What should I do about my muscle imbalance?

Cokeboyz

Awards
My right arm is bigger than my left. When I workout, I cant seem to get a workout with my left arm. I try to focus and use good form, but I almost never feel anything. No pump, little soreness. I just reach failiure. My right however actually feels like its getting a workout. It gets vasodilated and pumped up. I try and try to fix this but can never seem to have any sucess. Ive tried and tried to focus heavily on form and mind/muscle connection, but its just not clicking. Even if I lower the wieght on focus strictly on it. From reading this, what do you think I should do? Is this problem normal? Does it need to be fixed? Is my left arm still getting worked even though I cant connect to it as much? How much worse will my imbalance get, if at all? Will I eventually end up with one huge and one small side? help me out.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Why not do double arm exercises. Like tricep pushdowns. Straight bar curls etc etc. through this you'll be forced to use both arms a little more equally and you can build the mind muscle connection that way first and then focus on doing single arm movements

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Go to the doctor already! Posting thread after thread isn't going to get you any better answers then you already have received.

What you are describing sounds like it has to do with a nervous system issue. Your left side is most likely lacking innervation due to compression of a nerve, which one? Well that's what the doctor is for. The compression, if present, could be leading to decreased functional motor units and manifesting in the signs you continue to post.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Go to the doctor already! Posting thread after thread isn't going to get you any better answers then you already have received.

What you are describing sounds like it has to do with a nervous system issue. Your left side is most likely lacking innervation due to compression of a nerve, which one? Well that's what the doctor is for. The compression, if present, could be leading to decreased functional motor units and manifesting in the signs you continue to post.
I went to the doctor! a sports medicine doctor. All she said was "its normal, dont worry about it" I walked out. I think your right about the nervous system thing. Does that mean im now doomed to having one huge and one small side of my body? Is there a way I can prevent this from happening?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I went to the doctor! a sports medicine doctor. All she said was "its normal, dont worry about it" I walked out. I think your right about the nervous system thing. Does that mean im now doomed to having one huge and one small side of my body? Is there a way I can prevent this from happening?
Get another opinion, some doctors look over things that may not be pressing in their eyes. Your not doomed to anything. Also, how long have you been lifting? This could be a huge factor in whats going on.

Cokeboyz

Awards
3 years. I've always had this problem. It's gotten worse.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Get another opinion then, 3 years training would basically rule out any discrepancies in innervation due to hand dominance. Only thing is if your mechanics are off and have been from the beginning that could be playing a role but from what you described it seems you are using good form. My best guess would be compression or pressure somewhere between C5 and T1 and/or brachial plexus injury.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Well I think I'm using good form. I mean when I use the bar its straight and when I use dumbbells the movements on both sides look the same. Could I be making a huge mistake in my form still?

Cokeboyz

Awards
And as far as bicep/tricep isolation excersises go, I've made very little progress since I've always been trying to fix this. Just thought I'd throw that out there

PROness

Awards
Pray to the symmetry Gods and keep working out regularly and things will sort themselves out.

Btw it might be in your head considering no body part is perfectly symmetrical and also the fact that lighting and posing (specifically the M.M. Connection) have a lot to do with your overall look.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Pray to the symmetry Gods and keep working out regularly and things will sort themselves out.

Btw it might be in your head considering no body part is perfectly symmetrical and also the fact that lighting and posing (specifically the M.M. Connection) have a lot to do with your overall look.
Explain in more detail about how the mm connection has to do with your overall look. I'll rep you if you can

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Well I think I'm using good form. I mean when I use the bar its straight and when I use dumbbells the movements on both sides look the same. Could I be making a huge mistake in my form still?
Just get another opinion and mention an idea of C5-T1 compression or pressure and/or brachial plexus injury to him or her and its manifestation in your apparent muscle asymmetry.

PROness

Awards
Explain in more detail about how the mm connection has to do with your overall look. I'll rep you if you can
Basically mm connection is how well you can feel your muscle contract. The better it is the harder you can contract your muscles and the fuller and harder they will become. Professional bodybuilders spend hours posing trying to perfect this connection. If you have a better connection in one arm it's going to appear fuller and harder ... Contract both arms as hard as possible and notice which one you can feel more... I'm willing to bet its the bigger arm.

I've noticed when I have an asymmetry I usually work on posing the lagging part to improve its mmc and I have surprised even myself with the results.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Mind muscle connection has to do, as far as aesthetics are concerned, with one's ability to flex and extend muscle groups at will to provide a view that is most complimenting from different angles and in different light. With regards to training it is the activation potential and motor unit density present in each muscle group. This allows for increased fine motor control, proper mechanics, increased fiber recruitment and response to training stimuli. Really the term mind muscle connection is just layman's terms for increased nervous innervation, fiber recruitment and proprioceptive mechanisms.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Well both my muscles flex the same. Im almost positive the problem is my form. I think when I'm doing barbell excersises my stronger side is doing all the work and with dumbbells I'm using the wrong muscles on my weaker side. I still have trouble targeting and hitting my weak side. Any advice on how to fix this?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Well both my muscles flex the same. Im almost positive the problem is my form. I think when I'm doing barbell excersises my stronger side is doing all the work and with dumbbells I'm using the wrong muscles on my weaker side. I still have trouble targeting and hitting my weak side. Any advice on how to fix this?
Everything I referred to and advised you on will result in what your feeling. That's your advice on how to fix it. Get another opinion and go from there.

