Stepping away from the Once-a-Week training routine???

smatters

smatters

Awards
Hey everybody,

Quick question for those more advanced than I. I read something that indicates that muscles usually need an average of 48 hours recovery time. It continues by stating that "Advanced," not beginner or intermediate trainers, should incorporate all muscle groups in one day. As for the second part, whatever. I couldn't get a really good full-body workout in one day without some crack in my diet. My question is this. I have been training pretty hard on a 5-day split. The progress is there, but I wish I could move things along a bit more aggressively. Is it safe to think that because an isolated muscle needs roughly 48 hours to recover and rebuild that I could work out the isolated muscle not just once a week but twice a week instead?

I'm obviously looking to hear what more advanced trainers have heard or tried themselves and if this makes sense. If the food intake is there and other supplements e.g. essential amino's, creatine, AKG, carbs is in line, would it make sense to go ahead and step away from the once a week routine?

Thank you in advance for answering this.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I'm not an advanced guy, but I can tell you I made better gains using DC and 5/3/1 programs than once a week routines both size and strength. Currently using 5/3/1. Many train groups twice a week with great success. You do not need as much volume as once a week, just compound movements with isolation to help improve the compound movements.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I sometimes do full body 3x a week for periods. Its good and I find i like it more than high volume 1x per week workouts.
Upper/lower split (=gym 4 x week) works well as well.

When i do full bodies I do somthing like
Deadlifts
squats/legpress
Chinups
Barbell Rows
Seatet over head barbell press>side laterals
Benchpress
Dips>overhead extensions
Bicep curls

I do 4-5 sets on each. Then on following days i'll swap incline bench press in instead of regular or upright rows in for shoulder press ETC. Give it a go and see what you think-it can't hurt. I find i can lift more weight for each exersise as there is not so much volume (per msucle) in one workout. However you = the same volume over the week. More weight X volume should equal gains theoreticly.

Sorry for bad spelling.

smatters

smatters

Awards
I'm not an advanced guy, but I can tell you I made better gains using DC and 5/3/1 programs than once a week routines both size and strength. Currently using 5/3/1. Many train groups twice a week with great success. You do not need as much volume as once a week, just compound movements with isolation to help improve the compound movements.
Thanks. Would you mind posting a sample of a 5/3/1 routine you follow? I've the slightest clue and, although I might easily find one searching online, I'd like to hear from you on what you have tried. Thanks for the reply.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you can train muscles everyday. as long as you balance all the variables which include, intensity, volume, and frequency. then take into account work capacity and recovery ability and it can seem daunting to design a program.

just keep in mind, adjust one and the others have to change. so if you want to hit a movement/bodypart 3 times a week you will have to lower volume and/or intensity to compensate.

as for making sense. it depends on your goals, training age, diet, and sleep habits.

does that make sense?

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing 5/3/1 on a four day split. On the deload week, I switch to full-body, lower weights, higher volume. This way I'm training intensely for three weeks and also incorporate high frequency every fourth week.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you're going heavy enough, you wouldn't wanna touch that muscle again for a few days... ;)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nearly all the programs I prescribe involve training the same muscle group 2-3 times a week in some fashion or another. Upper body lower body splits are priceless.

Reds91

Reds91

Awards
I'm not advanced by any means been training for 2 years. Right now I am training every muscle once a week and getting decent results. But an upper/lower has given me the best results by far. Will be switching back soon. I'd say give it a try.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
If u hit it hard, once a week is straight bro. Also ur shoulders, tri's and bi's for example get hit when doing any press/pull shyt...so they get worked a lot as is. But I think its cool to hit certain bodyparts more than once a week like calves for example, or sum weak lagging areas in ur body...

aceroni

Awards
I've been hitting my upper back twice a week and the results have been phenomenal, i'm getting THICK and everyone is noticing. Traps, Delts, neck, scapula, have ask grown from this. Highly recommend it