How to build a huge middle back/trap?

jasonk202

Awards
Hey guys i've been becoming very frustrated with building my middle back. From the neck to the trap to the middle back just doesn't grow, i feel like whenever i work my back a lot of the work gets put on my lats. i grow wide very quickly but can't seem to thicken up the middle neck portion of my body. I could really use some help, thanks guys.

jasonk202

Awards
How much can you deadlift?
well depends.. a 2-3 rep max 315. i haven't really maxed out yet to see how much i can i crank in a 1 rep max yet.

this will be my back workout for the next 4-6 weeks though.. setsxreps just incase you're wondering what the numbers are about.

DEADLIFT 6x5-6, ELEVATED DEADLIFTS 4X2-3, BB ROWS 5X5-8, DB ROWS 5X6-8, CLOSE GRIP CABLE ROWS 5X6-8, PULL UPS TO FAILURE

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Interested in this. I can dead lift a good 435 for 3-3 but my back still is pretty small.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts and rows. Really concentrate on the contraction with the rows and hold a pause at the top of the movement.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
T-bar rows are really good for the middle part of the back.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hey guys i've been becoming very frustrated with building my middle back. From the neck to the trap to the middle back just doesn't grow, i feel like whenever i work my back a lot of the work gets put on my lats. i grow wide very quickly but can't seem to thicken up the middle neck portion of my body. I could really use some help, thanks guys.
Snatch grip dead lifts , Snatch grip hanging pulls...Snatches , Jerks , Hanging Clean Pulls , Clean Pulls...If you want a bit more upper back work , throw in YTWs and/or Face Pulls...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Snatch grip dead lifts , Snatch grip hanging pulls...Snatches , Jerks , Hanging Clean Pulls , Clean Pulls...If you want a bit more upper back work , throw in YTWs and/or Face Pulls...
^that + food=big back

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jasonk20
well depends.. a 2-3 rep max 315. i haven't really maxed out yet to see how much i can i crank in a 1 rep max yet.

this will be my back workout for the next 4-6 weeks though.. setsxreps just incase you're wondering what the numbers are about.

DEADLIFT 6x5-6, ELEVATED DEADLIFTS 4X2-3, BB ROWS 5X5-8, DB ROWS 5X6-8, CLOSE GRIP CABLE ROWS 5X6-8, PULL UPS TO FAILURE​
Number one, you need to get stronger. Show me a dude that pulls 2.5-3x his BW and you'll see a guy with big traps. Second, that is a terrible, terrible potential plan. Doing both rack pulls and full-pulls in the same session consistently will result in diminished performance. IMO, deadlifts are not something that is a high-volume lift and should be done for sets of 1-5 working up to a given weight for each week. For assistance work, do high rep DB row work (15-20 reps), pullups, and weighted back extensions.

Highly agree with the second part regarding upper-back work; the first part outside of snatch-grip deads, not so much. One of the biggest problems is that people tend to look for fixes solely with exercises and often implement too much into their programming. Having a rotation of deads, snatch-grip, and rack pulls as the ME wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
i think cel ment to pick one. not do all of them lol

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Number one, you need to get stronger. Show me a dude that pulls 2.5-3x his BW and you'll see a guy with big traps.
well ****. that sucks. im at 2.5 and my traps are weee tiny. :(

but seriously. when my deadlift makes big gains the size of my traps go up. and my shoulders feel better when benching pressing too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well ****. that sucks. im at 2.5 and my traps are weee tiny. :(

but seriously. when my deadlift makes big gains the size of my traps go up. and my shoulders feel better when benching pressing too.
More stable base from extra density and strength in the traps.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Number one, you need to get stronger. Show me a dude that pulls 2.5-3x his BW and you'll see a guy with big traps. Second, that is a terrible, terrible potential plan. Doing both rack pulls and full-pulls in the same session consistently will result in diminished performance. IMO, deadlifts are not something that is a high-volume lift and should be done for sets of 1-5 working up to a given weight for each week. For assistance work, do high rep DB row work (15-20 reps), pullups, and weighted back extensions.
I does 315 at 145-148~ :smoker: Getting closer!

Highly agree with the second part regarding upper-back work; the first part outside of snatch-grip deads, not so much. One of the biggest problems is that people tend to look for fixes solely with exercises and often implement too much into their programming. Having a rotation of deads, snatch-grip, and rack pulls as the ME wouldn't be a bad idea, though.
Yeah haha I did mean one or the other for ME lifts, you know...periodizing them :D!

jasonk202

Awards
Number one, you need to get stronger. Show me a dude that pulls 2.5-3x his BW and you'll see a guy with big traps.

Thanks for the input, i've been on some bs workout routines bc of my workout partner. Great reality check for me on how little i've been lifting on the deadlifts. i'll definitely be going back to going hard on the deads. Btw i had a feeling it would be a bit of an overkill doing 2 dead movements in one session but i just really wanted to break a plateau that might be in the way of my traps and middle back from growing but as i read a lot of everyones post im starting to realize i just been going too soft on my deadlifts.

jasonk202

Awards
Thanks for the different workouts you suggested. As i've told Rodja about my plans i'll be going back to basics. I been doing a lot of useless bs workouts. Im thinking about doing the YTW's or Face pulls in the beginning of my workout to get the blood pumping/rushing in that area so when i hit the deadlifts it will really put a lot of tension in the middle back/traps.

The Storm16

Awards
Thanks for the different workouts you suggested. As i've told Rodja about my plans i'll be going back to basics. I been doing a lot of useless bs workouts. Im thinking about doing the YTW's or Face pulls in the beginning of my workout to get the blood pumping/rushing in that area so when i hit the deadlifts it will really put a lot of tension in the middle back/traps.
All great suggestions so far. I personally found that my traps showed up when I started doing heavy cleans and trap bar work. They appeared out of no where and never went away haha

RicFlair

Awards
Progressive overload with the deadlifting and lots of food.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My upper/mid back blew up when I started incorporating a ton of scapular retraction work into my program. I would literally do these 3-4x a week at the end of my work out. Do them on the seated cable row, hammer strength row, basically anywhere i could. lol

Doing chest supported tbar rows with elbows up/flared really hits the rhomboids/mid back. Kinda like this.
[video=youtube;b5T20v62uHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=b5T20v62uHw&list=PLA808445 EA052D63A[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh yeah, those are fun frank.

I'd also suggest some modified chest supported two arm db rows. Modified in, first you perform a horizontal shrug (retract your scapula hard without bending the elbows) hold it for a second, then row up.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Prehab goes at the end of the workout...do the YTWs and/or face pulls (prefer one or the other..) in the end...load doesn't have to be high, just worry about full ROM and about proper contraction of the scapulae

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Prehab goes at the end of the workout...do the YTWs and/or face pulls (prefer one or the other..) in the end...load doesn't have to be high, just worry about full ROM and about proper contraction of the scapulae
Can be either. Your activation work I suggest doing at the start. This would be the YTW's, wall slides, prone snow angels, etc.

Strength work I would put toward the end, or between assistance movements, such as face pulls, scapula dips, etc.

Br

jasonk202

Awards
A lot of great information in regards to my question. Today i worked back and took literally everything i read on this thread into work at the gym today and im getting a sore on my back that i use to get only on the days i got "lucky" lol. I'll put up a before/after picture in about 4 weeks, even though by then this thread will be long gone lol. but i still want to put it up for those who type in a similar problem into the search bar in the future and they will definitely get a lot of help.

Thanks again guys, if anyone else has anymore knowledge on what they've had success with in building this portion of the back please share your thoughts.