Forearm pains from Bicep Curls???

  1. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Forearm pains from Bicep Curls???


    Okay so I just finished a cycle of Epistane last week...and noticed that the last few times I've done preacher curls specifically, but mainly any bicep work that there is a sharp pain in my arm between my wrist and elbow on the underside portion. And now today my muscles are EXTREMELY sore in that area after doing biceps yesterday.

    Does anybody know what this is or what is causing such a thing?

  2. New Member
    weightsiwield's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  81k lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    569
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    98.11%

    I used to get this pain. How often u train biceps? I found it was from overload of weight and your grip
  3. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by weightsiwield
    I used to get this pain. How often u train biceps? I found it was from overload of weight and your grip
    I do 3 day splits. So chest/tris/shoulders, then back/biceps, last is leg day and then rest on the 4th day. But, I just changed that this week to 4 days, making shoulders on its own separate day. So biceps will get trained every 5 days
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    weightsiwield's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  81k lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    569
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    98.11%

    Yea its like the shin splints ofyour forearm. Try dropping the weight a little and let your wrists drop so your strictly curling with bideps
  5. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167051
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    was getting this along with pain in my elbows. stopped doing preachers and it totally went away. Now with barbell curls I just do them standing, no pain
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  6. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by weightsiwield
    Yea its like the shin splints ofyour forearm. Try dropping the weight a little and let your wrists drop so your strictly curling with bideps
    Yep, that's exactly what it feels like. I'll try keeping my wrists straight and see what happens
  7. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny
    was getting this along with pain in my elbows. stopped doing preachers and it totally went away. Now with barbell curls I just do them standing, no pain
    I used to do them standing, but wanted to implement preachers into my routine to make sure I wasnt letting any of my body sway or rock my elbows...i wanted all the work to be done by my biceps

    Might have to go back to standing, or only doing preachers a couple times a month or something...
  8. New Member
    blaykeryan's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    349
    Rep Power
    47106
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    19.28%

    Ive had that same pain for months man...my guess is that while u were on cycle u were obviously curling more, so now I'm guessing u r still trying to curl that same weight as on cycle..prolly just to much for ur tendons...either lower the weight 5 pds and see if it helps, if not lower it another 5 pds till it doesnt hurt, or buy some wrist bands they do wonders for me...hope that helped man
  9. Senior Member
    LizKing531's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,006
    Rep Power
    1080052
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    48.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Sounds like these guys got you covered...

    Same thing for me, found rest was the best, also if I find it start to act up, hammer curls seem to be a-ok as well
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  10. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan
    Ive had that same pain for months man...my guess is that while u were on cycle u were obviously curling more, so now I'm guessing u r still trying to curl that same weight as on cycle..prolly just to much for ur tendons...either lower the weight 5 pds and see if it helps, if not lower it another 5 pds till it doesnt hurt, or buy some wrist bands they do wonders for me...hope that helped man
    Lol yes this is true ha, I'm trying to lift all the same amount of weight on my lifts because I don't want to lose size. I'll try lowering the weight and adding more reps I guess. Thx Blayke
  11. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by LizKing531
    Sounds like these guys got you covered...

    Same thing for me, found rest was the best, also if I find it start to act up, hammer curls seem to be a-ok as well
    Yeah I use a hammer bar at the gym as well, and get almost no pain whatsoever...but I'm also standing usually when I use that
  12. Senior Member
    LizKing531's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,006
    Rep Power
    1080052
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    48.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Red9

    Yeah I use a hammer bar at the gym as well, and get almost no pain whatsoever...but I'm also standing usually when I use that
    using dumbbells seated on an incline bench has helped me isolate a bit more than standing.

    If I even look at straight bar curls Ill start to ache...
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  13. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by LizKing531

    using dumbbells seated on an incline bench has helped me isolate a bit more than standing.

    If I even look at straight bar curls Ill start to ache...
    Haha must be a mind-to-body connection there, the pain is instantaneous when even thinking about it ha
  14. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,235
    Rep Power
    106253
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    have you tried doing grip work? like using a thick bar for some lifts?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  15. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig
    have you tried doing grip work? like using a thick bar for some lifts?
    I have not, no. I'm starting barbell shrugs today though ?
  16. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,235
    Rep Power
    106253
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
    I have not, no. I'm starting barbell shrugs today though ?
    though??? what?

    you can swap out any lift with a thick bar. whether it be DBs or BBs. if you have them available or have fat gripz.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  17. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig

    though??? what?

    you can swap out any lift with a thick bar. whether it be DBs or BBs. if you have them available or have fat gripz.
    I just meant that no I don't, but I am going to start using a barbell for shrugs to help with grip.

    I'll try those things
  18. Professional Member
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,464
    Rep Power
    1188235
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    88.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Red9

    I just meant that no I don't, but I am going to start using a barbell for shrugs to help with grip.

    I'll try those things
    Better yet towel pull ups. Look it up and be amazed. Or my personal favorite grip trainer is reverse grip chin up. You can feel it in your forearm right away. Also deadlifts are one of the best aswell. Barbel shrugs didn't do it for me. Better to do that on a farmers walk thing they have at the gym. Load plates and walk. Works grip pretty well. I also do shrugs on it instead cause it feels better than dbs
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  19. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,700
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    How often should you work on grip strength? Is there a particular day when its best like on biceps day?
  20. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167051
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985
    How often should you work on grip strength? Is there a particular day when its best like on biceps day?
    I like to do grip work every other Saturday which is otherwise an off day. Its really helped me a lot.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  21. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    @Pyrobatt- thank you, I'll try the towel and reverse grip pullups.

    @JD- I honestly really never work on grip strength at ALL, never knew it was important really. Definitely going to start tho! Best day is probably shoulder day for me
  22. Advanced Member
    Red9's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    49138
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny

    I like to do grip work every other Saturday which is otherwise an off day. Its really helped me a lot.
    So on rest day you work on grip? What things do u do for grip personally?
  23. Elite Member
    TheSwanks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,903
    Rep Power
    7167051
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    42.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Red9

    So on rest day you work on grip? What things do u do for grip personally?
    Farmers walks and plate pinches mostly
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  24. Senior Member
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    113184
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    19.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by weightsiwield View Post
    Yea its like the shin splints ofyour forearm. Try dropping the weight a little and let your wrists drop so your strictly curling with bideps
    I agree. I even curl with my wrists almost bending backwards the other way to try and take all emphasis off of the forearms.
    Remember why you started.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Forearm pain during preacher curls
    By ClintCanada in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 02:13 AM
  2. preacher curls and wrist/forearm pain?
    By gaijininjapan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 04:04 PM
  3. Pain in forearms while doing bb curls.
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
  5. Bicep Curls.
    By Flavor in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in