Alternating Training Equipement (Free Weights & Bodyweight)

J

jwalker497

Awards
I'm curious if anyone alternates Equipment? I really love free weight movements but also bodyweight and weighted bodyweight moves. I think bodyweights needs to be incorporated but its too much to include in one workout. So I am thinking of alternating the equipment while keeping the moveemnts the same.

For example the first time I do upper day I will do a Barbell Workout, followed by bodyweight, etc, Dumbell, Bodyweight, barbell, etc. Im thinking this would give me a nice balance of bodyweight and free weights. example below

Horizontal Push = Barbell Bench
Horizontal Pull = Barbell Rows
Vertical Push = Standing Barbell Press
Vertical Pull = Lat Pulldown (No barbell available)
Elbow Ext = Barbell Curls
Elbow Flex = Skull Crushers

Horizontal Push = Weighted Pushups
Horizontal Pull = Weighted horizontal Chinups
Vertical Push = Weighted Handstand Pushups
Vertical Pull = Weighted Pullups
Elbow Ext = Close grip weighted chinups
Elbow Flex = Weighted Dips.

Anyone Else do this? IF so thoughts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't call chinups an elbow flexion movement as there is much more at play than just the biceps. I wouldn't even say that they are the primary mover. In any case, pullups are superior to lat pulldowns and it would be better to integrate these into one big pool instead of separating them into separate sessions. Also, did you mean inverted rows as your horizontal flexion when you wrote horizontal chinups?

J

jwalker497

Awards
I wouldn't call chinups an elbow flexion movement as there is much more at play than just the biceps. I wouldn't even say that they are the primary mover. In any case, pullups are superior to lat pulldowns and it would be better to integrate these into one big pool instead of separating them into separate sessions. Also, did you mean inverted rows as your horizontal flexion when you wrote horizontal chinups?
What would be a weighted Bodyweight Elbow Flexion movement? I understand Biceps aren't the only mover in Chin-ups but they are very important part.

What do you mean by one big pool?

lastly for Horizontal Chinups, I'm referring to these....edit... I cant post a link yet but imagine horizontal pullups with weight on my chest and feet resting on a bench. Goodgle "Weighted Horizontal Pull up"

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What would be a weighted Bodyweight Elbow Flexion movement? I understand Biceps aren't the only mover in Chin-ups but they are very important part.

What do you mean by one big pool?

lastly for Horizontal Chinups, I'm referring to these....edit... I cant post a link yet but imagine horizontal pullups with weight on my chest and feet resting on a bench. Goodgle "Weighted Horizontal Pull up"
That's an inverted row. When I say one big pool, I mean to use them all and not limited to certain days. There really isn't a BW elbow flexion movement unless you have some Blast Straps, rings, TRX, etc.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm curious if anyone alternates Equipment?

Anyone Else do this? IF so thoughts?
I alternate after I complete a full body's split.

Week 1 - Bi-lateral (as much BB work as possible)
Week 2 - Uni-lateral (as much DB work as possible)
Week 3 - Machine (uni/bi-lateral)
Repeat macro 3-4 times or more.

It takes me long time to platuea and I make incremental progress in strength for many weeks.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja knows his Sh*t. AdviCe from him is KNOWLEDGE!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja knows his Sh*t. AdviCe from him is KNOWLEDGE!!!
Thank you.

OP, another thing I should mention is that dips should not be considered an elbow extension movement (BTW, you have elbow flex/ex mixed up); it's a vertical flexion movement.