Will doing reverse grip lying extensions help with elbow pain?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Every time I do extensions, whether I warm up or not, whether lying or standing I get pain in my elbows. Will doing them reverse grip help and will they build my triceps as effectively?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Sounds like tendonitis...thought about getting Fat Gripz and maybe doing some Zottman Curls to help with it? I have heard people alleviate their tendonitis like this at times

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
try doing them off of an incline or a decline board. its not quite as painful on a decline for me. also, make sure you're not locking your elbows, i caught my self doing that and it made it hurt 10 times worse. also try wrapping them up. i put a tight wrap/sleeve on and it helps a good bit.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Isolation movements kill my joints. Close grip BP's also work well as a mass builder.

Risk-reward...

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
try doing them off of an incline or a decline board. its not quite as painful on a decline for me. also, make sure you're not locking your elbows, i caught my self doing that and it made it hurt 10 times worse. also try wrapping them up. i put a tight wrap/sleeve on and it helps a good bit.
I have wraps still same issue and I tried not locking them sill same issue, in fact it hurts lowering the weight and raising it, but I did answer my own question, for the most part the pain is gone with a reverse grip. I had to lower the weight of course and using the ez bar I have to bring my hands in real close which feels awkward, because if I put my hands where they're suppose to go where the bend is, as I lower the bar, it rotates and it moves the bend part off of my palms and onto my thumbs. So I fixed the problem but I either need to get a better ez bar or do them standing with the straight bar because if I try to do them lying with the straight bar, the bar will hit my bed, its too long. But are extensions as effect reverse grip?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like tendonitis...thought about getting Fat Gripz and maybe doing some Zottman Curls to help with it? I have heard people alleviate their tendonitis like this at times
The trouble is I've always had issues with extensions.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Then avoid them, at least until you work out what the problem is. Pain should never be "worked through", especially if its joint based.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Then avoid them, at least until you work out what the problem is. Pain should never be "worked through", especially if its joint based.
Yeah I agree, but I can do them reverse griped just fine, I wonder how they would feel with a "super curl bar", but apparently I have to order one online just to see since no place around seems to carry it.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Ever tried doing them with dumbbells? Or set the cable pulley high and face away from it and you can do cable skullcrushers. Both feel a lot better for me. I cant even play with bar skullcrushers or overhead extensions with a bar without my elbows wanting to explode. I usually just do dips tho.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Ever tried doing them with dumbbells? Or set the cable pulley high and face away from it and you can do cable skullcrushers. Both feel a lot better for me. I cant even play with bar skullcrushers or overhead extensions with a bar without my elbows wanting to explode. I usually just do dips tho.
I don't have access to a gym right now, well I sort of do but I'd have to rely on my grandmom to take me since I don't have a car.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I don't have access to a gym right now, well I sort of do but I'd have to rely on my grandmom to take me since I don't have a car.

Theres also a way to do them bodyweight. Set a bar about nipple height and face it. Grab it like your gonna do a pushup off of it but only bend your elbows. U can adjust height to make it more difficult.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Every time I do extensions, whether I warm up or not, whether lying or standing I get pain in my elbows. Will doing them reverse grip help and will they build my triceps as effectively?
Lying tri extensions are very overrated IMO. I have the same pain, and I actually have stopped doing that workout for at least a year now and still developing my triceps nicely.
I would say skip the movement and try out press downs, dips, and close grip smith press (done at the end to go lighter and stave off elbow pain).

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Lying tri extensions are very overrated IMO. I have the same pain, and I actually have stopped doing that workout for at least a year now and still developing my triceps nicely.
I would say skip the movement and try out press downs, dips, and close grip smith press (done at the end to go lighter and stave off elbow pain).
I only have access to free weights atm.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Bench dips, close grip floor press, etc etc.
Yeah I was going to try extensions with a super curl bar and I do, do bench dips. Floor press would be a pain to do, since I'd have to move so much stuff outside of my room to have room. I noticed with a grip with my palms facing away from me, my elbows stick out more and with a grip with my palms facing me, my elbows want to stick in more and not flare out. I have long forearms so some movements are awkward for me. I have a 6' 4" wing span.