Why is it so hard for me to gain muscle?

Kidcudi

Awards
Im 16, almost 17 and ive been in the gym for 3 1/2 Years. I have always been extrememly commited. I was using a 4 day split, bulking, counting all my macros, making sure i eat the right foods since i was 14. When I first started out in the gym my 1rm was like 95 weighing about 146. And after all this training, my max is now 215. I weigh 175. I have 21 % bodyfat at 5'8". Why Are my results so horribly poor? Its really hurting me. I try s hard and have no sucess! What could I be doing wrong???

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
we need a lot more information to start.

what is your exact routine?

how long have you been doing it?

what percentages of maxes for each lift are you using?

what is your progression plan?

what does your daily food intake look like, for example exactly what did you eat yesterday and how much?

lets start with that.

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
Man are you serious 29 pounds in 3 years is good! But then again you're at 21% body fat so
I would definitely cut hardcore. 21% is way too big. As for your muscles if you want more try switching up your routine. With different rep speeds, sets and just different amount of reps.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
im guessin the reason is because youre a kid and dont know what youre doing no matter how much you try to tell us you do. dont take offense to this, its just the truth. if you did, your calorie counting method would not result in 21% bf.

on the plus side, every single person wishes they started as young as you. and btw, i no way believe thats really your max because every high school kid exagerates it. but if it is, its a lot higher than every other 17 year old

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Hey bud, I am another teen lifter. You can check out my logs if you want. I think that your diet is off. You need to eat a surplus to bulk, but there is to much of a good thing so by going over maintence by to much can lead to a higher bf! I recondmend researching intently every little aspect of diet to make sure you know instead of thinking you know. Also i strongly advise you to get into a proven program such ad 5x5 or wendler 5/3/1. If you choose the latter, BUY THE BOOK AND READ IT MULTIPLE TIMES. I hope this help feel free to pm me about anything. Also gains are a combination of diet, routine, sleep and finally and least importantly especially at such a young age, supplements.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
At least your starting young which is good. We all go through a learning curve and its good to get it out the way early. I've been training on and off since I was 15 years old now I'm 29 and I've just in the last two months really learning to lift. The thing that has helped me the most is reading on this site everyday and trying to learn something new everyday. Like stated before get on a proven system like 5/3/1 bro it'll get you refocused and rededicated cause the gains will start coming again.

Good luck

PROness

Awards
Op should periodize if he wants strength.3 1/2 years is where you can't milk anything out of linear progression anymore.

If he doesn't then he's finally becoming a hard gainer. Welcome to the official bodybuilding club brother. You need to dial into everything; especially your diet if you want to make gains at this point.

The best piece of advice you'll ever hear OP: training is 90% nutrition, 10% actually training. Awesome.

PROness

Awards
Op should periodize if he wants strength.3 1/2 years is where you can't milk anything out of linear progression anymore.

If he doesn't then he's finally becoming a hard gainer. Welcome to the official bodybuilding club brother. You need to dial into everything; especially your diet if you want to make gains at this point.

The best piece of advice you'll ever hear OP: training is 90% nutrition, 10% actually training. Awesome.
Edit

If he doesn't train for strength then he's finally...

murk01

murk01

Awards
Ur young, u wont get a real test boost till a little later, keep lifting, but not to heavy. Keep ur cals high, protein about where it shohld b, cut carbs a bit, 21%bf is high, but not at all for ur age, u need to mantain a little bf to keep growing. , ....keep eating, eating , eating, slowly progress in reps and sets, increase volume, dont rush,
Start a goodcut maybe next year.
I would rather exert the cal in ur routine then cut them eating,

i agree with the other guy, more info needed,

artvandalay

artvandalay

Awards
When I was a teenager, I had to change up my training routines very frequently to get good results. Also, now I realize that if I go to absolute failure on every set, every workout, that my results are very noticeable. It sucks but it works for me. Partying in high school also hindered my gains. You have to make sure you get good rest, even on off days

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
you're 17 and it sounds like you've been making decent progress you're still a kid building a decent physique takes time and hard work, hell I wish I started training that young.