Would love some input!!

jboatown

Awards
Hey guys..hope all is well.

Anyway, I'm curious on what you think about the volume of my workouts...Does it seem to be too much? I've been lifting serious (meaning dedicated to my nutrition and meals, as well as workouts) for about a year and half. Getting in around 2,600 calories a day. I'm 25 years old currently.

I weight lift three days a week (Tuesday-Chest, Thurs-Back, Fri-Shoulders/ Legs)...Chest, Back, and Legs all get 12 sets total, four different exercises. Shoulders get nine sets total with three different exercises. Each workout I give 100%, go until failure on each set (slow warm set in the beginning of workout, just focusing on the stretch) and pyramid my weights (so my heaviest set I will rep 7-8 times) I also do two days of H.I.I.T sprint sessions..Monday and Wednesday. I take the weekends off. Every eight weeks I take a week off..if that helps.

Any help is really appreciated,

Thanks.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
If you're still progressing why change? (Assuming you are still progressing)

jboatown

Awards
Thanks for the input...guess you're right. Any other input is apprecaited.. Thanks!!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
no need to go to failure on every single exercise. other then that it doesnt seem like much volume at all. although you caloric intake does seem low. i can eat that in a meal and i am not gaining weight at all.

jboatown

Awards
no need to go to failure on every single exercise. other then that it doesnt seem like much volume at all. although you caloric intake does seem low. i can eat that in a meal and i am not gaining weight at all.
Thanks man. So no need to go to failure on each set? I appreciate the info....and yes, increasing my calories slowly..i tend to gain fat easily, so i need to keep that in check as well.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Thanks man. So no need to go to failure on each set? I appreciate the info....and yes, increasing my calories slowly..i tend to gain fat easily, so i need to keep that in check as well.
if you need more calories and dont want to add on much fat, then read up on carb backloading.

jboatown

Awards
if you need more calories and dont want to add on much fat, then read up on carb backloading.
Thanks, will do. So how come not to failure on all my sets? Should I stop maybe a rep beforehand?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
going to failure consistently is a way to get injured. although it is like smoking. you may be able to do it for 30 years and not get lung cancer but we all know smoking has many harmful side effects. just do it only when it will benefit your workout to help you reach your goal. seeing your rep range i would say you dont need it much. it is fine to strain that last rep but make sure you can complete the concentric portion on your own and you should be able to push plenty hard enough and not push yourself over the edge.

and remember, you are trying to stimulate growth, not hurt yourself. so do what you need to grow not just to show off. as long as your program has a built in progression scheme, in other words it increases the load via increased weight, sets, reps, etc and you are improving each week then you are seeing results and keep moving forward.

remember, this is a marathon. something to look forward to over a lifetime. it is not a sprint that you finish this year and then done. if you notice the main part of the bodybuilders and strength athletes have many years and some well more then a decade of lifting behind them before they are known. so be patient and stay injury free and keep pushing forward.

jboatown

Awards
going to failure consistently is a way to get injured. although it is like smoking. you may be able to do it for 30 years and not get lung cancer but we all know smoking has many harmful side effects. just do it only when it will benefit your workout to help you reach your goal. seeing your rep range i would say you dont need it much. it is fine to strain that last rep but make sure you can complete the concentric portion on your own and you should be able to push plenty hard enough and not push yourself over the edge.

and remember, you are trying to stimulate growth, not hurt yourself. so do what you need to grow not just to show off. as long as your program has a built in progression scheme, in other words it increases the load via increased weight, sets, reps, etc and you are improving each week then you are seeing results and keep moving forward.

remember, this is a marathon. something to look forward to over a lifetime. it is not a sprint that you finish this year and then done. if you notice the main part of the bodybuilders and strength athletes have many years and some well more then a decade of lifting behind them before they are known. so be patient and stay injury free and keep pushing forward.
Awesome. Thanks for your words and input. Lift on brother.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Every few weeks vary the rep range. Every few months change your routine. Keep your muscles guessing.

boogyman

Awards
Every few weeks vary the rep range. Every few months change your routine. Keep your muscles guessing.
Muscles do not guess or think. If your routine is working keep doing it. And if you need to change your routine after a few months than it sucked to begin with.

jboatown

Awards
Muscles do not guess or think. If your routine is working keep doing it. And if you need to change your routine after a few months than it sucked to begin with.
Yeah...i just switch up my exercises, no change in routine just yet.