Rest pause

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
I realized today that since I started training, I've been using rest pause on 99% of my sets without meaning to. Could this be the reason for stalled gains?

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
It depends on what iteration of "rest / pause" you're using I suppose. I've seen R/P's that were 10 to 15 second "rests" and I've seen some claim an R/P with a one minute rest.

Speaking for me - my biggest gains come from HEAVY deadlifts ... 5 reps for 5 sets. There is no ****ing way I could do 5 sets lifting as heavy as I do with only a 10 to 15 second break between sets. I need about 2-3 minutes just to recover my breath from a set. So my vote is "Yes" - if you'r using too short of a rest period between sets then it's affecting (negatively) your ability to lift as heavy as you are capable of lifting.

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
My rest pause is for example on bench doing hmm say 3 reps then locking out for 5-10 seconds doing another rep then locking out again and so on. And I do this on nearly every set without meaning to and I always have

diezel

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't call this a rest pause set. However, if you think this has stalled your gains I'd discontinue this type of training for a few weeks and compare your results.

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
I wouldn't call this a rest pause set. However, if you think this has stalled your gains I'd discontinue this type of training for a few weeks and compare your results.
Will do.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Actually what you mentioned is in fact a rest pause and if your lifting heavy and taking short pauses hypertrophy should follow. I don't think this is what's resulting in your plateau. Also people seemed to have confused sets and reps.

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Actually what you mentioned is in fact a rest pause and if your lifting heavy and taking short pauses hypertrophy should follow. I don't think this is what's resulting in your plateau. Also people seemed to have confused sets and reps.
Well basically my question is... Could massive overuse of rest pause technique be the reason for my burned out, lack of motivation to life feeling?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lack of gainz often leads to lack of motivation. Also, you could be under-recovering. I know wrasslin season is coming up and all the kids are going anorexic. Are you eating enough to recover and repair from your repeated uses of intensity techniques?

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Lack of gainz often leads to lack of motivation. Also, you could be under-recovering. I know wrasslin season is coming up and all the kids are going anorexic. Are you eating enough to recover and repair from your repeated uses of intensity techniques?
Not really

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There you have it.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Well basically my question is... Could massive overuse of rest pause technique be the reason for my burned out, lack of motivation to life feeling?
In what lifts do you utilize rest pauses? Do you do it in almost every set? Are you pushing yourself to almost failure? Imo lack of motivation in my case in the gym comes from when I believe that my effort put in outweighs the results I'm getting. We all hit a wall once in a while and question our methods. However the most important is make sure you're lifting heavy with good form, eating properly and most importantly enjoying what you're doing! Consistency is key, try and find a gym partner with more experience to train with. It will help you stay motivated and you'll learn tons! Good luck

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
In what lifts do you utilize rest pauses? Do you do it in almost every set? Are you pushing yourself to almost failure? Imo lack of motivation in my case in the gym comes from when I believe that my effort put in outweighs the results I'm getting. We all hit a wall once in a while and question our methods. However the most important is make sure you're lifting heavy with good form, eating properly and most importantly enjoying what you're doing! Consistency is key, try and find a gym partner with more experience to train with. It will help you stay motivated and you'll learn tons! Good luck
Yes nearly every set