Dips and chest pain

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
Anybody else get chest pain during dips when they go down?

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
Me too but it only happens at times but not when I go down straight without bending forward.the pain is like in the middle of the chest or you can say between my pectorals.

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
Yeah that's where it's at for me I love dips but it's very strange but it sucks cuz it feels like the muscle is going to pulled but usually I just push through it. But on Tuesday, we were lifting for soccer and I was on my 20th rep and I felt a sharp pain as I went down and was like Ahh ****. And tried doing dips yesterday same pain so I'm thinking of taking a rest week and then returning to training.

PrimiFit

Awards
If it hurts, something's wrong. I would skip that exercise and do something else, if it doesn't feel right. Also make sure that you have the technique down and that you use a sensible, controlled tempo, with no funny stuff, like bouncing or sudden drops to the bottom position.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I used to get this years ago, right in my sternum. One thing that has helped me a lot is doing them towards the end of my workout when everything is thoroughly warmed up, including shoulders. I simply cannot do dips at the beginning because it is too demanding on my joints.

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
If it hurts, something's wrong. I would skip that exercise and do something else, if it doesn't feel right. Also make sure that you have the technique down and that you use a sensible, controlled tempo, with no funny stuff, like bouncing or sudden drops to the bottom position.
I'll get the strength coach from our football team to supervise me when doing dips to make sure I'm doing them right.

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
I used to get this years ago, right in my sternum. One thing that has helped me a lot is doing them towards the end of my workout when everything is thoroughly warmed up, including shoulders. I simply cannot do dips at the beginning because it is too demanding on my joints.
Yeah that's pretty smart I didn't think of that. Thank you! I'll give it a shot it may also be that my body is just worn out from soccer. It's a really demanding sport. But thanks!

abeckham

abeckham

Awards
I know what you mean, and by the time I'm through with chest and tris dips kill me. I do like the seated dip machine though. Keeps the stress off my chest and lets me get that tri movement in without any pain.

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
I know what you mean, and by the time I'm through with chest and tris dips kill me. I do like the seated dip machine though. Keeps the stress off my chest and lets me get that tri movement in without any pain.
Yeah I don't have a gym to go to. I workout in the park so obviously no machines haha. But oh we'll just gotta keep on going.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I had this too. If I stay vertical and do weighted singles I don't feel the pain. Start from the ground I stead of starting at the top. After each rep touch the ground for a split second and reload. I've found with this method I can use more weight for more reps (+135lbs easy)

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Funny this thread came up I was doing dips yesterday and I've started getting a pain on the inside of my right pec. Almost where the sternum is.

thessbros

thessbros

Awards
Funny this thread came up I was doing dips yesterday and I've started getting a pain on the inside of my right pec. Almost where the sternum is.
Yeah **** happens! But dips are arguably the best workout for triceps and good mass builder for chest too if you don't like benching.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Yeah **** happens! But dips are arguably the best workout for triceps and good mass builder for chest too if you don't like benching.
Look up Gironda dips, I think it's the single best chest excersise I've ever done.
Peace

wrathchild281

Awards
chest or shoulder pain? try the seated machine dip if your gym has it