Squatting Everyday?

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Was reading an article about the Broz method of heavy squatting every day. Anybody have any experience doing this? What were the results?

I am on a deload week on 5/3/1 and decided to squat heavy (for me) every day just to see how I respond to it. By far it's my favorite exercise so I am having fun with it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
subbed for the interest and because I like squats haha

I have no idea..Same with you, squating is my favorite lift and I feel the best results from hitting it twice a week

I'm interested in seeing how it turns out for you

how many sets/reps were you planning on doing each day?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are some Oly methods that can be applied to PL'ing, but this is not one that is recommended.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established

I have no idea..Same with you, squating is my favorite lift and I feel the best results from hitting it twice a week

My 1RM on squats is 320#, so I am shooting for rep variations around this weight (eg 220# x 13 reps) and mixing it up everyday. Just experimenting to see if it has any noticeable effect on my next 5/3/1 Cycle which I will start next week.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
There are some Oly methods that can be applied to PL'ing, but this is not one that is recommended.
Is it detrimental to increasing strength, or just a waste of time?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say that adding LIGHT weight squats into your normal every day workout could be beneficial for muscle memory regarding form and the overall movement, but maybe not for strength gains.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
wendler has a high frequency squat workout in the second edition. so if you want to do 5/3/1 and want to squat a lot, there's how to do it.

if you plan on squatting everyday and doing your own program you have to learn how to determine your optimal weekly load and plan out the proper frequency at the proper intensity to garner the needs you want.

SynPow3r21

SynPow3r21

Awards
Can't remember where I saw a post on this, could've been on a gear site, but I have read that alternating squats and leg press every other day increases IGF-1 in the body, so it should be promoting muscle growth. I've incorporated this into my new routine for the past 3 weeks and even though mentally I feel just as strong (10-12 reps @ 75% 1RM) as when I started, it's nothing compared to the definition I'm seeing. Will be taking week 4,8 & 12 progress pics too. I'm interested to see your results with it as well.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
So I finished the week of doing 6 sets daily working up to 245# on the last set. I hit a PR on the last day (today) with 10 reps. The range was below parallel but not quite ATG.

The main benefit that I noticed was improving my form. There was feeling of increasing my stability on the lift, which is a big boost to confidence which pushes me to attack my PRs. The reps are feeling pretty automatic at this point.

I've been putting alot of effort into my squat since reading Rippetoe back in February of this year. My 5/3/1 plan has me working with 300# in Feb 2013. Let's see if I can get there.

Anyways, I'm finished with my experiment and will go back to once a week per 5/3/1. My 6th cycle starts Monday.

Cheers,

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
wendler has a high frequency squat workout in the second edition. so if you want to do 5/3/1 and want to squat a lot, there's how to do it.

if you plan on squatting everyday and doing your own program you have to learn how to determine your optimal weekly load and plan out the proper frequency at the proper intensity to garner the needs you want.
Interested in your opinion of the 2nd edition. Is there enough new material to justify the purchase if I have the 1st?

Regards,

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interested in your opinion of the 2nd edition. Is there enough new material to justify the purchase if I have the 1st?

Regards,
IMO, yes. It has enough new material to spark ideas and to weave the 5/3/1 philosophy into other training philosophies such as DC.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I finished the week of doing 6 sets daily working up to 245# on the last set. I hit a PR on the last day (today) with 10 reps. The range was below parallel but not quite ATG.

The main benefit that I noticed was improving my form. There was feeling of increasing my stability on the lift, which is a big boost to confidence which pushes me to attack my PRs. The reps are feeling pretty automatic at this point.

I've been putting alot of effort into my squat since reading Rippetoe back in February of this year. My 5/3/1 plan has me working with 300# in Feb 2013. Let's see if I can get there.

Anyways, I'm finished with my experiment and will go back to once a week per 5/3/1. My 6th cycle starts Monday.

Cheers,
congrats on the PR! I've been wondering how your experiment was

for 5 weeks, I split quads on Wednesday and hamstrings on Saturday, then I have been doing the PHAT routine and can tell a huge difference in my squats. I began with repping 405 for 3, and now I'm 465 for 3 parallel. majority of that gap was from form, the other was just keepin my legs conditioned

I'm contemplating doing 5/3/1 when I run my first PH

You'll be able to work with 300lbs easy especially since you said your form is better now

lemme know how ya do!

sugardaddy69

sugardaddy69

Awards
not for strenght oly lifts and lowerweight skill moves are ok

squatting heavy ed will tighten up your lumbar area too much and will cause pain