How do guys in jail get so jacked?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
So this is obviously just for discussion sake but I was just wondering your guy's opinions.

Not proud to admitt but I have dont a very short stint and I have some friends/family who have done time. Some a long time, some not so much but they all agree with me when i bring it up. There are some massively muscular guys and it baffled me.

As much as we on the "outside" spend obsessing over various aspects of training (nutrition, recovery, supplements, diets, and even anabolics) and these guys dont really have access to any of this. Given it was only about four days I was there but their "weight room" was a very cheap and imcomplete set up and everybody knows the food is awful and you don't get very much. I also understand the fear of getting rapped and or killed be some kind of motivation lol.

So I know some of you guys might laugh this off but Im generally interested in opinions..

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I've been doing a body weight only workout for over a year,
Pull ups, dips pistol squats,
Granted, I'm currently using a Mir weight vest 75 lbs.
So it's possible

Peace

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
because all the non sense that is preached about on a daily basis is irrelevant in comarison to real life. my diet is far from the "norm" and i train 3 days a week with a full body split, eat less than a gram of protein per lb bodyweight with a ton of carbs and still continue to lose weight and maintain all my mass.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
They've got nothing but time and they definitely have access to hormones, they're able to get every other controlled substance in.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Oh I'm sure they can get steroids but I'm sure that's not all of it

skunkman

Awards
One would think that the consistency in their workouts and the copious amounts of rest plays an important role.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
have you ever seen someone who went in small and fat and came out big and ripped? no. The guys you see in there who are big were pretty big before they went in. Not that its impossible to make some gains there, but for the most part they started out not that far sizewise from where you saw them.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would be concerned that whatever they are taking are administered via crossing the rectal mucosa into the bloodstream; if you get my drift.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is something I've always wondered too. I can't understand it really. I think it has a lot to do with their diet.
The food they eat has so many calories in it and all they have is time to work it off. So I think it has a lot to do
with that. I also think that they have a lot of equipment to use too. Since they have so much time they just do
pushups and situps all day.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did 4 days in a west Virginia jail for underage drinking back in 2010. They fed us an under 1000 calorie diet.

Granted it wasn't prison, where things are diffetent, but no way do they get their protein needs or calorie needs from just the prison food.

So in conclusion, it is probably your few genetic freaks.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I thought about this too...
Good discussion.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think motivation and time has a lot to do with it. If you remove my family, friends, job and freedom from my life and the only thing I can do is focus my energy into bettering my body I garuntee I'd look a hell of a lot better than I do now-supplements or not.

SlyCamaro

Awards
have you ever seen someone who went in small and fat and came out big and ripped? no. The guys you see in there who are big were pretty big before they went in. Not that its impossible to make some gains there, but for the most part they started out not that far sizewise from where you saw them.
Actually kind of... My dads friend went in fat for about 8 months and came out looking huge! Didn't take to long before he lost it and got fat again!!! Lol

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Actually kind of... My dads friend went in fat for about 8 months and came out looking huge! Didn't take to long before he lost it and got fat again!!! Lol
Maybe it's the low calories and depression. :lol:

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
So this is obviously just for discussion sake but I was just wondering your guy's opinions.

Not proud to admitt but I have dont a very short stint and I have some friends/family who have done time. Some a long time, some not so much but they all agree with me when i bring it up. There are some massively muscular guys and it baffled me.

As much as we on the "outside" spend obsessing over various aspects of training (nutrition, recovery, supplements, diets, and even anabolics) and these guys dont really have access to any of this. Given it was only about four days I was there but their "weight room" was a very cheap and imcomplete set up and everybody knows the food is awful and you don't get very much. I also understand the fear of getting rapped and or killed be some kind of motivation lol.

So I know some of you guys might laugh this off but Im generally interested in opinions..
I used to be a CO several year ago an this does hold true to an extent, at least in prison. The food sucks, but it is nutritious, and three meals a day with plenty of rest is a recipe for getting big. Think about it, how often do most people eat three square meals a day? Less than you think.

Sent from my iPhone

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
^ Yep. My father ran a corrections facility for a number of years, and I remember reading that although the food is pretty sh****, they can get a large number of calories and the macros inmates are getting are not terrible. As godfather said, 3 square meals and plenty of prison lounging could be a decent recipe for growth.

That is, if you don't burn off all those calories trying not to getting Shawshank'd.

