Check my squat?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I've noticed some breaks in my form pretty bad so I've started all over again persay. I was doing 265 and have nearly cut that in half to begin working on my form again. Wondering if you guys can give some pointers.

i work out alone so getting a video is somewhat difficult but I tried. There's two different angles.

[video]http://videobam.com/ZGEMA[/video]

[video]http://videobam.com/KJjZk[/video]

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
back seems to stay tight. i see lots of good. except for the depth. can you go deeper?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
back seems to stay tight. i see lots of good. except for the depth. can you go deeper?
That's really the biggest problem I have. I honestly feel as if I'm going to tumble backwards if I go deeper than parallel

uvawahoowa

Awards
I've noticed some breaks in my form pretty bad so I've started all over again persay. I was doing 265 and have nearly cut that in half to begin working on my form again. Wondering if you guys can give some pointers.

i work out alone so getting a video is somewhat difficult but I tried. There's two different angles.

Video Link: http://videobam.com/ZGEMA

Video Link: http://videobam.com/KJjZk
Those are terrific half squats

In all seriousness, work on your mobility and flexibility and get some more depth. Start at bodyweight if necessary and work your way up

uvawahoowa

Awards
That's really the biggest problem I have. I honestly feel as if I'm going to tumble backwards if I go deeper than parallel
You're not even going to parallel now...I would say once you're at least going down to parallel that would be great progress

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Those are terrific half squats

In all seriousness, work on your mobility and flexibility and get some more depth. Start at bodyweight if necessary and work your way up
Yea I was wondering today if flexibility may be an issue, ive always been about as flexble as a turtle

uvawahoowa

Awards
Yea I was wondering today if flexibility may be an issue, ive always been about as flexble as a turtle
MobilityWOD has great stuff on ways to improve squats through dynamic and static stretching, and there is a thread in training with a YouTube series on squat technique you might find helpful

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
MobilityWOD has great stuff on ways to improve squats through dynamic and static stretching, and there is a thread in training with a YouTube series on squat technique you might find helpful
Thanks for the tips have to check those out. I must be doing atg wrong cause if i can complete one it just doesn't feel fluid or comfortable to me at all so I guess I've got some work to do

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
get a box, go wide, and squat deep!!! and try to foam roll the hip flexors and groin before you squat.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
get a box, go wide, and squat deep!!! and try to foam roll the hip flexors and groin before you squat.
So essentially get a box about ankle high and do deep box squats? That's a good idea, never thought of that. Might help me break my balance issue

napalm

napalm

Awards
So essentially get a box about ankle high and do deep box squats? That's a good idea, never thought of that. Might help me break my balance issue
If you have mobility issues, you'll never get down that far. Start w a 14" box and work your way down to parallel at 1 inch increments. The box I use is 11", about an inch below parallel for me.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
If you have mobility issues, you'll never get down that far. Start w a 14" box and work your way down to parallel at 1 inch increments. The box I use is 11", about an inch below parallel for me.
Ahh I see, maybe I'm settin the bar a little high for starters lol

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you can get a low box, or build one. and get something like rubber flooring about an inch thick about the same size as the box and you can stack that to make it higher.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
youtube, "so you think you can squat" really helped me hit those higher #'s

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not flexibility that is preventing you; it's strength. Your hips are weak as indicated by your knees moving in slightly during each rep. You need to work on your posterior chain and make sure to push your knees out and keep constant pressure on the outside of your feet.What kind of shoes were you wearing?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
It's not flexibility that is preventing you; it's strength. Your hips are weak as indicated by your knees moving in slightly during each rep. You need to work on your posterior chain and make sure to push your knees out and keep constant pressure on the outside of your feet.What kind of shoes were you wearing?
I was actually doing it barefoot..not sure if this is a bad idea but I found the best balance this way. Would not pushing my knees out prevent me from going deeper? Also, is there such thing as pushing your knees too far out?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
youtube, "so you think you can squat" really helped me hit those higher #'s
I just recently stumbled across them and they've been a huge help. It's tough to really see exactly what I'm doing wrong as I lift alone but I wish I has him peeping over my shoulder making corrections.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To piggy back this there's a couple reasons your knees could be traveling in, all related to the hips.

First, adductors are tight and your hip abductors are weak. Start doing some frog mobs, quadruped rocking adductor mobs, etc. For the hip abductors monster walks and lateral monster walks with bands will add some strength.
A second reason could be due to anterior pelvic tilt. If your hip flexors are tight and your pelvis is tilted forward this will automatically rotate your femur inwards slightly. So, strengthen your glutes and increase hip flexor length and relaxation.

And get your self a good pair of training shoes. Olympic shoes or nike free trainers for squats, chucks or wrestling shoes for deads.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was actually doing it barefoot..not sure if this is a bad idea but I found the best balance this way. Would not pushing my knees out prevent me from going deeper? Also, is there such thing as pushing your knees too far out?
It's going to be hard to push them out too far from a biomechanical standpoint. The main purpose of them is to engage the hips and posterior chain further.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
To piggy back this there's a couple reasons your knees could be traveling in, all related to the hips.

First, adductors are tight and your hip abductors are weak. Start doing some frog mobs, quadruped rocking adductor mobs, etc. For the hip abductors monster walks and lateral monster walks with bands will add some strength.
A second reason could be due to anterior pelvic tilt. If your hip flexors are tight and your pelvis is tilted forward this will automatically rotate your femur inwards slightly. So, strengthen your glutes and increase hip flexor length and relaxation.

And get your self a good pair of training shoes. Olympic shoes or nike free trainers for squats, chucks or wrestling shoes for deads.
After spending some time online this morning and doing a little more research I found a few tests for the hip area I certainly have some weakness and overall tightness in my pelvic area. Even with simply BW squats it is difficult and a little uncomfortable to get much past parallel or down to the ground.

I saw some basic excercises to try and improve this and I'm going to stop procrastinating and finally buy a foam tube and do some rolls to help stretch the area before I squat.

Also, for the weak gluteus area should I incorporate good mornings into my routine?

Lastly, so hip flexation would be moving my legs foward? (Bringing knees to stomach/coming down into squat)
and hip abduction is moving my legs away from my side? (Pushing knees out wide during squat)
A little unsure of where hip adductors play a role...

Thanks for the time guys

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Joey, all that sounds good. Include saggital loading for the glutes too (hip pull throughs, hip bridge, etc.)

Hip adductors do the opposite of the abductors. They are your inner thigh muscles

Br

ps: I like the Lao Tzu quote. I've read the Tao a few times.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Zir,
After doing some more research on the hips I found a part in a book (strength training anatomy) stating that mostly the shape of the bones are responsible for hip mobility. Also, forcing hip abduction over a period of time can lead to micro trauma may occur.

I guess what I'm asking is, although I can help improve the strength my mobility is somewhat out of my hands?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is not totally true. I also have that book, but have not read it yet.

Joint arangement plays a role in mobility, but so does soft tissue. You cannot do anything about the prior, but you can work on the latter. Muscle balance, ligaments, and joint capsule restraints can all be manipulated to improve mobility. Further, you can ingrain good motor programs that improve the way you move.

Think of it like reaching your optimal level of mobility. Some have a greater potential than others, but we can all improve.

As for the hip abduction, the knees should track over the toes. You don't want them tracking inside or outside, so excessive can lead to an increased risk of injry.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
feet are to wide for the squat... or knees need to keep in line with the toes. where ever the toes are pointed the knees need to go the same direction.