Review my custom workout. Perfect all rounder

lew dog

lew dog

Awards
Hi guys,

Been a member on other forums such elite fitness for some time. Thought id sign up here to, looks like a good forum. :)

Age 23
Training seriously for 3 years, 180 lbs from the UK !

Currently on the following

Mon: Chest + arms

Wed: legs + abs

Fri: back + shoulders

-----------------------------------

Want to change to this ( designed by myself) reps will range from 5 - 10. More focused on how the split looks at the moment. Made this to combine strength, hypertrophy and iso work for shape.

Mon: Back/ Traps

2-3 x Deadlift
4x Bent over rows
1 x Squats
4x Pulldowns/ pull ups
2x Shrugs

Wed: Chest/ Abs

3 x Bench
3 x weighted Dips
3 x Incline db press
2 x Pullover
2 x Flyes

2 x Situps
2 x Leg raises
2 x cable crunches

Fri: Legs / Biceps

4 x Squats
3 x Leg press
3 x Extensions
3-4 x Calf raises

3 x BB curls
1x Hammer curls

Sun: Shoulders/ Tris

3 x BB military press
2 x DB seated press
2 x Side raises

1 x Flat bench press
2-3 x tricep extensions

----

Let me no what u guys reckon. Im all ears

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
It's not balanced and I'd omit a few exercises and replace them but some will argue the other way. Regardless take a look at this:

http://www.philipmelillo.com/anatomy_bodyposition.htm

Read it and make sure your basing your exercise choice on joint movement. Biggest problems if your going to go with this plan are the complete lack of horizontal extension, hip extension and hip (ab)adduction. While squats do cover your hip extension id still incorporate something along the lines of RDLs or good mornings.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I second what NYiron stated.

Too much anterior based work, not enough posterior work. (IOW: Too much chest, front/medial delts, quads. Not enough back, glutes, hamstrings)

Br

lew dog

lew dog

Awards
Okay thanks for your input, is there anything you would swap around or does the split look fairly good other than that ?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
why the change? how did you decide what to change to? what is the reason for each change?

you have 9 compound pressing movements along with 4 more iso exercises for pressing. you only have 8 pulling movements. the pressing is spread out over 2 days therefore you will be fresher for more sets and have an increased intensity. so that is imbalanced and must be fixed. for every push you must have at least 1 pull in the opposite direction.

on legs, drop the extensions all together and do more hamstring work.

your lower body exercises, including calf work is 18 total sets. your upper body has 43 sets. that is way out of balance. half your muscle is in the lower half. yes, there are many more angles you need to hit to cover all the back exercises but you can do that and make a bit better balanced routine. 2-3 back exercises should be able to hit all the back you need. that gives you overhead and supine pressing movements and you are more balanced.

i do like how you have deadlifts and squats in the program though. so good point there.

lew dog

lew dog

Awards
why the change? how did you decide what to change to? what is the reason for each change?

you have 9 compound pressing movements along with 4 more iso exercises for pressing. you only have 8 pulling movements. the pressing is spread out over 2 days therefore you will be fresher for more sets and have an increased intensity. so that is imbalanced and must be fixed. for every push you must have at least 1 pull in the opposite direction.

on legs, drop the extensions all together and do more hamstring work.

your lower body exercises, including calf work is 18 total sets. your upper body has 43 sets. that is way out of balance. half your muscle is in the lower half. yes, there are many more angles you need to hit to cover all the back exercises but you can do that and make a bit better balanced routine. 2-3 back exercises should be able to hit all the back you need. that gives you overhead and supine pressing movements and you are more balanced.

i do like how you have deadlifts and squats in the program though. so good point there.
Thanks for the response. I feel I need to change, progress is slowing and feel like I could benefit an extra day in the gym. I work in an office so feel lazy if I dont keep occupied. Please tell me how I can incorporate more back and ham work? What would your ideal set up look like ? Thanks

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i would just use a proven program that matches my goals. that way i know its balanced, i know it has progression built in, i know it tells me when to reset or take time off.

so, you want size and strength. try a 5x5 program or a 5/3/1 with boring but big template.