Is 1 set of weighted Pullups and 1 set of weighted chinups enough

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I am about to order a pullup bar that I can do weighted pullups and chinups on. Currently I have a doorway pullup bar. What I currently do is 1 set of pullups to failure followed by one set of chinups to failure with just my bodyweight since its a doorway bar. After that I drink a protein shake, afew hours later after I get about two meals in I do the rest of my arm workout then I have another shake. This is the only day I split my workout up over afew hours, because I don't want to have my arms so tired that I can't do curls, which would be the case if I did curls right after pullups. I was wondering when I start doing weighted pullups and chinups, is one set enough and should I do pullups on my chest and back days and do chinups on my arm days? I want my arms to get bigger.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am about to order a pullup bar that I can do weighted pullups and chinups on. Currently I have a doorway pullup bar. What I currently do is 1 set of pullups to failure followed by one set of chinups to failure with just my bodyweight since its a doorway bar. After that I drink a protein shake, afew hours later after I get about two meals in I do the rest of my arm workout then I have another shake. This is the only day I split my workout up over afew hours, because I don't want to have my arms so tired that I can't do curls, which would be the case if I did curls right after pullups. I was wondering when I start doing weighted pullups and chinups, is one set enough and should I do pullups on my chest and back days and do chinups on my arm days? I want my arms to get bigger.
My understanding is that chin ups and pullups both work the muscles the same but pullups place rthe biceps in an inefficient pulling position which is why chinups seem easier. I don't see any reason to split them at all, doing the one you are stronger in (can do more weight) on back day should be fine. I would recommend more than 1 set though. You don't necessarily need more than 1 working set to failure but warmup sets to get the mind muscle connection for that movement are always needed IMO.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
My understanding is that chin ups and pullups both work the muscles the same but pullups place rthe biceps in an inefficient pulling position which is why chinups seem easier. I don't see any reason to split them at all, doing the one you are stronger in (can do more weight) on back day should be fine. I would recommend more than 1 set though. You don't necessarily need more than 1 working set to failure but warmup sets to get the mind muscle connection for that movement are always needed IMO.
Where did you hear they work the same? I think they focus more on different parts of the back. I always feel chins work the lower Lats more and pull ups do the upper part under the arms. They is for sure a difference, but I understand your point that pick one and do it/or both. Cause both are probably as good for your back

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where did you hear they work the same? I think they focus more on different parts of the back. I always feel chins work the lower Lats more and pull ups do the upper part under the arms. They is for sure a difference, but I understand your point that pick one and do it/or both. Cause both are probably as good for your back
I think it was in one of Pavels books, it's been a while since I read it but it was in "the naked warrior" I believe.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
I think it was in one of Pavels books, it's been a while since I read it but it was in "the naked warrior" I believe.
Ahh ok, I'll have to look into that, would be interesting to see

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
soooo should I do 2 sets of each? I'd still probably have to do them in the morning and then the rest of my workout in the evening. What I was originally thinking was doing pullups for 2 sets on back and chest days in the morning, having a shake and then do the rest of my workout in the evening, then the next day do the samething on my arm day with chinups.

Nicolas

Nicolas

Awards
soooo should I do 2 sets of each? I'd still probably have to do them in the morning and then the rest of my workout in the evening. What I was originally thinking was doing pullups for 2 sets on back and chest days in the morning, having a shake and then do the rest of my workout in the evening, then the next day do the samething on my arm day with chinups.
I've become a big fan of weighted pulls/chins/dips. I typically do 3 sets at the end of my workouts...dependent on which muscle group or groups I'm working that day. I typically construct my workouts around one of the big three per workout. I've seen great growth with weighted movements.

I would say if you have gas in the tank, more than 2 sets would be fine. It seems like you would have sufficient time to rest for your second workout. Hope this helps.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's no reason to, its all about stimulus brother. If you can do 35lb DB curls fresh but after a balls to the wall set of pullups you only do 25lbs for the same reps it will make no difference in muscle/strength gains. You're muscles don't necessarily respond to weight, they respond to tension and maximal tension can ne achieved with any weight. The reason heavier weights are advised is because it is impossible to move a maximal amount of weight without a maximal amount of tension but if all you are physically capable of doing are 25lb DBs due to fatigue it wont matter because it will still require that maximal tension to move it.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've read the majority of his stuff and put a lot of stock into what he has to say where fitness is involved. I especially enjoy his KB work, although I wont personally pay the amount of money required to get RKC certified.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IIRC he actually goes on to say that chinups may very well be the better movement pattern entirely because it allows one to use a more maximal weight due to the mechanics of the motion and will allow for a fuller ROM which could lead to more growth in the arms and back.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
There's no reason to, its all about stimulus brother. If you can do 35lb DB curls fresh but after a balls to the wall set of pullups you only do 25lbs for the same reps it will make no difference in muscle/strength gains. You're muscles don't necessarily respond to weight, they respond to tension and maximal tension can ne achieved with any weight. The reason heavier weights are advised is because it is impossible to move a maximal amount of weight without a maximal amount of tension but if all you are physically capable of doing are 25lb DBs due to fatigue it wont matter because it will still require that maximal tension to move it.
I get what you're saying but my arm day looks like this
pullups 1 set
chinups 1 set
hours later
close grip bench 3 sets
ez bar curl or reverse ez bar curl 3 sets
lying tricep extensions 3 sets
incline db curl 2 set
incline hammer curl 2 sets
bench dips
So I don't think I can do all that right after pullups and chinups because of the volume, if I was just doing ez bars and thats it after chinups and pullups it would be different.

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
^this.its all about the stimulus bro.i get what you're saying.after your pull ups and chin ups you wont be able to hit the weights or reps u need for your biceps.i understand cos I actually I even do more than what you do now.i do deadlifts,weighted chin ups,lat pulldowns and seated cable rows and then barbell curls,incline db curls and hammers and yes i can't use as heavy weights compared to my arms fully recovered from my back workouts but it's not how heavy your biceps can manage to move a weight but how much intensity and tension you provide to your biceps that makes it grow.its not because you feel you can lift a whole lot heavier weight with your biceps when they're not fatigued therefore it's more effective.your muscles do not know how much weight or how many reps it has to move.

musclehead24

Awards
in response...

I think that wieghted pullups are okay although they do put more stress on the shoulder joints and put more tension in your biceps then your back muscles, when i have done them i have done one warmup set of however many i can do and then two working sets with the weight and then one set without the weight without rest right after the last weighted set.

abeckham

abeckham

Awards
I also do back/bi's together and always stars with weighted pull-ups. Three good sets then to barbell rows, etc. by the time I get to arms I'll be nice and pumped so while I won't be able to put up the numbers I would if I did arms first, the biceps get the same amount of work. Like mentioned before, your arms can't tell the numbers on the weights.