ADDING SIZE

rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
Ok guys.. Been power lifting sense early 20's, now 45 & arthritis in neck & shoulders has given me a reality check. I want to add muscle size & do more bodybuilding. My question is... should I stay with higher reps & shorter rest? Would it be better to do sets of 6-8 reps at 60 sec, or should I do sets of lighter weight for10-12-15 at 60 sec? Im using bench pressing as my example.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok guys.. Been power lifting sense early 20's, now 45 & arthritis in neck & shoulders has given me a reality check. I want to add muscle size & do more bodybuilding. My question is... should I stay with higher reps & shorter rest? Would it be better to do sets of 6-8 reps at 60 sec, or should I do sets of lighter weight for10-12-15 at 60 sec? Im using bench pressing as my example.
It's a good debate man...

grandroid828

Awards
With bench pressing as your example, i would say 6-8 would work better. Its a compound. And im of the beleif that compound is better suited for overall mass and strength, but isnt necessarily the fastest way to size. For size. I would say swap for maybe incline dumbbell press and some flyes, 10-12 reps. That would give MOST people better size gains than bench would in either rep range.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
for bench definately stay in the 6-8 range. reason being that going high reps on those compound movements will tear your joints and stabilizrs to the point of bad form. 12-15 rep dedadlifts? no thanks

rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
Yeah, I usually do 6-8 on bench & incline dumbells. Then i hit cable cross overs for 3 sets of 12. If Im feeling up for it, at the end of my chest wotkout I do 3 quick sets of 10-12 reps on a machine at 45 sec. rest.

grandroid828

Awards
Yeah, I usually do 6-8 on bench & incline dumbells. Then i hit cable cross overs for 3 sets of 12. If Im feeling up for it, at the end of my chest wotkout I do 3 quick sets of 10-12 reps on a machine at 45 sec. rest.
Sounds ideal

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Great plan!

rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
The only question is... stay with 60 sec rest on the 6-8 reps? Easy to do 6-8 with 225 @ 2 min rest, but try it with 60 sec..