Can sumo deads be a replacement for deadlifts?

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Can sumo deads be a replacement for deadlifts?


    After reading about sumo deadlifts and them being easier for taller people, I am considering trying them. I wanted to know however would it be more beneficial to learn how to do a standard deadlift better, or could I just switch to sumos? When I do my standard deadlifts, my arms always hit my knees, causing them to go inward alittle. If I try to have a wider grip so this doesn't happen, it sort of feels like I'm putting my wrists in a bad position, because I have to grip real wide for this not to happen. I'm 6' and I have just under a 6' 4" wingspan. With ddeadlifts, I'm less worried about size and more worried about strength. My legs are huge as it is and they grow with little effort. As long as I get strong enough to where I can lift people up, I'll be happy lol.

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    If it's to get the strongest pull you can, then yes. However, the technique is MUCH more difficult.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  3. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I find that I like a wide stance when I squat and even when I deadlift it feels better to have my stance wider than a normal stance, never did a sumo dead lift stance, but I kind of do something inbetween. If I narrow my stance it doesn't feel right and it's harder to activate my glutes with a narrow stance.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I get alittle bit of lower back strain. It's not bad, but after about 2 reps it becomes a pain. As I stated as long as it can simulate me picking someone up and by making my lower body stronger, it'll make it so I can push my upper body more, I definitely may start doing sumos. Would I have to start with a lower weight on sumos though? Come to think of it when I pick things up off the ground I already use a sumo stance, I just never really noticed.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I get alittle bit of lower back strain. It's not bad, but after about 2 reps it becomes a pain. As I stated as long as it can simulate me picking someone up and by making my lower body stronger, it'll make it so I can push my upper body more, I definitely may start doing sumos. Would I have to start with a lower weight on sumos though? Come to think of it when I pick things up off the ground I already use a sumo stance, I just never really noticed.
    If you get strain that easily, then you need to correct the imbalances in your hips and core.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  6. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If you get strain that easily, then you need to correct the imbalances in your hips and core.
    Any suggestions?
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Can't make suggestions without pics of posture, training breakdown, footwear, etc.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  8. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Can't make suggestions without pics of posture, training breakdown, footwear, etc.
    Well I'm too broke to get a new camera right now, but I am flat footed and when I train I wear Asics Gel-Evolution 6. Do you know any general stretches that would help? Basically my problem is I can lift the weight up, but after the first rep I start to feel minor strain. The first rep feels perfect, but the reps that fellow feel alittle off. I do two set of 3-5 reps with a 2-3 minute rest between sets.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    You're wearing the wrong shoes. Get flat-soled shoes for lifting (e.g. Chuck's).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  10. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You're wearing the wrong shoes. Get flat-soled shoes for lifting (e.g. Chuck's).
    They hurt my feet, I workout at home so I could go barefoot, but I am afraid I over pronate, less than I did before but it feels easier to go lower with the shoes than without.
  11. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    This seems like it would work great for me. This looks sort of like a hybrid between the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTQe...ure=plpp_video
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    They hurt my feet, I workout at home so I could go barefoot, but I am afraid I over pronate, less than I did before but it feels easier to go lower with the shoes than without.
    Suck it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    This seems like it would work great for me. This looks sort of like a hybrid between the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTQe...ure=plpp_video
    Awful advice from that guy (as usual). You're not that tall and having long arms makes you ideal for sumo. Look at Dave Tate's instructionals and ignore everything from Hulse.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  13. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Suck it up.



    Awful advice from that guy (as usual). You're not that tall and having long arms makes you ideal for sumo. Look at Dave Tate's instructionals and ignore everything from Hulse.
    Wait so you're saying I should try sumos than? Also what about my knees hitting my arms? The reason I wear shoes when I lift is so I don't over pronate and put pressure on my knees and low back.
  14. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Dave talks about a medium stance deadlift in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr2_mCh2dUI
    However it's hard to see the technique because the video quality is ****.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Wait so you're saying I should try sumos than? Also what about my knees hitting my arms? The reason I wear shoes when I lift is so I don't over pronate and put pressure on my knees and low back.
    If your setup is correct, you won't hit your knees. Wear Chuck's not running shoes when you train lower body. They're what's causing you to shift the weight onto your toes and strain your lumbar.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  16. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If your setup is correct, you won't hit your knees. Wear Chuck's not running shoes when you train lower body. They're what's causing you to shift the weight onto your toes and strain your lumbar.
    In that case, I rather just train barefoot. I train at home on a carpeted floor. I wore hard sole shoes before for walking and everything and my knees started to hurt bad, I wasn't training at all at the time.
  17. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35039
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    68.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    In that case, I rather just train barefoot. I train at home on a carpeted floor. I wore hard sole shoes before for walking and everything and my knees started to hurt bad, I wasn't training at all at the time.