Unless your mechanics are grossly off I don't think any of what your saying is the case. If your still concerned about your form ask a trainer at your gym to take a look at some of your exercises and evaluate them. I really don't think that is the problem though based on what I'm understanding.

Cokeboyz

Awards
If you were right and I did have a bad nerve or something is it something a doctor can fix?

wtmdcg91

wtmdcg91

Awards
If you were right and I did have a bad nerve or something is it something a doctor can fix?
Google that injury and see if the symptoms are what you having besides that you can't get pump and stuff.... there is a specific symptoms to this injury so check it out.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Watch the video below, it may address the root of your problem. I have a few imbalances, and have been trying a nodding exercise to help align my atlas because I am too dumb to just go to the chiropractor and get it checked out.

youtube com/watch?v=7JDnQDTZCbc

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On top of going to the doctor, have you had a good postural and movement screen?

This is a quote from Gray Cook that I think sums things up well. I also use when teaching strength and conditioning

"“… athletes and individuals have access to a huge arsenal of equipment and workout programs; however, the best equipment and programs cannot produce if the fundamental weaknesses are not exposed.”

Right now, all this focus on the undersized arm is treating the symptom and not the problem. Assuming there is no neural impingement, you are just further compensating and making it even more difficult to correct things in the future. If we assess your entire kinetic chain, I'm sure we will find a series of strength/length deficiencies that result in poor movement patterns, which ultimately reflect in less gains and the asymmetry to you see.

FirstPlace

Awards
imbalance, how many of us have them

I have the same issue. I used to think about it all the time, but hanging around the gym long enough and talking to people led me to a conclusion. Everyone suffers with this problem. I wouldn't obsess over it. I used to think that I looked real funny with one arm bigger than the other and on trap taller and bigger than the other. So I talked to a personal trainer I know and he didn't even give me advise about what to do... he started talking about how some part of his body was bigger than the other. And you know what... I never noticed his imperfection or imbalance, and he never noticed mine. I thought it was a big deal but it didn't matter to anyone but me. I have notice one thing, the bigger I get, the less its noticeable.

Cokeboyz

Awards
I have the same issue. I used to think about it all the time, but hanging around the gym long enough and talking to people led me to a conclusion. Everyone suffers with this problem. I wouldn't obsess over it. I used to think that I looked real funny with one arm bigger than the other and on trap taller and bigger than the other. So I talked to a personal trainer I know and he didn't even give me advise about what to do... he started talking about how some part of his body was bigger than the other. And you know what... I never noticed his imperfection or imbalance, and he never noticed mine. I thought it was a big deal but it didn't matter to anyone but me. I have notice one thing, the bigger I get, the less its noticeable.
For me, the bigger I get the more noticeable it is because only one arm gets bigger while the other sometimes gets smaller. I'm starting to notice asymmetry in my chest now too. Its bot as bad as the arm but its getting worse, which is why I'm honestly to the point where I'm scared of getting bigger.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My posture is fine
Like Rodja said, highly unlikely.

Front, side, rear, arms over head from side and rear, etc. etc.
I can watch you move in different exercises and identify imbalances.

Cokeboyz

Awards
I just don't see how my posture could be so bad that its causing my one arm to lag so much that its getting smaller while my other arm is getting bigger. I feel like if my posture was that bad it would be obvious. I feel like there has to be something else

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just don't see how my posture could be so bad that its causing my one arm to lag so much that its getting smaller while my other arm is getting bigger. I feel like if my posture was that bad it would be obvious. I feel like there has to be something else

Here is a drop of enlightenment with regards to posture, imbalance/impingement/denervation, and compromised performance

http://graycookmovement.com/?p=119

FirstPlace

Awards
Everyone " most people" have bad posture and dont even notice, that is until someone tells them or they notice themselves and they consciously fix it. Sometimes its something little, sometimes its something real noticeable. I had to work on my posture too. I didnt stand up strait, I always had my neck leaned a little bit forward. Either way it can be from a number of different things. Back pressure or whatever. The point is theres always something to improve on. you just need to keep your mind open, pay attention to your body. make the little corrections you can. You'll figure it out. I would say try some different things. Instead of barbells use dumbells. that way you know your atleast the weight is split evenly. and then you will visably be able to see the difference in the way one arm lifts from the other. (have someone watch friend or foe) instead of just lifting your ass off try and figure out the way your body works. hope this helps

FirstPlace

Awards
you ever seen "lady in the water?" lmfao its probably not as bad as you think dude

jwal

Awards
I've always had this problem I broke my left arm real bad about five years ago and it just became useless after that due to being casted for so long and somewhat limited mobility due to the plates and screws so when I started lifting it was bad so I found my Max weight that I could with my left arm only on whatever movement dumbbell curl tri extensions etc and I only did the same amount of weight for the same amount of reps with my right strong arm and added at most one extra set to my weak arm luv mostly just and extra forced Rep or two, and when I do dumbbell curls I always do the ISO ones on the inside of the thigh or on the incline bench to eliminate the delt from doing the work try that man hope it helps o and I like slowly curl up until I feel the left bicep working Good luck