Forearm pains from Bicep Curls???

Red9

Red9

Awards
Okay so I just finished a cycle of Epistane last week...and noticed that the last few times I've done preacher curls specifically, but mainly any bicep work that there is a sharp pain in my arm between my wrist and elbow on the underside portion. And now today my muscles are EXTREMELY sore in that area after doing biceps yesterday.

Does anybody know what this is or what is causing such a thing?

weightsiwield

Awards
I used to get this pain. How often u train biceps? I found it was from overload of weight and your grip

Red9

Red9

Awards
I used to get this pain. How often u train biceps? I found it was from overload of weight and your grip
I do 3 day splits. So chest/tris/shoulders, then back/biceps, last is leg day and then rest on the 4th day. But, I just changed that this week to 4 days, making shoulders on its own separate day. So biceps will get trained every 5 days

weightsiwield

Awards
Yea its like the shin splints ofyour forearm. Try dropping the weight a little and let your wrists drop so your strictly curling with bideps

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
was getting this along with pain in my elbows. stopped doing preachers and it totally went away. Now with barbell curls I just do them standing, no pain

Red9

Red9

Awards
Yea its like the shin splints ofyour forearm. Try dropping the weight a little and let your wrists drop so your strictly curling with bideps
Yep, that's exactly what it feels like. I'll try keeping my wrists straight and see what happens

Red9

Red9

Awards
was getting this along with pain in my elbows. stopped doing preachers and it totally went away. Now with barbell curls I just do them standing, no pain
I used to do them standing, but wanted to implement preachers into my routine to make sure I wasnt letting any of my body sway or rock my elbows...i wanted all the work to be done by my biceps

Might have to go back to standing, or only doing preachers a couple times a month or something...

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Ive had that same pain for months man...my guess is that while u were on cycle u were obviously curling more, so now I'm guessing u r still trying to curl that same weight as on cycle..prolly just to much for ur tendons...either lower the weight 5 pds and see if it helps, if not lower it another 5 pds till it doesnt hurt, or buy some wrist bands they do wonders for me...hope that helped man

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Sounds like these guys got you covered...

Same thing for me, found rest was the best, also if I find it start to act up, hammer curls seem to be a-ok as well

Red9

Red9

Awards
Ive had that same pain for months man...my guess is that while u were on cycle u were obviously curling more, so now I'm guessing u r still trying to curl that same weight as on cycle..prolly just to much for ur tendons...either lower the weight 5 pds and see if it helps, if not lower it another 5 pds till it doesnt hurt, or buy some wrist bands they do wonders for me...hope that helped man
Lol yes this is true ha, I'm trying to lift all the same amount of weight on my lifts because I don't want to lose size. I'll try lowering the weight and adding more reps I guess. Thx Blayke

Red9

Red9

Awards
Sounds like these guys got you covered...

Same thing for me, found rest was the best, also if I find it start to act up, hammer curls seem to be a-ok as well
Yeah I use a hammer bar at the gym as well, and get almost no pain whatsoever...but I'm also standing usually when I use that

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Yeah I use a hammer bar at the gym as well, and get almost no pain whatsoever...but I'm also standing usually when I use that
using dumbbells seated on an incline bench has helped me isolate a bit more than standing.

If I even look at straight bar curls Ill start to ache...

Red9

Red9

Awards
using dumbbells seated on an incline bench has helped me isolate a bit more than standing.

If I even look at straight bar curls Ill start to ache...
Haha must be a mind-to-body connection there, the pain is instantaneous when even thinking about it ha

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
have you tried doing grip work? like using a thick bar for some lifts?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I have not, no. I'm starting barbell shrugs today though ?
though??? what?

you can swap out any lift with a thick bar. whether it be DBs or BBs. if you have them available or have fat gripz.

Red9

Red9

Awards
though??? what?

you can swap out any lift with a thick bar. whether it be DBs or BBs. if you have them available or have fat gripz.
I just meant that no I don't, but I am going to start using a barbell for shrugs to help with grip.

I'll try those things

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just meant that no I don't, but I am going to start using a barbell for shrugs to help with grip.

I'll try those things
Better yet towel pull ups. Look it up and be amazed. Or my personal favorite grip trainer is reverse grip chin up. You can feel it in your forearm right away. Also deadlifts are one of the best aswell. Barbel shrugs didn't do it for me. Better to do that on a farmers walk thing they have at the gym. Load plates and walk. Works grip pretty well. I also do shrugs on it instead cause it feels better than dbs

JD261985

Banned
Awards
How often should you work on grip strength? Is there a particular day when its best like on biceps day?

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How often should you work on grip strength? Is there a particular day when its best like on biceps day?
I like to do grip work every other Saturday which is otherwise an off day. Its really helped me a lot.

Red9

Red9

Awards
@Pyrobatt- thank you, I'll try the towel and reverse grip pullups.

@JD- I honestly really never work on grip strength at ALL, never knew it was important really. Definitely going to start tho! Best day is probably shoulder day for me

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So on rest day you work on grip? What things do u do for grip personally?
Farmers walks and plate pinches mostly

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I even curl with my wrists almost bending backwards the other way to try and take all emphasis off of the forearms.