DrDeca

DrDeca

Awards
when i did 8 months i did push ups, curls(wrapping towel or blanket sheet around bar and curl with 2 hands sorta like rope hammer curl. and we did deck of cards for chest, sit ups. and squats with someone sitting on your shoulders. worked out hours in hours out. and 3 big meals so yea the calories were there.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
when i did 8 months i did push ups, curls(wrapping towel or blanket sheet around bar and curl with 2 hands sorta like rope hammer curl. and we did deck of cards for chest, sit ups. and squats with someone sitting on your shoulders. worked out hours in hours out. and 3 big meals so yea the calories were there.
What did u do with the deck of cards as far as sit ups go?

Squat with a person on shoulders nice haha...

What was the food/cal/macros like?

DrDeca

DrDeca

Awards
Each card has a value weather it be 2-10. which ever card is flopped over thats how much you gotta do. and think about it.... that many cards... lots of reps and it kills chest. great for doing push ups with them.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The elimination of free will

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

67nova

Awards
Been there,(dui)sober now for 6years but pull-ups on stairs,curls with water filled garbage bags wrapped in towels,push-ups,dips,hand stands,sit-ups,and so on....I actually got in good shape when i went in for 3months.

Eating bolonga/cheese,2%milk,nutty bars,p/b eat mostly from vending machines,and comnesary.Jail food was last resort as can only take so much spit/spuge in my food!!!!P.s its not all that bad if you get work release.

z00k

Awards
Because everyone on the outside over thinks EVERYTHING.

We've all read so many articles and advertisements that we feel that whatever works for Yates must work for us too.

My last room mate went in and did 5 months. He did a full body routine every day, couple hundred pushups from wide grip to close grip, squats using whatever he could find for weight, bicep curls with trash bags filled with water. (There were no weights for them to use)

He went in as a 150lb tweaker and came out abso-****ing-loutely shredded. Unrecognizable. His diet was regular prison food, and occasionally he would make "spreads" (ramen, with tuna, chili, chips, whatever could be mixed together and spread on some tortillas or bread)

People need to find something that works for them, rather than following a set routine and diet. I used to do upper 2x week and lower 2x a week. Now I train about 3x a week almost only compound lifts and eat when I'm hungry. I've made much better gains than using a set routine with a set diet.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

We've all read so many articles and advertisements that we feel that whatever works for Yates must work for us too.

My last room mate went in and did 5 months. He did a full body routine every day, couple hundred pushups from wide grip to close grip, squats using whatever he could find for weight, bicep curls with trash bags filled with water. (There were no weights for them to use)

He went in as a 150lb tweaker and came out abso-****ing-loutely shredded. Unrecognizable. His diet was regular prison food, and occasionally he would make "spreads" (ramen, with tuna, chili, chips, whatever could be mixed together and spread on some tortillas or bread)

People need to find something that works for them, rather than following a set routine and diet. I used to do upper 2x week and lower 2x a week. Now I train about 3x a week almost only compound lifts and eat when I'm hungry. I've made much better gains than using a set routine with a set diet.
But did u get shredded like ya buddy?

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
I've seen quite a few 500+ pound benchers! At Westville correctional facility a guy named big Mike benched 545. He was about 6'5" 290 looked like Julius peppers on the Bears! No protein powder, no hormones, no creatine! He used to do Arnold Presses with the 150's for 10 reps!!! I've seen a skinny 200 lbs man deadlift 700lbs

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I've seen quite a few 500+ pound benchers! At Westville correctional facility a guy named big Mike benched 545. He was about 6'5" 290 looked like Julius peppers on the Bears! No protein powder, no hormones, no creatine! He used to do Arnold Presses with the 150's for 10 reps!!! I've seen a skinny 200 lbs man deadlift 700lbs
We had a big ass weight pile at the prison I used to work at and I always seemed to have yard duty all the time, watching over those huge dudes. I was always like in ****ed if anything ever pop off.

Sent from my iPhone

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Get plenty of rest in prison. They eat plenty of peanut butter. If at all possible work in the kitchen where u have access to plenty of food. Believe it or not, less stress! Not all prisons are like what they Show on tv. No rent, school, taxes, kids, wives, bill collectors, drugs and alcohol...

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
We had a big ass weight pile at the prison I used to work at and I always seemed to have yard duty all the time, watching over those huge dudes. I was always like in ****ed if anything ever pop off.

Sent from my iPhone
Lol yeah I feel ya! I was a resident in a few prisons, never know who just got some bad news or their girls left them or just woke up ****ty!!

z00k

Awards
But did u get shredded like ya buddy?
Haha, yeah actually once I started listening to my body I really started seeing crazy gains.

Get plenty of rest in prison. They eat plenty of peanut butter. If at all possible work in the kitchen where u have access to plenty of food. Believe it or not, less stress! Not all prisons are like what they Show on tv. No rent, school, taxes, kids, wives, bill collectors, drugs and alcohol...
Minus the drugs and alcohol you're correct :p Although there are plenty of "hardcore" prisons.

