loss weight or bulk up an then cut down

cobbob

Awards
Hi guys am 5'10 about 320 and no i am not all fat i recently just got out of police academy and did not drop weight like i wanted gained muscle more than anything. Anyways my question is should i drop weight first and than bulk up or bulk up and than start to cut my ideal weight is around 250 but i am more concerned about what the mirrors says than the scale please try to keep comments postive im looking for good info. and i am not new to lifting. since ive been gone to the academy they did not allow us to lift so im jus now geting to start back after 3 months and wanting to know wat route to take

napalm

napalm

Awards
Bulk up from 320? You should be concentrating on losing weight at this point. I don't see very long foot pursuits in your future at that weight.

Good luck...

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
I agree with napalm, cutting now is your best bet.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
IMO dont cut like trying to eat like an auschwitz survivor. look into carb backloading or intermittent fating and i bet you will get a lot stronger while shedding fat.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
IMO dont cut like trying to eat like an auschwitz survivor. look into carb backloading or intermittent fating and i bet you will get a lot stronger while shedding fat.
This... I was in your boat. Dropped thirty pounds on IF and peeps tell me it looks like i dropped over 50 pounds.... There is some kind of magic in the fasted response.... Not sure if its the increased GH or what, but it works for almost everybody who tries it...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed 100%

Although, and this may vary depending on what IF protocol you use, I believe Martin from LeanGains discourages IFing at high bf.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Hi guys am 5'10 about 320 and no i am not all fat i recently just got out of police academy and did not drop weight like i wanted gained muscle more than anything. Anyways my question is should i drop weight first and than bulk up or bulk up and than start to cut my ideal weight is around 250 but i am more concerned about what the mirrors says than the scale please try to keep comments postive im looking for good info. and i am not new to lifting. since ive been gone to the academy they did not allow us to lift so im jus now geting to start back after 3 months and wanting to know wat route to take
Your ideal weight at 5'10 is 250? What kind of bodyfat are we talking about here?

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Agreed 100%

Although, and this may vary depending on what IF protocol you use, I believe Martin from LeanGains discourages IFing at high bf.
i started at a higher bodyfat level and it has been the best protocal i have ever used for losing weight consistently... I was carb cycling prior, carb cycling and IF flipped the switch...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i started at a higher bodyfat level and it has been the best protocal i have ever used for losing weight consistently... I was carb cycling prior, carb cycling and IF flipped the switch...
Yeah. I just thought of how a number of powerlifters have used it as well, and they're all pushing 25-30 bf.

NLAFounder

NLAFounder

Board Sponsor
Awards
I can't really make judgements on you until I know what your body fat percentage is. However, you are 320 and want to be 250 so there shouldn't be a question about anymore bulking start slimming down now. You can keep gaining muscle while shredding fat. 3 things you need to start doing:
1) Powerbodybuilding: Big Mike O'Hearn has pioneered this type of lifting. It combines heavy compound powerlifting with lighter weight, high rep sculpting exercises. Check this out here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike-ohearn-power-bodybuilding-12-week-training-program.html

2) Circuit training: Doing at most 4 lifts in a row with a maximum 2 minutes rest in between sets. This keeps your heart rate up and burning more fat. Check out some example workouts I have put together here: http://www.nlaperformance.com/blog/2/category/Workouts
You can do a heavy set of bench, then go straight into bicep curls, then into walking lunges or an AB exercise. This keeps your whole body working so you never get complacent doing one body part for 2 hours.

3) Sprinting: Hill sprints, weight vest sprints on the grass (less hard on knees), weighted sled pulls, etc... This shreds fat while keeping your strength and explosiveness on point.

Hope all this helps,
Justin M.