Range of motion & progressive overload

Creatine

Awards
I'm sure it exists, but has anybody done it? or does it have an actual name?

I'll use deadlifting for an example. You'd start off with rack pulls and lower the pegs that you pull from each workout until you are doing a full ROM deadlift from the floor. You'd be keeping the weight the same or even better, increasing it if possible.

Hopefully it makes sense. Does such a thing have an official name? Would it be stupid to try this?

Sorry for the noob question. just curious

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure if it has a name, but it definitely exists. It's been done pretty frequently with deadlifts and bench pressing (with board presses). It can be done with squats, too, for example starting on a high box and lowering the box each time, but while this is definitely by powerlifters during various speed work cycles, I've never actually heard of it done for max effort lifts during a pre-meet cycle. Usually they wave the volume and intensity for the squat. The same can be said for the bench, but what you suggested has been done before for sure.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To add to this discussion from another angle, an old school technique to add strength was rest-pause, which was successful for many people. I guess it wasn't dramatically successful in its original form for everyone, though, otherwise people would still do it that way. This is not the rest-pause you hear about from DC, but a different kind. Here, you'd start off with like a 3RM weight, do a rep, and rack it. You'd rest 15-60 seconds, then unrack and perform another rep. You'd do this for a total set of 10 and that would be your main lift session. The next session, what you would do is try to minimize the time to 45 seconds between sets. Then your goal would be 30 second, then 15 second rests, until finally you could just do 10 reps with your original 3RM weight. It's a similar principle.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The method described is just one of the many permutations of progressive overload.