Need advice on tweaking this program

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Balance of internal:external rotators and planes is not a novel concept. Spend some time to learn about it and then apply it to your training. As you have it, you have very little horizontal extension and way too much horizontal flexion. You say that you're not a beginner, but do not know a somewhat basic concept of balance of the humerus to ensure proper posture and avoid impingements/injuries.
    Shoulder pronation is all too common in the gym. What he's saying is that your exercises aren't quite as balanced as they could be. Your chest and lats are getting a lot of work but your postural muscles are not. Despite being part of your back, your lats are pronators. in other words, over development of chest and lats will cause your shoulders to roll forward and together. Your back day should have more scapular retraction work where you focus on keeping your chest up and shoulders back, squeezing your shoulder blades together like a motherf***er. You can do this with most row variations.

    As for the rest of the program, maybe cut down on your workout days. Go to a 3 or 4 day program. Group pushing exercises with pulling exercises etc. Ive always had good success increasing intensity and lowering volume. You'd be surprised how much progress you can make by cutting down on the number of exercises you do each workout. You don't need to hit every angle and exercises to stimulate a muscle group. A 2 hour workout isn't necessarily better than an efficient 45 minute one. Switch it up for a month and then see what happens when you jack the volume back up


  2. Quote Originally Posted by The Storm16

    Shoulder pronation is all too common in the gym. What he's saying is that your exercises aren't quite as balanced as they could be. Your chest and lats are getting a lot of work but your postural muscles are not. Despite being part of your back, your lats are pronators. in other words, over development of chest and lats will cause your shoulders to roll forward and together. Your back day should have more scapular retraction work where you focus on keeping your chest up and shoulders back, squeezing your shoulder blades together like a motherf***er. You can do this with most row variations.

    As for the rest of the program, maybe cut down on your workout days. Go to a 3 or 4 day program. Group pushing exercises with pulling exercises etc. Ive always had good success increasing intensity and lowering volume. You'd be surprised how much progress you can make by cutting down on the number of exercises you do each workout. You don't need to hit every angle and exercises to stimulate a muscle group. A 2 hour workout isn't necessarily better than an efficient 45 minute one. Switch it up for a month and then see what happens when you jack the volume back up
    Sorry, I definitely just repeated what everyone else said. For some reason the other replies didn't show up on my phone before
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Yes, there's a good amount of research supporting the need for more frequent training to induce strength and muscle growth in more experienced lifters. Don't fall into the muscle magazine "blast it once a week" rut.
    I would agree with this cause a lot of people "don't" blast it enough.
    Plus I've seen a lot of guys in my gym hitting multiple muscle groups a day.
    I'm in order for a upper & lower body split.

    Hell some ppl even do a full body, tried that once (with cardio) too and that taxes your ass for sure.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by The Storm16 View Post
    Shoulder pronation is all too common in the gym. What he's saying is that your exercises aren't quite as balanced as they could be. Your chest and lats are getting a lot of work but your postural muscles are not. Despite being part of your back, your lats are pronators. in other words, over development of chest and lats will cause your shoulders to roll forward and together. Your back day should have more scapular retraction work where you focus on keeping your chest up and shoulders back, squeezing your shoulder blades together like a motherf***er. You can do this with most row variations.

    As for the rest of the program, maybe cut down on your workout days. Go to a 3 or 4 day program. Group pushing exercises with pulling exercises etc. Ive always had good success increasing intensity and lowering volume. You'd be surprised how much progress you can make by cutting down on the number of exercises you do each workout. You don't need to hit every angle and exercises to stimulate a muscle group. A 2 hour workout isn't necessarily better than an efficient 45 minute one. Switch it up for a month and then see what happens when you jack the volume back up
    I'm picking up what you're laying down. I'm very strict with my form and ensure that my shoulders do not roll forward when I'm training chest. I also ensure my shoulder blades are pinched together and my back is arches when I train back... I'm big on form over weight and I'm always correcting my training partners form. If I can't do the exercise right with a specific weight, I'll lower the weight until I can do it right.

    I'm going to stick with the second split I listed above. I'll be working each muscle group twice a week. So you think DB shoulder press, lateral raises, and reverse pec-deck (posterior shoulder), and shrugs isn't enough shoulder work for one session? And then the same thing next session except BB shoulder press instead of DB? If not, what should I add to balance out my program?

  5. I edited the above listed split B to reflect what I'm going to go with. I started today with the Monday routine and really felt good with doing flat bench and switching my main compounds to 5X5.

    The reason what I had pull ups listed with the lat pulldowns is because I was doing the pull ups as a warm up. Being an active duty Marine, I do a lot of pull ups and they're really not challenging. But they're good for a warm up. I like lat pulldowns because I can really focus on form and isolating the lats.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by IPOM
    I edited the above listed split B to reflect what I'm going to go with. I started today with the Monday routine and really felt good with doing flat bench and switching my main compounds to 5X5.

    The reason what I had pull ups listed with the lat pulldowns is because I was doing the pull ups as a warm up. Being an active duty Marine, I do a lot of pull ups and they're really not challenging. But they're good for a warm up. I like lat pulldowns because I can really focus on form and isolating the lats.
    If bw isn't challenging add weight.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. need advice on this cycle
    By psc in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 01:20 AM
  3. need advice on this TRN-X & magnarole
    By Gtstang86 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
  4. need advice on this rountie
    By keater824 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 12:39 AM
  5. Need advice on my "stack"
    By AlexParty in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Log in
Log in