There is a reason the prison industry is so profitable. Many people go in at a young age, get 3 hots and a cot. When they're released they know nothing else and end up preferring the prison life.

It's a messed up cycle. There are plenty of good articles and books written on the subject.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Minus the drugs and alcohol you're correct :p Although there are plenty of "hardcore" prisons.

There is a reason the prison industry is so profitable. Many people go in at a young age, get 3 hots and a cot. When they're released they know nothing else and end up preferring the prison life.

It's a messed up cycle. There are plenty of good articles and books written on the subject.
Yeah there is plenty of weed and homemade liquor but most of the hardcore weightlifters don't don't smoke n drink... Until they get out! Lol
I was never in a max security prison, was always in medium security. Lifting weights and watching sports passed the time.

jwal

Awards
The people who said the unlimited rest are right when you don't much all day you don't 5000 calories to be above your maintenance, and I'm the sure the guys who are getting huge in there are using there commonsery (spelled wrong) wisely and buying canned tuna peanut butter etc

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards

I agree everyone over thinks everything. My friend knew almost nothing about working out when he started and just worked out hard and ate lots of protein and got HUGE. Simplicity is key.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I agree everyone over thinks everything. My friend knew almost nothing about working out when he started and just worked out hard and ate lots of protein and got HUGE. Simplicity is key.
Good genetics? :p

Red9

Red9

Awards
I did seven months in county two years ago, and went in at 128lbs. Granted I was doing plenty of drugs before I got locked up, and obviously wasn't while I was there..

...but I walked out of there a solid 155 and was the biggest and most muscular I've ever been.. And the diet was complete junk, plus bread and peanut butter. All day. Every day. Day in, day out. I did pushups, lunges, pullups, crunches and a couple other things. I still wonder to this day how I managed to put on that weight so fast, and I wish I could do it out here!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Genetics.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Just a stereotype.... I spent over 10 years in the Texas prison system and the majority are overweight and out of shape. Those who do workout are in such a caloric surplus of course they get big. They pulled all of our free weights many years ago due to idiots using them as weapons... So all we had were calisthenics and machines. We worked all day in the fields then trained at least 2 hours a day eating everything we could get our hands on. Working in kitchen was a plus. Most of the guys you see who go in as drug addicts respond well to exercise and caloric surplus because they were proactively starving themselves while using. So yeah they gained weight.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
This is just conjecture, and I have nothing to base this on,
However, there is the possibility that the prison environment itself, can raise testosterone levels.
Just a possible theory.

Peace

DrDeca

DrDeca

Awards
**** genetics man, when your in its all hard work and 3 basic meals. plus some people hoop in AAS for people. **** genetics while your in

jasonk202

Awards
you have a very good schedule when you're in jail, you sleep early and get up early which is very important for the body bc in certain times of the night that's when you get your full REM for better recovery as well as keeping healthy test levels. do whatever you are assigned whether it be kitchen duties or laundry then you have your rec time which is where you would hit the weights then shower then get your phone calls in and have a solid 3 day meal but if you're working the kitchen then you get to have extra food and that will definitely get your weight up. so when you're in the penitentiary its pretty much made for you to become physically fit IF you take advantage of it. even with something as simple as drinking tons of water, you're not as spoiled as you are when you're in your homes so you just drink a ton of tap water. Eat, work, lift, sleep, repeat. putting your body into a very strict schedule will do wonders for your body.

jasonk202

Awards
Just a stereotype.... I spent over 10 years in the Texas prison system and the majority are overweight and out of shape. Those who do workout are in such a caloric surplus of course they get big. They pulled all of our free weights many years ago due to idiots using them as weapons... So all we had were calisthenics and machines. We worked all day in the fields then trained at least 2 hours a day eating everything we could get our hands on. Working in kitchen was a plus. Most of the guys you see who go in as drug addicts respond well to exercise and caloric surplus because they were proactively starving themselves while using. So yeah they gained weight.
LOLL in the DC area they took away the weight equipment bc the inmates were becoming bigger than the CO's and they were getting man handled. we actually got some weight equipment from mike tyson in one of the places i did some time but that got taken away.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
LOLL in the DC area they took away the weight equipment bc the inmates were becoming bigger than the CO's and they were getting man handled. we actually got some weight equipment from mike tyson in one of the places i did some time but that got taken away.
Wow :lol:

Said the guards were getting man handled.
It's true, I wonder how inmates come out swole but it's hard for outsiders with access to nice gyms and tons of supplements.

Red9

Red9

Awards
They cut the weight equipment out here in AZ a few years back too, for the same reason...inmates were posing a threat because of how big they were getting. Still swole guys on the yards though