Attention to all! ABBS

MeatHead1o1

MeatHead1o1

Awards
I've heard a lot of different things when it comes to training abs . I currently do not have a defined stomach and would like a six pack however , I can't decide how I want to work my abs. I need the frequency and volume of ab workouts , so what do you all think ?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Abs are made in the kitchen

Reactions: ITW
Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Crunches on ball, ab machine, squats, dead lift, cable crunches, planks, some cardio the a few I use. Of course eat clean.

MeatHead1o1

MeatHead1o1

Awards
Crunches on ball, ab machine, squats, dead lift, cable crunches, planks, some cardio the a few I use. Of course eat clean.
What about how many days a week you train your abs ? I know you need to give them time to rest? But my current plan has me doing them one day a week and I don't think that is enough

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Some people will disagree.. I do three to four. Start off with three n see how it goes.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So the seated crunch machines are a waste of time? Damn I have been at it for so long... I thought they were doing their part. I mean my abs were mushy soft when I started and now quite hard. I refer to strength not the "300" six pack look.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I've heard that many times. But they also need training , they just don't grow themselves
Well, true to an extent. Unless you're in the lower range of the spectrum when it comes to bodyfat (i.e. 13% or lower) no matter how big your abs are or how much you have exercised them, they are still not going to show.

SlyCamaro

Awards
They NEED TO BE TRAINED!!! If you dont build the muscle just like any other muscle they will look weak! Low body fat will show them, but if you dont train them they will look nothing like they could look. You think Stallone built his mid section on the kitchen alone, train you abbs and low body fat... it takes both! I started doing abbs 2-3 times a week from once a week and I can see a difference at basicly the same body fat.

My brother thought like this, he got down to around 9-8% over the summer and had crap for abbs! He never does them and even at low body fat you can tell they just dont have that shape or hard look.

riddles

riddles

Awards
This is a quick ab routine I like to do:
20 sit-ups
20 crunches
20 side-to-side heel touches (2-count: touching each heel once counts as 1)
20 flutter kicks (4-count)
20 Hello Darlings (4-count)
20 Mad Russians (2-count)
20 side crunches left
20 side crunches right
30 sec plank
30 sec side plank left
30 sec side plank right

Run through them start to finish with no rest besides transition time. You will feel the burn. I usually do this at the end of my workout. Right now I workout 5 days a week, so I hit abs 5x week. I usually only do one set, but every now and then I will do two. I'm also a fan of hitting a set here and there of various weighted ab exercises between my main lifts.

Your core (abs, obliques, lower back) plays a big role in overall strength and stability. Pretty much everything you do in regards to moving, you engage your core. If you have a weak core, you have a weak body and vice versa. IMO, you should train the core as aften as your body can handle.

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
What about how many days a week you train your abs ? I know you need to give them time to rest? But my current plan has me doing them one day a week and I don't think that is enough
I do abs everyday after my main lifts, unless they're really sore.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
They NEED TO BE TRAINED!!! If you dont build the muscle just like any other muscle they will look weak! Low body fat will show them, but if you dont train them they will look nothing like they could look. You think Stallone built his mid section on the kitchen alone, train you abbs and low body fat... it takes both! I started doing abbs 2-3 times a week from once a week and I can see a difference at basicly the same body fat.

My brother thought like this, he got down to around 9-8% over the summer and had crap for abbs! He never does them and even at low body fat you can tell they just dont have that shape or hard look.
There are plenty of people who do have abs to show and don't work them out frequently. And it's a combination, but just working your abs hard won't make them pop. Eating right and getting to low bodyfat is what will.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I do abs everyday after my main lifts, unless they're really sore.
hmm.. You do realise that they are a muscle group that require rest? They only need a couple of days at most of direct stimulation because many other lifts indirectly hit these. If you constantly hit them, and never allowing them to rest, you are probably going to cause them to become the weak link in your lifting session given that power transfer happens from the feet up in most lifts. If you have a weak link in the train (due to constant muscle tissue damage or weak muscles in general) then they won't be engaged as much as they could be.