Need some training advice please.

jmcd088

Awards
I'm going to try and make this short and sweet. I'm finishing up my cut, did keto for 4 weeks followed by CKD for another 8-10. Once moving to CKD my strength gains skyrocketed and I have yet to plateau. Did 6 weeks in the gym, took a week off and started a new routine the last 4 weeks. I have decided its time to switch up my routine and bulk, but I don't really want to take a break from the gym as I haven't been plateauing on my major lifts.

My question is do you think I would over train/not have full growth potential if I don't take a week off before switching my routine? I mean I'm sure I'll grow because of the of the following reasons; reintroducing carbs back into my diet, getting myself into a surplus, the added volume and the fact that I'll now be hitting muscle groups 2x a week. I am supposed to be hitting legs today which I obviously won't do if I would decide to start this new routine Monday instead of waiting a week.

Old Routine (slashes are supersets)

Push

DB Incline Bench Press 5x5
DB Seated Shoulder Press 5x5
DB Incline Flys/Side Laterals 3x8-12

Pull

Deadlifts 5x5
Assisted Chins 5x3-5 Max Effort (trying to get to unassisted)
Low Cable Row - 4x8-12

Legs

Squats - 4x6-10
Lying Leg Curl/Leg Extension 3x8-12
Standing Calf Raises - 3x8-10

New Routine

Monday - Lower Body Power

Squat - 4x5
Deadlift - 4x5
Seated Calf Raise - 4x5

Tuesday - Upper Body Power

DB Bench Press - 4x5
T-Bar Row - 4x5
DB Shoulder Press 4x5

Thursday - Lower Body Hypertrophy

Leg Press - 3x10
Hack Squat - 3x10
Seated Leg Curl - 3x10
Lying Leg Curl - 3x10
Standing Calf Raise - 3x10
Seated Calf Raise - 3x10

Friday - Upper Body Hypertrophy

DB Incline Bench - 3x10
Machine Flys - 3x10
Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs - 3x10
Low Cable Rows - 3x10
Side Laterals - 3x10
Rear Laterals - 3x10
Tricep/Curl variant superset - 3x10
Shrugs - 3x10 (on last set 1 farmers walk to grip failure)

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
just a heads up, theres a reason phat divides upper body hypertrophy into 2 days. thats not enough volume for each muscle. if you cant do 5 days a week, look into a 5/3/1 routine. its very simple and awsomely effective. and you can customize it to your liking

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think what you have looks ok, with some minor changes.

First, rotate your power/hypertrophy days. So:

UP Power
LB Hypertrophy
UP Hypertrophy
LB power

Second, add some hip extension hamstring movements in there (RDL, good morning, etc.)
No need for seated calf raises..ever. I think your LB power would be better served as:
Power clean, squat, good morning.

Finally, you need pull ups on your UP power day. Pull ups are like the squat of the upper body.

Br

jmcd088

Awards
I think what you have looks ok, with some minor changes.

First, rotate your power/hypertrophy days. So:

UP Power
LB Hypertrophy
UP Hypertrophy
LB power

Second, add some hip extension hamstring movements in there (RDL, good morning, etc.)
No need for seated calf raises..ever. I think your LB power would be better served as:
Power clean, squat, good morning.

Finally, you need pull ups on your UP power day. Pull ups are like the squat of the upper body.

Br
First off I do have pullups on my power day, that's what the assisted chins are. I can't do them body weight yet. 5 sets with the least amount of weighted assistance as possible for 3-5 reps max effort is the goal. At least until I can work my way up to not needing the assist machine.

Also I was thinking of taking out one of the leg curls and doing romanian deadlifts myself. As far as rotating the days go I was sure if that was such a good idea. Wouldn't it be smarter to have the heavy days first while I have more strength after two full days of rest? When I do the hypertrophy days at the end of the week my strength wont matter as much.

What do you and anyone else think about what the poster above you mentioned? Do you think that my upper body hypertrophy day has enough volume per muscle group or is that another concern?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First off I do have pullups on my power day, that's what the assisted chins are. I can't do them body weight yet. 5 sets with the least amount of weighted assistance as possible for 3-5 reps max effort is the goal. At least until I can work my way up to not needing the assist machine.

Also I was thinking of taking out one of the leg curls and doing romanian deadlifts myself. As far as rotating the days go I was sure if that was such a good idea. Wouldn't it be smarter to have the heavy days first while I have more strength after two full days of rest? When I do the hypertrophy days at the end of the week my strength wont matter as much.

What do you and anyone else think about what the poster above you mentioned? Do you think that my upper body hypertrophy day has enough volume per muscle group or is that another concern?
No you don't. The assisted chins are in your old program, there are none in the new program.

jmcd088

Awards
No you don't. The assisted chins are in your old program, there are none in the new program.
Oh yea you're right, sorry about that. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I wasn't trying to come off smart about it. So I could replace the t-bar row with them, it probably would be better. My main concern is the upper hypertrophy day. I really don't think I can do 5 days in the gym right now. I want to try to keep it at 4 but I don't know if its enough volume per group.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Well, two max effort days in a row is a lot on the CNS. Generally, its suggested to rotate between neural (heavy) and metabolic (hypertrophy) workout to allow for more complete CNS recovery.

I looked at your new program, and did not see any assisted chins.

You have plenty over volume to stimulate growth in the upper body. Remember, 48% of your muscle mass is below the belt.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, I just lost my reply.

I suggest rotating between neural and metabolic work. This gives your CNS more time to recover (neural being heavy days, metabolic being hypertrophy days).

I'd suggest including both pull ups and rows in your heavy upper body day.

There is plenty of volume to stimulate upper body growth. Remember, 48% of your muscle mass is below the belt. The upper body just gets more attention in most bodybuilding routines because it is what is seen most.

Br

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
The best thing I ever did was go simple. Jump on 5/3/1 and roll with it