Getting frustrated!!!

  1. New Member
    VinD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.93%

    Angry Getting frustrated!!!


    I've been training for years and have developed a pretty nice physique, but I seem to have trouble stimulating my upper chest fibers. I've tried it all, machines, narrower grip on bench/incline, bringing the bar down to my lower and upper sternum, incline flys with many different forms, cable flys with an upward and downward motion... Maybe I'm trying too hard? Anyone have good advice for hitting the upper chest fibers?

  2. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Add chains and bars, do speed bench that way with lower reps...Also maybe try flexing more then back and the traps and getting the chest even a bit more expanded...At least that has worked for me, but...I am not a pro at this, it's just what worked for me
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. Elite Member
    edje007's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,281
    Rep Power
    2026251
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    48.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VinD
    I've been training for years and have developed a pretty nice physique, but I seem to have trouble stimulating my upper chest fibers. I've tried it all, machines, narrower grip on bench/incline, bringing the bar down to my lower and upper sternum, incline flys with many different forms, cable flys with an upward and downward motion... Maybe I'm trying too hard? Anyone have good advice for hitting the upper chest fibers?
    have you tried some reverse grip bench presses?(straight or with an incline bench)

    Got some nice results from those. Still use it sometimes as 2nd or third exercise after incline presses or fly.
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    VinD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.93%

    Tried reversing my grip once... Didn't like it... maybe I'll try again since now I know others do it too.
  5. Elite Member
    edje007's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,281
    Rep Power
    2026251
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    48.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VinD
    Tried reversing my grip once... Didn't like it... maybe I'll try again since now I know others do it too.
    it hurts my wrist a little, so I don't go to heavy....sometimes I use dumbbells, less strain on my wrists
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  6. New Member
    VinD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.93%

    Can't post a link yet (I'm a newbie) but google search "multi grip barbell"...

    I need one of these!
  7. New Member
    VinD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.93%

    Can't post a link yet (I'm a newbie) but google search "multi grip barbell"...

    I need one of these!
  8. New Member
    Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    8629
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    31.56%

    Personally I feel the upper chest fibers the most when doing wide grip, incline smith guillotine presses. I set the bench about 2 stops back and get set up so that the bar comes right down to the base of my throat. With a wide grip and a focus on the part of the pec you want to train, I've found it works really well. Make sure your scaps are completely retracted as well as I feel that makes a big difference for chest recruitment.

    Try supersetting it with medium incline flies and you should be able to get some good contraction up there!

    Good luck, it's a hard area to target.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  9. New Member
    VinD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.93%

    Quote Originally Posted by Doss View Post
    Personally I feel the upper chest fibers the most when doing wide grip, incline smith guillotine presses. I set the bench about 2 stops back and get set up so that the bar comes right down to the base of my throat. With a wide grip and a focus on the part of the pec you want to train, I've found it works really well. Make sure your scaps are completely retracted as well as I feel that makes a big difference for chest recruitment.

    Try supersetting it with medium incline flies and you should be able to get some good contraction up there!


    Good luck, it's a hard area to target.
    I'll give it a try!
  10. Advanced Member
    usealittle's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    547
    Rep Power
    14970
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    48.05%

    i like to use cables to hit em hard! use a incline bench in the cable cross machine. i will hit it like there DBs and pause and squeeze and hold at the top, making sure to straighten the arms at the top to get full contraction. try on your last rep to hold that contraction for 10-12 seconds... iv found if you can hold it longer then that, it wasnt or shouldnt have been your last rep.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. getting frustrated need motivation
    By live to lift in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 09:07 PM
  3. Getting Frustrated
    By DieselPump in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 12:25 AM
  4. How do figure skaters get so strong?
    By bigbadboss101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in