Getting frustrated!!!

VinD

VinD

Awards
I've been training for years and have developed a pretty nice physique, but I seem to have trouble stimulating my upper chest fibers. I've tried it all, machines, narrower grip on bench/incline, bringing the bar down to my lower and upper sternum, incline flys with many different forms, cable flys with an upward and downward motion... Maybe I'm trying too hard? Anyone have good advice for hitting the upper chest fibers?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Add chains and bars, do speed bench that way with lower reps...Also maybe try flexing more then back and the traps and getting the chest even a bit more expanded...At least that has worked for me, but...I am not a pro at this, it's just what worked for me

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been training for years and have developed a pretty nice physique, but I seem to have trouble stimulating my upper chest fibers. I've tried it all, machines, narrower grip on bench/incline, bringing the bar down to my lower and upper sternum, incline flys with many different forms, cable flys with an upward and downward motion... Maybe I'm trying too hard? Anyone have good advice for hitting the upper chest fibers?
have you tried some reverse grip bench presses?(straight or with an incline bench)

Got some nice results from those. Still use it sometimes as 2nd or third exercise after incline presses or fly.

VinD

VinD

Awards
Tried reversing my grip once... Didn't like it... maybe I'll try again since now I know others do it too.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tried reversing my grip once... Didn't like it... maybe I'll try again since now I know others do it too.
it hurts my wrist a little, so I don't go to heavy....sometimes I use dumbbells, less strain on my wrists

VinD

VinD

Awards
Can't post a link yet (I'm a newbie) but google search "multi grip barbell"...

I need one of these!

VinD

VinD

Awards
Can't post a link yet (I'm a newbie) but google search "multi grip barbell"...

I need one of these!

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Personally I feel the upper chest fibers the most when doing wide grip, incline smith guillotine presses. I set the bench about 2 stops back and get set up so that the bar comes right down to the base of my throat. With a wide grip and a focus on the part of the pec you want to train, I've found it works really well. Make sure your scaps are completely retracted as well as I feel that makes a big difference for chest recruitment.

Try supersetting it with medium incline flies and you should be able to get some good contraction up there!

Good luck, it's a hard area to target.

VinD

VinD

Awards
Personally I feel the upper chest fibers the most when doing wide grip, incline smith guillotine presses. I set the bench about 2 stops back and get set up so that the bar comes right down to the base of my throat. With a wide grip and a focus on the part of the pec you want to train, I've found it works really well. Make sure your scaps are completely retracted as well as I feel that makes a big difference for chest recruitment.

Try supersetting it with medium incline flies and you should be able to get some good contraction up there!

Good luck, it's a hard area to target.
I'll give it a try!

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
i like to use cables to hit em hard! use a incline bench in the cable cross machine. i will hit it like there DBs and pause and squeeze and hold at the top, making sure to straighten the arms at the top to get full contraction. try on your last rep to hold that contraction for 10-12 seconds... iv found if you can hold it longer then that, it wasnt or shouldnt have been your last rep.