My lifts are going up but my muscles keep getting smaller?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Errmmmm, any more info you can give us? Cutting, bulking? Calorie intake? macro splits? etc will be useful

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Or bad form?

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
If u go from high reps and volume to a low volume powerlifting style training this can happen

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Increase in strength does not translate to hypertrophy necessarily , in other words...training for strength does not equate to muscle-mass gains. It is a common misconception though, that pure strength training adds mass to the body, both diet and hypertrophy are required.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Increase in strength does not translate to hypertrophy necessarily , in other words...training for strength does not equate to muscle-mass gains. It is a common misconception though, that pure strength training adds mass to the body, both diet and hypertrophy are required.
But that isnt also to say that pure strength training wont lead to hypertrophy. Hypertrophy can still be accomplished through a strength only type routine.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
But that isnt also to say that pure strength training wont lead to hypertrophy. Hypertrophy can still be accomplished through a strength only type routine.
It can if proper assistance is added, it's just that sheer strength training does not necessarily equate to mass.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
My guess is that it's either bad form or diet or both.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
It can if proper assistance is added, it's just that sheer strength training does not necessarily equate to mass.
I could be wrong but Ive always thought low reps = myofibril hypertrophy and high reps = sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. lifting only heavy singles your CNS will be the main contributor of strength but u will also get some slow hypertrophy gains from myofibril growth. now going to a high volume routine you will store more muscle glycogen(as well as water) and achieve sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. if u go from high volume to low volume ur body wont need to hold as much glycogen in the muscle and it may seem like you arnt as big, but its just a response to the lower volume. i could be totally wrong on all this and i know it isnt that cut and dry. feel free to pick my whole arguement apart if im wrong, its been years since ive even cared about looking into the subject. i just know high volume is easier to grow on for me, but when i cut the volume back i wont feel as "full" as when i do high volume. and OP diet > all else. if u cut back the carbs it can also make a huge difference.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I could be wrong but Ive always thought low reps = myofibril hypertrophy and high reps = sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. lifting only heavy singles your CNS will be the main contributor of strength but u will also get some slow hypertrophy gains from myofibril growth. now going to a high volume routine you will store more muscle glycogen(as well as water) and achieve sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. if u go from high volume to low volume ur body wont need to hold as much glycogen in the muscle and it may seem like you arnt as big, but its just a response to the lower volume. i could be totally wrong on all this and i know it isnt that cut and dry. feel free to pick my whole arguement apart if im wrong, its been years since ive even cared about looking into the subject. i just know high volume is easier to grow on for me, but when i cut the volume back i wont feel as "full" as when i do high volume. and OP diet > all else. if u cut back the carbs it can also make a huge difference.
Nah not gonna pick it apart , and all said I do agree with most of it. My main thought that came to mind now is the diet, even Rodja has mentioned it many times; you can make strength gains even on a deficit. Alas if the OP is on a deficit he will definitely get smaller, while still gaining strength...so I do not think it very likely that it is a form/technique problem we are dealing with...but rather a Nutritional one.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Nah not gonna pick it apart , and all said I do agree with most of it. My main thought that came to mind now is the diet, even Rodja has mentioned it many times; you can make strength gains even on a deficit. Alas if the OP is on a deficit he will definitely get smaller, while still gaining strength...so I do not think it very likely that it is a form/technique problem we are dealing with...but rather a Nutritional one.
Agreed

Cokeboyz

Awards
Ok I weigh 175. For awhile I've been eating 3,000 calories and 196g protein daily. I'm gonna try increasing my calorie intake to 4,000 and my protein intake to 262. Would this be a good idea? From what I remember my diet was similar to that last time I was making gains

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Ok I weigh 175. For awhile I've been eating 3,000 calories and 196g protein daily. I'm gonna try increasing my calorie intake to 4,000 and my protein intake to 262. Would this be a good idea? From what I remember my diet was similar to that last time I was making gains
No haha , you are 175 lbs so you really don't need more than 175lbs of protein. Get carbs and Fats in there...