    Just wear the Chucks while training, not for walking/running/anything else. I use them, hate the way they feel when walking, but they are great for squats and deadlifts.
  18. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Just wear the Chucks while training, not for walking/running/anything else. I use them, hate the way they feel when walking, but they are great for squats and deadlifts.
    Another issue is I'm broke atleast for the rest the month.
  19. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,797
    Rep Power
    3651002
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    If it's to get the strongest pull you can, then yes. However, the technique is MUCH more difficult.
    Hell yeah...

    What's these bloody knees I keep hearing about?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  20. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,267
    Rep Power
    438357
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    93.61%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Hell yeah...

    What's these bloody knees I keep hearing about?
    my shins look like they've been through a meat grinder...
  21. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136026
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Any videos of you dead lifting?
  22. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Hell yeah...

    What's these bloody knees I keep hearing about?
    His setup is bad if his knees are getting scraped. At most, I could see shins from the bar or maybe taking out some of the quad with one of the hands, but not bloody knees.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  23. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Any videos of you dead lifting?
    No I'd need a friend to take a video of me and that might be awhile, sicne none of my friends live close.
  24. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136026
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Due to you not owning a camera/smart phone?
  25. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Due to you not owning a camera/smart phone?
    Well I do own a camera but its real real ****ty quality on video. I'm out of batteries and I have a damn blackberry phone.
  26. Advanced Member
    Est1969's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    695
    Rep Power
    6229
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    65.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    You're wearing the wrong shoes. Get flat-soled shoes for lifting (e.g. Chuck's).
    ^^^ this. I switched to flat-soled bare-boned canvas shoes (Puma). They feel great for deads. BTW I am 6 foot 4 plus and use a standard Deadlift stance.
  27. Professional Member
    thetinyguy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,184
    Rep Power
    14642
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    63.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I would say to just take the time to learn Sumo and get as much info as possible. Ironically how different we all are because i am 6' 4" and conventional deads are my favorite lift. Best Romanian Deadlift was 315 x 20, 365 x 8. Never have tried sumo myself but maybe i should look into it

    And i believe i read you don't want your legs growing? Sumo deads are a LOT more leg dominant for most people but you will probably be very strong on them too.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  28. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,797
    Rep Power
    3651002
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    His setup is bad if his knees are getting scraped. At most, I could see shins from the bar or maybe taking out some of the quad with one of the hands, but not bloody knees.
    Quote Originally Posted by napalm

    my shins look like they've been through a meat grinder...
    I can dig it.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  29. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy View Post
    I would say to just take the time to learn Sumo and get as much info as possible. Ironically how different we all are because i am 6' 4" and conventional deads are my favorite lift. Best Romanian Deadlift was 315 x 20, 365 x 8. Never have tried sumo myself but maybe i should look into it

    And i believe i read you don't want your legs growing? Sumo deads are a LOT more leg dominant for most people but you will probably be very strong on them too.
    Sumos are generally not for the taller population. The leverage is just not there since you can't go wide enough to really get the fully sumo technique. However, they are hip dominant and not so much thigh dominant.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  30. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    34866
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    94.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy View Post
    I would say to just take the time to learn Sumo and get as much info as possible. Ironically how different we all are because i am 6' 4" and conventional deads are my favorite lift. Best Romanian Deadlift was 315 x 20, 365 x 8. Never have tried sumo myself but maybe i should look into it

    And i believe i read you don't want your legs growing? Sumo deads are a LOT more leg dominant for most people but you will probably be very strong on them too.
    It's not that I don't want my legs to grow, it's just with legs I'm more concerned with strength and not size as much, since my legs are already massive granted some of that is fat.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
  2. Can I be on Resveratrol for ever
    By buster0371 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 02:27 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 04:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in