Deadlift form check

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Deadlift form check


    I wasn't sure whether to make another thread and post my sumo deadlift question thread or post the video of my form in it's own thread..I chose the latter, anyway here is the video of my form.
    This video is my deadlifting 135
    deadliftformcheck_135_001_zpsc 6ff1f47.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

    This is me deadlifting 135 at a different angle
    deadliftformcheck_135_002_zps6 e71e673.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

    and this is me deadlifting 295(my current rep weight)

    deadliftformcheck295_zpsddfd80 28.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

    Some notes. I had my toes pointed up during the exercise to put pressure on my heals. I'm flat footed and feel that if I have my toes up it creates sort of an arch in my feet and I can go lower easier. I did notice that I feel like I'm shifting a little bit forward on the way down, but no where near as much as I felt when I was deadlifting in shoes, yeah I was deadlifting bare foot in those videos.

  2. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36881
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    90.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD
    I wasn't sure whether to make another thread and post my sumo deadlift question thread or post the video of my form in it's own thread..I chose the latter, anyway here is the video of my form.
    This video is my deadlifting 135
    deadliftformcheck_135_001_zpsc 6ff1f47.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

    This is me deadlifting 135 at a different angle
    deadliftformcheck_135_002_zps6 e71e673.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

    and this is me deadlifting 295(my current rep weight)

    deadliftformcheck295_zpsddfd80 28.mp4 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket

    Some notes. I had my toes pointed up during the exercise to put pressure on my heals. I'm flat footed and feel that if I have my toes up it creates sort of an arch in my feet and I can go lower easier. I did notice that I feel like I'm shifting a little bit forward on the way down, but no where near as much as I felt when I was deadlifting in shoes, yeah I was deadlifting bare foot in those videos.
    Those videos don't really show much at all, a side view would be much better for analysis. Better yet, a view from each angle both sides front and back and also the whole lift should be in frame, we are getting less than half the story on these vids.
  3. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Those videos don't really show much at all, a side view would be much better for analysis. Better yet, a view from each angle both sides front and back and also the whole lift should be in frame, we are getting less than half the story on these vids.
    Here you go
    http://s37.beta.photobucket.com/user...8cefb.mp4.html
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.99%

    The biggest issue I see is your not getting your hips down under you and initially driving with the legs. Your pulling almost exclusively with your backside which places tremendous strain on the lumbar spine and lower back muscles.
    M.S. Exercise Physiology
    ACSM: Certified Clinical Exercise Specialist
  5. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    The biggest issue I see is your not getting your hips down under you and initially driving with the legs. Your pulling almost exclusively with your backside which places tremendous strain on the lumbar spine and lower back muscles.
    Any tips? Should I try to bring my glutes lower?
  6. Elite Member
    tyga tyga's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,149
    Rep Power
    2646996
    Level
    83
    Lv. Percent
    96.75%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD

    Any tips? Should I try to bring my glutes lower?
    Essentially the first 1/3 of the movement should be all legs. Drop your hips down, your almost stiff legging it.
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

    PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
  7. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    Essentially the first 1/3 of the movement should be all legs. Drop your hips down, your almost stiff legging it.
    Yeah I'm going to try again in a bit I feel like I ****ed up on that vid and the other vids I did better...nope same issue :/ what can I do to fix this?
  8. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.99%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Any tips? Should I try to bring my glutes lower?




    Means just bend your knees and drop your hips so your using more leg drive during the initial upward phase of the lift
    M.S. Exercise Physiology
    ACSM: Certified Clinical Exercise Specialist
  9. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    Means just bend your knees and drop your hips so your using more leg drive during the initial upward phase of the lift
    How am I doing on lowering the bar?
  10. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36881
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    90.14%

    Just like everyone else has said your hips need to start lower. Focus on extending both knees and hips at the same rate. The way you have done the lift your extending your knees first and that is putting you into a straight leg deadlift.

    Name:  image-177874169.png
Views: 182
Size:  205.5 KB
  11. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro
  12. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.99%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post

    That looked better. You could drop down further yet, but it's a work in progress. Your starting position should be similar to the lowest point of a front squat. Legs should be near parallel, chest up, torso upright. It is essential that the initial torque created to get the bar moving upward is distributed among the knee and hip joint. If you completely extend your knees before the weight leaves the ground, then all that torque is placed on your lower back, and your destined for injury.
    M.S. Exercise Physiology
    ACSM: Certified Clinical Exercise Specialist
  13. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    That looked better. You could drop down further yet, but it's a work in progress. Your starting position should be similar to the lowest point of a front squat. Legs should be near parallel, chest up, torso upright. It is essential that the initial torque created to get the bar moving upward is distributed among the knee and hip joint. If you completely extend your knees before the weight leaves the ground, then all that torque is placed on your lower back, and your destined for injury.
    And this? http://s37.beta.photobucket.com/user...3be44.mp4.html
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,532
    Rep Power
    1213206
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    57.47%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    The eccentric on the deadlift should not happen. You should essentially do a controlled drop of the weight. TUT and deads are a bad idea.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  15. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The eccentric on the deadlift should not happen. You should essentially do a controlled drop of the weight. TUT and deads are a bad idea.
    TUT? Time Under Tension? So you're saying drop the weight fast. How was I lifting the weight up though? BTW I hit my knee on the way down. If the lifting part is right I can focus on the lowering.
  16. Senior Member
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    3106
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    30.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    low box squats helped both my deads and squats form, both work in progress still. Forced me to use my hips to drive. I make sure to push my hips in by straightening my knees and hips at the same time.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,532
    Rep Power
    1213206
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    57.47%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    TUT? Time Under Tension? So you're saying drop the weight fast. How was I lifting the weight up though? BTW I hit my knee on the way down. If the lifting part is right I can focus on the lowering.
    Your hips are still a bit high and you're using primarily erector strength as opposed to using the hips and thighs for the initial portion of the movement.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  18. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34859
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. ATG Squat Form Check (vid)
    By 808rebel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 03:23 AM
  2. Stone Load form Check please
    By polskishelby in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 01:57 AM
  3. Form check squat (video)
    By p00ndawg in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
  4. proper deadlift form
    By phasar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
  5. Smith Rack Deadlift form
    By dsl in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in