Rotating Rep Ranges?

jwalker497

Awards
Im curious if anyone rotates rep ranges? Example, I do a heavy chest/Back workout for 5-7 reps, next time I hit those muscle in about 4 days I will do a lighter workout for 8-11 reps.

Just want to know if anyone does something similiar and how it has worked for you.

Im actually thinking of doing a Light, Medium, Heavy. For Light it will be 9-11 reps, then medium workout for 6-8 reps, then a heavy one for 3-5 reps.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I rotate through different rep ranges every week. I begin the week with lower reps, say 5x5 or 8x3, using that for one upper body and one lower body day. I rest a day, then begin high rep days, say 8-10x10-12 for each bodypart.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What you are describing is undulating periodization. I think if you are going to rotate the reps, you should also match the rest periods and rep tempo with it.

I use a form of western block, whereby I work for 3 weeks in an extensive to intensive fashion, take 1-2 weeks of restitution, and then begin a new training goal for another 3 weeks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do, but it's not really planned out in that fashion. I go more by feel depending on energy levels and how my body feels that day. There are some days where my joints feel great and I go heavier on those days (5-8 reps, stopping 1-2 short of failure) and there are other days where I stick to 12-15 reps.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do, but it's not really planned out in that fashion. I go more by feel depending on energy levels and how my body feels that day. There are some days where my joints feel great and I go heavier on those days (5-8 reps, stopping 1-2 short of failure) and there are other days where I stick to 12-15 reps.
Exactly. And there are some days when you know you just need to stick with dynamic effort work and let your CNS recover.

wrathchild281

Awards
exactly what i do. power days and speed/bbing style. Constantly changing and seeing gains. I recommend it for sure