Barbell Proud!!!

AFpump

AFpump

Awards
I know that most of you will think this is light weight, but I think its a huge step for me. This morning my workout called for squats and stiff leg lifts. I work on my own as the guy I'm working with is in another city miles away, train through email and what ever. I normally run from barbells as I don't trust myself with them. I've been using the smith machine for squats.

So this morning, I bit the bullet and did squats for the first time at the squat rack using a barbell, max wt for me...145. Had no problem and used correct form and got a good pump. I'm over the moon I could do it. :lol:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats! Just remember it's not the weight on the bar that matters most, but your form. Everybody starts somewhere, and 145 for a first-time squatter ain't bad. IIRC, Dave Tate said he got "stapled" by 135 when he first started squatting with a powerlifting stance.

AFpump

AFpump

Awards
I've been squatting with a smith machine, but never a barbell. LOL But I get where you are coming from. Thanks!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Do you have access to a squat rack. It is alot better than a smith machine. By a way congrats! and remember it does not matter what other lift. As long as you are improving its great

audix2359

audix2359

Awards
It takes some nuts to post on a board that you just hit a 145# squat and you're not a girl.

I was trying to train this dude, he's 22 and he was having trouble with the bar - he was all over the map. So everyone starts somewhere. Keep squatting and eating and you will be repping 225 before you know it, and then you'll be off to 315.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats, man. Just remember that good form squat you did is better than 90% of people out there.