Shoulder ache towards end of set? - AnabolicMinds.com

Shoulder ache towards end of set?

1. New Member
    Answers

Shoulder ache towards end of set?

Not entirely sure if this is the right section but...

On days I train shoulder, occasionally my left shoulder has a mild ache / burn after several reps on my working sets. It's a strange feeling that's hard to describe, it just feels a lot more fatigued than my right shoulder. I wouldn't say it's painful, just a slight burn. It generally goes as soon as I out the weights down and other than during shoulder workouts I never notice a problem with it.

From what i can remember i injured my shoulder in the same location as the ache around 8 years ago playing football.

I'm just wondering wether it's normal to ache more in an area localised to a previous injury, or wether im actually injuring myself again? This has gone on or the last year or 2 despite spending long periods up to 2 months away from the weights.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

It sounds like impingement and tendonitis. Basically, your one of your tendons (either biceps tendon or one of the rotator cuff muscles) is rubbing between your acromium (that boney process at the top of your shoulder) and the head of your humerus (upper arm bone). As this occurs, the tendon gets irritated and inflammed (swells and hot), and as a result, the muscle cannot generate the same force since the tendon encounters a lot of resistance as it tries to slide between the two bones. Think of a very poorly maintained cable and pulley system, and the cable is wearing away and fraying.

Here's some more info I wrote about the shoulder and how to correct it.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/07/22/g...lenoid-health/
    http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/07/22/t...lders-in-2012/

Br

3. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    It sounds like impingement and tendonitis. Basically, your one of your tendons (either biceps tendon or one of the rotator cuff muscles) is rubbing between your acromium (that boney process at the top of your shoulder) and the head of your humerus (upper arm bone). As this occurs, the tendon gets irritated and inflammed (swells and hot), and as a result, the muscle cannot generate the same force since the tendon encounters a lot of resistance as it tries to slide between the two bones. Think of a very poorly maintained cable and pulley system, and the cable is wearing away and fraying.

Here's some more info I wrote about the shoulder and how to correct it.

Br
    Thanks a lot, at work at the moment so only skim read through it, I'll read in full when I am home.

I've seen your advice on training the external rotators and scapula retractors, how often do you recommend training these?

Also can I carry on training the larger delt muscles or is it recommended I take the time off whilst strengthening the other parts? The problem doesn't tend to occur until the end of my working sets, but I dont want to risk damaging my shoulder more seriously

Many thanks

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Try to do some external rotator and scap retractor/depressor work 2-4 times a week.

Correct your form on over head presses and reduce the volume some, and stop performing front/side raise movements (and pec fly movements) for a 3-6 weeks, or until the problem gets better. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to do a lot of high volume raises and flies for a while...but IMO, they aren't really a crucial movements for pec/delt development.

5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Also consider your overall ratio of internal:external rotation work (as I'm sure those links go over) and consider your training split. If you're using a bodypart split, be mindful that your shoulders are heavily involved on chest days, back days, as well as shoulder days.

6. New Member
    Answers

Cheers guys! Taken your advice on board and hopefully it'll sort itself out

Thanks!

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dropping dosage towards end of cycle thoughts..
    By xtraflossy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM
  2. H-G-H towards end of cycle and into 2nd week of PCT???
    By Platinum_01 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
  3. Light-headed & out of it towards end of run
    By tarheel10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
  4. Are you guys tapering at the end of the cycle?
    By alpha6164 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 05:09 AM
  5. Number of Sets You Do for Chest?
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 11:09 PM