conditioning for sport

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Anybody know any post workout training at the gym that I can do to enhance fat loss and increase conditioing for cricket?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pace of cricket similar to that of baseball? If so, there really isn't much "conditioning" needed per se. Outside of GPP and some Metcon, you wouldn't need to add much for performance.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pace of cricket similar to that of baseball? If so, there really isn't much "conditioning" needed per se. Outside of GPP and some Metcon, you wouldn't need to add much for performance.
There's plenty of conditioning needed for baseball. Granted there's some players that could definitely stand to lose a few pounds but with a long season conditioning is a huge part of baseball. I pitched in college and I can assure you, we ran our asses off.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's plenty of conditioning needed for baseball. Granted there's some players that could definitely stand to lose a few pounds but with a long season conditioning is a huge part of baseball. I pitched in college and I can assure you, we ran our asses off.
Running is not conditioning nor is it applicable for any position in baseball. Weight control, yes, but little beyond that.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Running is not conditioning nor is it applicable for any position in baseball. Weight control, yes, but little beyond that.
So you are saying that a pitcher that throws 120 pitches in a game doesn't need to do any running? A center fielder that is sprinting after balls in the outfield and running around the bases 162 games doesn't need to do any running? Come on now, I can appreciate that people don't like baseball but to say that isn't needed is silly. Also how is running not conditioning?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So you are saying that a pitcher that throws 120 pitches in a game doesn't need to do any running? A center fielder that is sprinting after balls in the outfield and running around the bases 162 games doesn't need to do any running? Come on now, I can appreciate that people don't like baseball but to say that isn't needed is silly. Also how is running not conditioning?
Conditioning is a relative term for a particular sport and is not universal. What you described are anaerobic activities and running, which is a rhythmic, aerobic activity, is not a particularly effective method for increasing performance in this area. The modality of training used should be simliar in nature to the characteristics of the sport and running does not fit this criteria. This is just another example of tradition being followed dogmatically even though it has little, if any, crossover to the actual sport.

For example, in a scouting report, you will never see XX player can run a mile in 5 minutes because it is irrelevant to the sport, but you may see that it takes only 3s to get to first base. This type of speed is not developed by running; it is developed through anaerobic activities such as sled drags, Prowler pushed, resisted sprints (either by a band or a parachute), etc.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While I agree with Rodja, I am also going to throw a bit of a wrench into the conversation.

Yes, for most position players baseball is a phosphagen dominant sport...at least the competition.

However, if you look toward the training and practice, you will see that much of the activities require a high glycolytic capacity. Fielding of ground balls for 20 minutes straight, working mechanics, etc. all requires a level of conditioning. The recovery between anaerobic bursts is accomplished via the aerobic system.

That said..............a VO2max of 50 ml/kg/min is optimal for recovering between anaerobic bursts. Very little aerobic work is actually needed to achieve this level if anaerobic lactic work is sufficient.

So, running a few miles is not very useful, but repeated sprints and/or shuttle runs will be beneficial for developing energy systems.

To the orriginal poster, what is your #1 goal. Is it fat loss or cricket performance?

If it is the latter, then where in the season are you? Offseason, preseason, in season, post season, etc.?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Look at what a wicket keeper and batsman does

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
While I agree with Rodja, I am also going to throw a bit of a wrench into the conversation.

Yes, for most position players baseball is a phosphagen dominant sport...at least the competition.

However, if you look toward the training and practice, you will see that much of the activities require a high glycolytic capacity. Fielding of ground balls for 20 minutes straight, working mechanics, etc. all requires a level of conditioning. The recovery between anaerobic bursts is accomplished via the aerobic system.

That said..............a VO2max of 50 ml/kg/min is optimal for recovering between anaerobic bursts. Very little aerobic work is actually needed to achieve this level if anaerobic lactic work is sufficient.

So, running a few miles is not very useful, but repeated sprints and/or shuttle runs will be beneficial for developing energy systems.

To the orriginal poster, what is your #1 goal. Is it fat loss or cricket performance?

If it is the latter, then where in the season are you? Offseason, preseason, in season, post season, etc.?
B,
It's during season, but could lose say 5lbs at MOST

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ideally, if your concern is cricket, then your "cardio" should be intense and low of volume, with a focus on sport specific sprinting/movement patterns. Perhaps 1 day a week dedicated to lower speed, higher volume conditioning.

The rest is in diet. Figuring out your caloric needs, estimating whether you have an efficient or inefficient metabolism, prescribing macros, and coming in 300-400 kcal below maintenance (since much more than that woudl start to comprimise performance.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ideally, if your concern is cricket, then your "cardio" should be intense and low of volume, with a focus on sport specific sprinting/movement patterns. Perhaps 1 day a week dedicated to lower speed, higher volume conditioning.

The rest is in diet. Figuring out your caloric needs, estimating whether you have an efficient or inefficient metabolism, prescribing macros, and coming in 300-400 kcal below maintenance (since much more than that woudl start to comprimise performance.
Best and most accurate kcal calculator? I wish I didn't have that issue I spoke with you Jay, or I would have asked for the help a while ago when we first started chatting.

I do 1 day a week where I doing 20 x 20m sprints every 6 seconds, and also 10x15m where I lay on stomach or back vice versa and jump up to sprint...because I am a keeper, and use YouTube to check out our style of movement and pattern, and you see that we do a lot of hand eye work and movement related

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have two thoughts on that.

1. Set a fatigue level for the springs. Time your 20, and then set a 5-6% fatigue level. Take your 20 time and multiply it by 1.06. That's the time you should be running the 20's in. Once you slow past that, stop. More sprinting in such a fatigued state can ingrain poor movement patterns. Over the course of time you should see both your 20 time get better, and the number of sprints you can do before 6% fatigue sets in become more.

2. Use longer sprints, or shuttles for conditioning purposes. Such as 80 yard (20x4) shuttles with longer recovery periods.

Email me about the calculator.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have two thoughts on that.

1. Set a fatigue level for the springs. Time your 20, and then set a 5-6% fatigue level. Take your 20 time and multiply it by 1.06. That's the time you should be running the 20's in. Once you slow past that, stop. More sprinting in such a fatigued state can ingrain poor movement patterns. Over the course of time you should see both your 20 time get better, and the number of sprints you can do before 6% fatigue sets in become more.

2. Use longer sprints, or shuttles for conditioning purposes. Such as 80 yard (20x4) shuttles with longer recovery periods.

Email me about the calculator.
Wow...
Do you have a kcal calculator that you use that is accurate?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Accurate would be to hook you up to a portable gas analyzer for a few days.

What I have is a complex formula put together based on research and what seems to provide the most valid estimations of RMR, body type, activity, TEF, etc. Unless someone wants to fund (hint hint) a study, I have yet to determine reliability and accuracy of my formula. What I do have is countless success stories from clients and friends who I have applied it to.

Br

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Accurate would be to hook you up to a portable gas analyzer for a few days.

What I have is a complex formula put together based on research and what seems to provide the most valid estimations of RMR, body type, activity, TEF, etc. Unless someone wants to fund (hint hint) a study, I have yet to determine reliability and accuracy of my formula. What I do have is countless success stories from clients and friends who I have applied it to.

Br
I did do that once. My rmr was 1480 but I was skinnier and less lbm. I'm 10kg heavier and 3%bf less.
What u reckon?