trying to gain mass and get bigger arms!

lund94

lund94

Awards
Been working out for almost 3 years. I was wondering if there were more arm workouts/ideas i should know about to look forward and put more of a mass on. How many times per week? How many sets/reps? And etc..

uvawahoowa

Awards
Been working out for almost 3 years. I was wondering if there were more arm workouts/ideas i should know about to look forward and put more of a mass on. How many times per week? How many sets/reps? And etc..
Squats and deads. Heavy.

Your welcome.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Squats and deads. Heavy.

Your welcome.
This^^^

Seriously. You don't need to isolate your arms. Get you squat, dead, and bench press up and your arms will grow. Have you ever seen someone who can squat and pull 500lbs and bench press 300 that have small arms? No. If you are strong on the big three you will be big all over.

lund94

lund94

Awards
Thanks! Lets see how it goes for the next couple of weeks.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
As was mentioned about gaining overall mass will be most beneficial. Much of this will be related your diet as well. Do you know about how many calories you're getting in? Do you track calories, muscle girth and strength increases?

lund94

lund94

Awards
As was mentioned about gaining overall mass will be most beneficial. Much of this will be related your diet as well. Do you know about how many calories you're getting in? Do you track calories, muscle girth and strength increases?
Yeah i was just about to reply on the thread asking about how much to take in for calories. How much should i eat?

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Yeah i was just about to reply on the thread asking about how much to take in for calories. How much should i eat?
Google TDEE calculator and fill in with your info. Then eat 500 cals over that number.

lund94

lund94

Awards
Google TDEE calculator and fill in with your info. Then eat 500 cals over that number.
Sum came up to approximately 3200. Ive been actually eating a lot recently. Quite a helpful calorie calculation system. Thanks! Lets see how this goes.

y0lked

y0lked

Awards
10x10 German Volume Training once a week works for me.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Amongst all the above stuff I agree with I also love and u should try drop sets. Now THAT adds MASS!!

Good luck and eat! Eat! Eat!

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
Amongst all the above stuff I agree with I also love and u should try drop sets. Now THAT adds MASS!!

Good luck and eat! Eat! Eat!

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
I'm cutting currently, but I'm going to try drop sets next week, starting with chest.

Nico1

Nico1

Awards
If your not growing it's usually your edit increase calories by 500 make sure u get minimum 1gram protein xlbm

wrathchild281

Awards
try bumping up volume ever so often. And like arnold did alot. dropsets and supersets, be creative

lund94

lund94

Awards
try bumping up volume ever so often. And like arnold did alot. dropsets and supersets, be creative
Sorry for the late update, i havent been on this forum for some time, but over the pass months I've gained a good amount of strength and mass. And im now currently deloading. But soon heading back do my bulking stage. Should i add a couple HIIT days to my workouts?

TexasGuy

Awards
I haven't read the whole thread but after a few posts wanted to say that squats will not make your arms grow.

Developing the squat can assist in arm development by creating a favorable flood of hormones and the base necessary to go heavier on other lifts.

You have to stimulate a specific muscle for it to grow.

Deadlifts too. Consider heavy barbell curls. Many people hunch over like a little old lady during curls because their back isn't strong enough to stand strong. At some point, this will be a limiting factor. You will eventually just crumple and your bicep development, where barbell curls are concerned, will be limited by a weak back.

Increasing upper back strength will in turn allow you to go heavier on barbell curls, allowing greater stimulus and growth.

Heavy compound lifts have been shown to give a testosterone boost too, so throwing in some arm work after heavy squat day can potentially lead to greater protein synthesis and nitrogen retention, assuming proper nutritional protocols are followed too.

To really build impressive biceps, you will need to hit them directly. Compound lifts should be in every routine, "functional" strength is awesome, but if you want thick, strong, wide biceps with a peak you will need to add to the indirect work provided by various pulls.

Heavy barbell curls, cable curls (constant tension), spider curls, reverse grip curls, hammer curls... hit them from different angles, weight and rep schemes.

What does your routine look like currently? It would be helpful to know before suggesting alterations.

wrathchild281

Awards
Sorry for the late update, i havent been on this forum for some time, but over the pass months I've gained a good amount of strength and mass. And im now currently deloading. But soon heading back do my bulking stage. Should i add a couple HIIT days to my workouts?
IMO yes you should! HIIT is great for either bulking, cutting or recomping and is far superior to slow/low intensity cardio. 2-3 x a week is ideal and keep them no longer than 45-1hr. More than 3 times a week can be a bit much and hinder the amount of size u can retain and also pushing the hiit sessions past an hour can also do the same if overdone.

On top of it u can have alot more fun out of hiit related training. Cones and ladders on the field, Football, basketball, tennis, racquetball the options go on. Pick one and have fun. Also i wouldnt hit the HIIT preworkout or even lets say on ur heavier lifting days as ur primary focus should be lifting heavy weights.

lund94

lund94

Awards
I haven't read the whole thread but after a few posts wanted to say that squats will not make your arms grow.

Developing the squat can assist in arm development by creating a favorable flood of hormones and the base necessary to go heavier on other lifts.

You have to stimulate a specific muscle for it to grow.

Deadlifts too. Consider heavy barbell curls. Many people hunch over like a little old lady during curls because their back isn't strong enough to stand strong. At some point, this will be a limiting factor. You will eventually just crumple and your bicep development, where barbell curls are concerned, will be limited by a weak back.

Increasing upper back strength will in turn allow you to go heavier on barbell curls, allowing greater stimulus and growth.

Heavy compound lifts have been shown to give a testosterone boost too, so throwing in some arm work after heavy squat day can potentially lead to greater protein synthesis and nitrogen retention, assuming proper nutritional protocols are followed too.

To really build impressive biceps, you will need to hit them directly. Compound lifts should be in every routine, "functional" strength is awesome, but if you want thick, strong, wide biceps with a peak you will need to add to the indirect work provided by various pulls.

Heavy barbell curls, cable curls (constant tension), spider curls, reverse grip curls, hammer curls... hit them from different angles, weight and rep schemes.

What does your routine look like currently? It would be helpful to know before suggesting alterations.
I recently finished a 5x5 workout program. And it was pretty awsome. As for my biceps, i personally dont like stand up curls. I usually replace them with concentration curls, hammer curls, reverse grip and etc..and as for my compound movements for my upper body I've been adding more rows, deadlifts et. Sorry if i got anything wrong in this thread and correct me if im wrong guys . Im still a 'noob' to working out. Lol

lund94

lund94

Awards
IMO yes you should! HIIT is great for either bulking, cutting or recomping and is far superior to slow/low intensity cardio. 2-3 x a week is ideal and keep them no longer than 45-1hr. More than 3 times a week can be a bit much and hinder the amount of size u can retain and also pushing the hiit sessions past an hour can also do the same if overdone.

On top of it u can have alot more fun out of hiit related training. Cones and ladders on the field, Football, basketball, tennis, racquetball the options go on. Pick one and have fun. Also i wouldnt hit the HIIT preworkout or even lets say on ur heavier lifting days as ur primary focus should be lifting heavy weights.
thanks a lot. Im trying to keep my heart rate up as i do my sessions also. So therefore, explosively lifting my reps, lower rest times in between sets, and supersets. I was planning on jumproping in between sets. Good idea?