Bad Knees what to do for legs?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello all, I've had bad luck with my legs. Almost 30 but had 4 knee surgeries, doc said I can't do squats with weight. Hell when I squat on my own with no weight it's hard to get back up sometimes. So what can I do to not neglect my legs? I'm able to do cardio so I run quite a bit but I'm struggling with what to do for strength training for them. Don't wanna be the guy with a big upper body and chicken legs. Any tips would be appreciated!

Hardedge

Awards
If I recall correctly, the leg muscles are predominantly slow-twitch muscle fibers, and respond best to high reps. They have to work all day as you move around, right. You could try some kind of modified leg work where you sit down and use a resistance band as resistance, while pressing with each leg. And then slowly work up in resistance until you are comfortable. just an idea. I've seen some mountain bikers with thick legs and despite the low increase in resistance, it helps the legs grow because of repeated stimulation.
my 2 cents.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I recall correctly, the leg muscles are predominantly slow-twitch muscle fibers, and respond best to high reps. They have to work all day as you move around, right. You could try some kind of modified leg work where you sit down and use a resistance band as resistance, while pressing with each leg. And then slowly work up in resistance until you are comfortable. just an idea. I've seen some mountain bikers with thick legs and despite the low increase in resistance, it helps the legs grow because of repeated stimulation.
my 2 cents.
Far from true. There is a high amount of variation amongst leg muscle-fiber breakdown and, if they were primarily slow-twitch, you wouldn't see 1000lb squats and sub 10s 100M dash times.

Here are my thoughts: if you can run for an extended period of time, you can squat. However, you will have to make some technique adjustments and make it primarily a low-bar, powerlifter style squat instead of a high-bar, Olympic style squat. What this will do is shift emphasis from the knees to the hips and take much of the sheer off of the knee joint. Also, make sure that you have the proper footwear for both and, no, Vibram's are not appropriate.

Hardedge

Awards
true, although I do remember that in some parts of the leg, slow twitch fibers make up 90 % of muscle fibers. I think the calves are one of them. Those are good suggestions, if the knees are the bad spot, you have to find a way to train such that the knee is sort of removed from the process.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
true, although I do remember that in some parts of the leg, slow twitch fibers make up 90 % of muscle fibers. I think the calves are one of them. Those are good suggestions, if the knees are the bad spot, you have to find a way to train such that the knee is sort of removed from the process.
The soleus is predominantly slow-twitch.

GoHard818

GoHard818

Banned
Awards
I have a torn meniscus in my left knee. I cant do any standing leg workouts but anything sitting seems to be good. Leg press machine leg extension etc., I feel ya bro! Tried dead lifting the other day and couldn't do but 2 reps before it felt like my knee blew out. Just do medium weight somethings better than nothing, thats the way I look at it. Good luck.

GoHard818

GoHard818

Banned
Awards
I have a torn meniscus in my left knee. I cant do any standing leg workouts but anything sitting seems to be good. Leg press machine leg extension etc., I feel ya bro! Tried dead lifting the other day and couldn't do but 2 reps before it felt like my knee blew out. Just do medium weight somethings better than nothing, thats the way I look at it. Good luck.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Shouldn't be any reason you can't do RDLs and/or straight leg deads

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Shouldn't be any reason you can't do RDLs and/or straight leg deads
Gave the straight leg deads a go this morning. Can't do much weight but I'll def. be doing these and leg presses more frequently. Not much more I can think of adding in. Leg Curls and extensions I can do but again not with much weight.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Forget the leg curls and extensions. Stick to free weight hip extension movements, like deadlifts, good mornings, RDL's, etc.

Also, do VMO work, such as knee extensions (from 20 degrees flexion to full extension) with a band.

Br

reliables

Awards
Gave the straight leg deads a go this morning. Can't do much weight but I'll def. be doing these and leg presses more frequently. Not much more I can think of adding in. Leg Curls and extensions I can do but again not with much weight.

______________________________________________________________________________________

reliabletop.es Tablet PC China

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
If you can handle the bike, try cracking up the resistance and do 30 sec sprints. 10 sets of these and your legs should be pretty fried. Use VERY high resistance. RPMs should be under 60. Warning -- this will hurt!

PROness

Awards
T-nation has a whole article on knee friendly quad/ leg builders.

I can't post the link but google: t-nation knee friendly quad builders and it will take you right to it.