Help with increasing squat strength/endurance pleeease

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Ok so I have a bum knee (multiple surgeries) and have had many pulled muscles in legs.
That aside my squats have always struggled. Currently can squat 335x5 (roughly)
Idk if others have this problem but when doing lighter weight for more reps, I cannot. At all. Like 225x8 and I'm about to die.. Out of breathe/back and legs gassed
Now that aside too, can someone name a good routine for helping leg strength. I also play rugby in season so running I know will hurt gains... I just want to be good at leg lifts!
Oh and deadlift is probably only 415 due to recent fed up hamstring

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
And current program has been;
Squats: 135x12 185x8 225x6 275x5 315x3 335x5
Deadlift: 225x5 275x5 315x5 365x5 405x3
Also do good mornings/sldl, lunges.

Also do a dynamic leg day/power day of snatches/cleans/box jumps/Nordic hammy exercises/ball bridges/sometimes front squats, and want to add box squats

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chances are that your technique is not optimal.

boogyman

Awards
Some short, intense cardio sessions may help.

napalm

napalm

Awards
This, and Prilepins's table is your friend. How about 3 warmups at 40, 50 and 60%, then into 5x5 starting at ~80% of 1rm increasing each week staying at the optimal reps Prilepin outlines?

Programming son, programming. don't be married to reps of 12, 10, 8 etc...

Good luck

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Rodja any places you recommend that would be good to read up on technique?

I could search online but dont want bum advice.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
This, and Prilepins's table is your friend. How about 3 warmups at 40, 50 and 60%, then into 5x5 starting at ~80% of 1rm increasing each week staying at the optimal reps Prilepin outlines?

Programming son, programming. don't be married to reps of 12, 10, 8 etc...

Good luck
Really like this, I'm gonna give it a shot for my bench/squats coming up. The 3 warm ups how many reps do you recommend ?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Well I know my form is not terrible. Worked out in an athletic performance center with pro coaches.. I've always just had problems with my legs via injuries and its just so hard to progress

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I know my form is not terrible. Worked out in an athletic performance center with pro coaches.. I've always just had problems with my legs via injuries and its just so hard to progress
If you were still constantly getting injured, then the coaches were not doing their job.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
If you were still constantly getting injured, then the coaches were not doing their job.
This x100. Any coach that allows you to constantly become injured is either not paying attention or missing huge flaws in technique

napalm

napalm

Awards
Really like this, I'm gonna give it a shot for my bench/squats coming up. The 3 warm ups how many reps do you recommend ?
until you're warmed up, but that's not the point.

the point is that you need to take a good look at your program. it has to allow for both progression and recovery. all we know about you and your your training is that you got bum knees and you do 'x sets for x reps on x exercise, and i do a bunch of these.' is that the set/rep scheme you do all the time? how long did it take you to build up to that? what are your goals for your next training cycle?

the various 5x5 programs out there are a start, but unless you allow for some time off after each 8-9 week cycle you'll burn out on them. look into wsfsb, 5/3/1, phat or any other proven program that suits your goals.

don't discard what rodja said about technique. what kind of pro coaches did you work with? if they were pros, they would have had you on a program incorporating progression, recovery and conditioning. imo, everyone should always be working on technique no matter what level. just because some you worked with some pro coach doesn't mean you don't have some weak points that should be addressed.

good luck...

boogyman

Awards
What were the injurys and what were they from? Everyone is assuming you were injured from lifting but that may not be the case.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
What were the injurys and what were they from? Everyone is assuming you were injured from lifting but that may not be the case.
3 knee surgeries, torn hamstring, 2 torn quad muscles, 1 shoulder surgery. All from playing rugby, none directly from lifting.

I was doing wS4sb III for a while.

The coaches were our college sports trainers, one almost made the Olympic lifting team. They knew their stuff and I don't think the lifting directly caused my injuries. Ever since I first tore my acl and they used my hammy as a graph it's been downhill leg wise.

If I stopped squatting I would be able to do 275x5 probably without training so now I'm at 335x5 not a huge jump for consistently training legs for ~5 months (had a break due to another knee surgery)

napalm

napalm

Awards
i'd give 5/3/1 a go, compared w the rest of the options it has probably the least volume which would be easier on the joints.

maybe cut out some of the compound assistance movements, you're pounding the fck out of yourself - which you get enough of playing rugby.

think training economy...

