Can sumo deads be a replacement for deadlifts?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
After reading about sumo deadlifts and them being easier for taller people, I am considering trying them. I wanted to know however would it be more beneficial to learn how to do a standard deadlift better, or could I just switch to sumos? When I do my standard deadlifts, my arms always hit my knees, causing them to go inward alittle. If I try to have a wider grip so this doesn't happen, it sort of feels like I'm putting my wrists in a bad position, because I have to grip real wide for this not to happen. I'm 6' and I have just under a 6' 4" wingspan. With ddeadlifts, I'm less worried about size and more worried about strength. My legs are huge as it is and they grow with little effort. As long as I get strong enough to where I can lift people up, I'll be happy lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it's to get the strongest pull you can, then yes. However, the technique is MUCH more difficult.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I find that I like a wide stance when I squat and even when I deadlift it feels better to have my stance wider than a normal stance, never did a sumo dead lift stance, but I kind of do something inbetween. If I narrow my stance it doesn't feel right and it's harder to activate my glutes with a narrow stance.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I get alittle bit of lower back strain. It's not bad, but after about 2 reps it becomes a pain. As I stated as long as it can simulate me picking someone up and by making my lower body stronger, it'll make it so I can push my upper body more, I definitely may start doing sumos. Would I have to start with a lower weight on sumos though? Come to think of it when I pick things up off the ground I already use a sumo stance, I just never really noticed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get alittle bit of lower back strain. It's not bad, but after about 2 reps it becomes a pain. As I stated as long as it can simulate me picking someone up and by making my lower body stronger, it'll make it so I can push my upper body more, I definitely may start doing sumos. Would I have to start with a lower weight on sumos though? Come to think of it when I pick things up off the ground I already use a sumo stance, I just never really noticed.
If you get strain that easily, then you need to correct the imbalances in your hips and core.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Can't make suggestions without pics of posture, training breakdown, footwear, etc.
Well I'm too broke to get a new camera right now, but I am flat footed and when I train I wear Asics Gel-Evolution 6. Do you know any general stretches that would help? Basically my problem is I can lift the weight up, but after the first rep I start to feel minor strain. The first rep feels perfect, but the reps that fellow feel alittle off. I do two set of 3-5 reps with a 2-3 minute rest between sets.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're wearing the wrong shoes. Get flat-soled shoes for lifting (e.g. Chuck's).

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You're wearing the wrong shoes. Get flat-soled shoes for lifting (e.g. Chuck's).
They hurt my feet, I workout at home so I could go barefoot, but I am afraid I over pronate, less than I did before but it feels easier to go lower with the shoes than without.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They hurt my feet, I workout at home so I could go barefoot, but I am afraid I over pronate, less than I did before but it feels easier to go lower with the shoes than without.
Suck it up.

This seems like it would work great for me. This looks sort of like a hybrid between the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTQebgxi8A&list=PL3C05586831CA33F6&index=60&feature=plpp_video
Awful advice from that guy (as usual). You're not that tall and having long arms makes you ideal for sumo. Look at Dave Tate's instructionals and ignore everything from Hulse.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Suck it up.

Awful advice from that guy (as usual). You're not that tall and having long arms makes you ideal for sumo. Look at Dave Tate's instructionals and ignore everything from Hulse.
Wait so you're saying I should try sumos than? Also what about my knees hitting my arms? The reason I wear shoes when I lift is so I don't over pronate and put pressure on my knees and low back.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait so you're saying I should try sumos than? Also what about my knees hitting my arms? The reason I wear shoes when I lift is so I don't over pronate and put pressure on my knees and low back.
If your setup is correct, you won't hit your knees. Wear Chuck's not running shoes when you train lower body. They're what's causing you to shift the weight onto your toes and strain your lumbar.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
If your setup is correct, you won't hit your knees. Wear Chuck's not running shoes when you train lower body. They're what's causing you to shift the weight onto your toes and strain your lumbar.
In that case, I rather just train barefoot. I train at home on a carpeted floor. I wore hard sole shoes before for walking and everything and my knees started to hurt bad, I wasn't training at all at the time.

boogyman

Awards
In that case, I rather just train barefoot. I train at home on a carpeted floor. I wore hard sole shoes before for walking and everything and my knees started to hurt bad, I wasn't training at all at the time.

Just wear the Chucks while training, not for walking/running/anything else. I use them, hate the way they feel when walking, but they are great for squats and deadlifts.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Just wear the Chucks while training, not for walking/running/anything else. I use them, hate the way they feel when walking, but they are great for squats and deadlifts.
Another issue is I'm broke atleast for the rest the month.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If it's to get the strongest pull you can, then yes. However, the technique is MUCH more difficult.
Hell yeah...

What's these bloody knees I keep hearing about?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell yeah...

What's these bloody knees I keep hearing about?
His setup is bad if his knees are getting scraped. At most, I could see shins from the bar or maybe taking out some of the quad with one of the hands, but not bloody knees.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Due to you not owning a camera/smart phone?

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
^^^ this. I switched to flat-soled bare-boned canvas shoes (Puma). They feel great for deads. BTW I am 6 foot 4 plus and use a standard Deadlift stance.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I would say to just take the time to learn Sumo and get as much info as possible. Ironically how different we all are because i am 6' 4" and conventional deads are my favorite lift. Best Romanian Deadlift was 315 x 20, 365 x 8. Never have tried sumo myself but maybe i should look into it :)

And i believe i read you don't want your legs growing? Sumo deads are a LOT more leg dominant for most people but you will probably be very strong on them too.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
His setup is bad if his knees are getting scraped. At most, I could see shins from the bar or maybe taking out some of the quad with one of the hands, but not bloody knees.
my shins look like they've been through a meat grinder...
I can dig it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would say to just take the time to learn Sumo and get as much info as possible. Ironically how different we all are because i am 6' 4" and conventional deads are my favorite lift. Best Romanian Deadlift was 315 x 20, 365 x 8. Never have tried sumo myself but maybe i should look into it :)

And i believe i read you don't want your legs growing? Sumo deads are a LOT more leg dominant for most people but you will probably be very strong on them too.
Sumos are generally not for the taller population. The leverage is just not there since you can't go wide enough to really get the fully sumo technique. However, they are hip dominant and not so much thigh dominant.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

It's not that I don't want my legs to grow, it's just with legs I'm more concerned with strength and not size as much, since my legs are already massive granted some of that is fat.