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
i'd give 5/3/1 a go, compared w the rest of the options it has probably the least volume which would be easier on the joints.

maybe cut out some of the compound assistance movements, you're pounding the fck out of yourself - which you get enough of playing rugby.

think training economy...
That does make sense, I think I will try 5/3/1. I have a friend doing it and he loves it. I never really deload so following that program to a T I may not keep killing myself..
Gotta pound it in my head to pick a reasonable starting point.. I always think I'm better then I really am haha , discourage myself from the start

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's the damn elephant in the room:

Video of your squat technique.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Here's the damn elephant in the room:

Video of your squat technique.
I'm gonna try and get in and do dl today, I'll see if I can throw on like 275 and get a squat video up.
Just had conditioning this morning so legs are kinda shot

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm gonna try and get in and do dl today, I'll see if I can throw on like 275 and get a squat video up.
Just had conditioning this morning so legs are kinda shot
225-275 should suffice since that's where you struggle.

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
225-275 should suffice since that's where you struggle.

What kind of shoes do you wear?
I have the new under armour spine shoes. They are running shoes, but I love them for lifting

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have the new under armour spine shoes. They are running shoes, but I love them for lifting
Terrible choice for lower body. Use a flat-sole shoe. Running shoes will shift your weight towards your toes and severely limit and lower posterior chain activation. Did you use athletic shoes while you were under the tutelage of the coaches as well?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Terrible choice for lower body. Use a flat-sole shoe. Running shoes will shift your weight towards your toes and severely limit and lower posterior chain activation. Did you use athletic shoes while you were under the tutelage of the coaches as well?
What kind of shoes have flat soles? Training shoes or does it have to be specific lifting shoes?
I used training shoes when I lifted with them, they were Nike's but cannot remember the style

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What kind of shoes have flat soles? Training shoes or does it have to be specific lifting shoes?
I used training shoes when I lifted with them, they were Nike's but cannot remember the style
Chuck's are the most common example. What do you mean by training shoes?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Chuck's are the most common example. What do you mean by training shoes?
I haven't heard of chucks?
They were like combine training shoes of some sort, not like the flimsy sparqs ones but meant more towards lifting. If I remember I think the sole was pretty flat on them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't heard of chucks?
They were like combine training shoes of some sort, not like the flimsy sparqs ones but meant more towards lifting. If I remember I think the sole was pretty flat on them.
You've never heard of Chuck Taylor's?

Can you post a picture of them or a simliar shoe?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Yes, and those are very bad for lower body work. Very unstable.
Ok I'll have to look into something better, with all the leg problems I have I probably should start with the right footwear

garz

garz

Awards
I am no pro... But, you need flat sole shoes and by chucks I think he ment..

Old school converse for $35-40 bucks. Flat, little to no grip or cushion inside. Almost like being barefoot. Or even crap skippies (tennis shoes) that you used to see in the 80-90's flicks/tv shows. If you look at the first rocky movie he's running around and training in chucks.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
I am no pro... But, you need flat sole shoes and by chucks I think he ment..

Old school converse for $35-40 bucks. Flat, little to no grip or cushion inside. Almost like being barefoot. Or even crap skippies (tennis shoes) that you used to see in the 80-90's flicks/tv shows. If you look at the first rocky movie he's running around and training in chucks.
This show situation is blowin my mind! I always bought fancy expensive shoes... Looks like all I needed was some converses haha

whaz

whaz

Awards
Just my 2 cents... I do squats and deadlift's in a $5 pair of vans that are flat bottomed with a very thin sole, maybe 1/4 inch. I've had similar knee issues. Not rugby related, more-so genetics, but I've had knee surgery and just in general have ****ty knees. I've been doing 5/3/1 for about a year now and I love it. I had to check my ego and try to follow it very strictly but my lifts have all slowly but surely increased. Even my squats which I had pretty much given up on lol. Best of luck OP.

garz

garz

Awards
This show situation is blowin my mind! I always bought fancy expensive shoes... Looks like all I needed was some converses haha
Just my 2 cents... I do squats and deadlift's in a $5 pair of vans that are flat bottomed with a very thin sole, maybe 1/4 inch. I've had similar knee issues. Not rugby related, more-so genetics, but I've had knee surgery and just in general have ****ty knees. I've been doing 5/3/1 for about a year now and I love it. I had to check my ego and try to follow it very strictly but my lifts have all slowly but surely increased. Even my squats which I had pretty much given up on lol. Best of luck OP.
Damn, I could never find a sick deal on converse or vans. I got mine for 12 bucks from H&M. They always have these fairy type tennis style shoes from the 90's for men. I end up getting a couple when I see them for the gym. Mine are always dogged cause the gym floor is mopped once a year.

Good luck, Mitch!

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Thank you all for the advice, I started 5/3/1 today and checked my ego for sure. Started 90% of my 90% 1RM for DL.

Side note: could not get a squat video done yet, but will try again and post

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok I'll have to look into something better, with all the leg problems I have I probably should start with the right footwear
This is part of the point I was trying to make about the coaches that oversaw your training. They obviously were not doing they're jobs.