Is 1 set of weighted Pullups and 1 set of weighted chinups enough

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Is 1 set of weighted Pullups and 1 set of weighted chinups enough


    I am about to order a pullup bar that I can do weighted pullups and chinups on. Currently I have a doorway pullup bar. What I currently do is 1 set of pullups to failure followed by one set of chinups to failure with just my bodyweight since its a doorway bar. After that I drink a protein shake, afew hours later after I get about two meals in I do the rest of my arm workout then I have another shake. This is the only day I split my workout up over afew hours, because I don't want to have my arms so tired that I can't do curls, which would be the case if I did curls right after pullups. I was wondering when I start doing weighted pullups and chinups, is one set enough and should I do pullups on my chest and back days and do chinups on my arm days? I want my arms to get bigger.

  2. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,637
    Rep Power
    7726995
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.57%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD
    I am about to order a pullup bar that I can do weighted pullups and chinups on. Currently I have a doorway pullup bar. What I currently do is 1 set of pullups to failure followed by one set of chinups to failure with just my bodyweight since its a doorway bar. After that I drink a protein shake, afew hours later after I get about two meals in I do the rest of my arm workout then I have another shake. This is the only day I split my workout up over afew hours, because I don't want to have my arms so tired that I can't do curls, which would be the case if I did curls right after pullups. I was wondering when I start doing weighted pullups and chinups, is one set enough and should I do pullups on my chest and back days and do chinups on my arm days? I want my arms to get bigger.
    My understanding is that chin ups and pullups both work the muscles the same but pullups place rthe biceps in an inefficient pulling position which is why chinups seem easier. I don't see any reason to split them at all, doing the one you are stronger in (can do more weight) on back day should be fine. I would recommend more than 1 set though. You don't necessarily need more than 1 working set to failure but warmup sets to get the mind muscle connection for that movement are always needed IMO.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  3. New Member
    Mitch5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    4426
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    2.31%

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    My understanding is that chin ups and pullups both work the muscles the same but pullups place rthe biceps in an inefficient pulling position which is why chinups seem easier. I don't see any reason to split them at all, doing the one you are stronger in (can do more weight) on back day should be fine. I would recommend more than 1 set though. You don't necessarily need more than 1 working set to failure but warmup sets to get the mind muscle connection for that movement are always needed IMO.
    Where did you hear they work the same? I think they focus more on different parts of the back. I always feel chins work the lower Lats more and pull ups do the upper part under the arms. They is for sure a difference, but I understand your point that pick one and do it/or both. Cause both are probably as good for your back
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,637
    Rep Power
    7726995
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.57%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch5

    Where did you hear they work the same? I think they focus more on different parts of the back. I always feel chins work the lower Lats more and pull ups do the upper part under the arms. They is for sure a difference, but I understand your point that pick one and do it/or both. Cause both are probably as good for your back
    I think it was in one of Pavels books, it's been a while since I read it but it was in "the naked warrior" I believe.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  5. New Member
    Mitch5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    4426
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    2.31%

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    I think it was in one of Pavels books, it's been a while since I read it but it was in "the naked warrior" I believe.
    Ahh ok, I'll have to look into that, would be interesting to see
  6. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    soooo should I do 2 sets of each? I'd still probably have to do them in the morning and then the rest of my workout in the evening. What I was originally thinking was doing pullups for 2 sets on back and chest days in the morning, having a shake and then do the rest of my workout in the evening, then the next day do the samething on my arm day with chinups.
  7. New Member
    Nicolas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    336
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    7.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    soooo should I do 2 sets of each? I'd still probably have to do them in the morning and then the rest of my workout in the evening. What I was originally thinking was doing pullups for 2 sets on back and chest days in the morning, having a shake and then do the rest of my workout in the evening, then the next day do the samething on my arm day with chinups.
    I've become a big fan of weighted pulls/chins/dips. I typically do 3 sets at the end of my workouts...dependent on which muscle group or groups I'm working that day. I typically construct my workouts around one of the big three per workout. I've seen great growth with weighted movements.

    I would say if you have gas in the tank, more than 2 sets would be fine. It seems like you would have sufficient time to rest for your second workout. Hope this helps.
  8. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,637
    Rep Power
    7726995
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.57%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    soooo should I do 2 sets of each? I'd still probably have to do them in the morning and then the rest of my workout in the evening. What I was originally thinking was doing pullups for 2 sets on back and chest days in the morning, having a shake and then do the rest of my workout in the evening, then the next day do the samething on my arm day with chinups.
    There's no reason to, its all about stimulus brother. If you can do 35lb DB curls fresh but after a balls to the wall set of pullups you only do 25lbs for the same reps it will make no difference in muscle/strength gains. You're muscles don't necessarily respond to weight, they respond to tension and maximal tension can ne achieved with any weight. The reason heavier weights are advised is because it is impossible to move a maximal amount of weight without a maximal amount of tension but if all you are physically capable of doing are 25lb DBs due to fatigue it wont matter because it will still require that maximal tension to move it.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  9. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,637
    Rep Power
    7726995
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.57%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
    Ahh ok, I'll have to look into that, would be interesting to see
    I've read the majority of his stuff and put a lot of stock into what he has to say where fitness is involved. I especially enjoy his KB work, although I wont personally pay the amount of money required to get RKC certified.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  10. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,637
    Rep Power
    7726995
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.57%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
    Ahh ok, I'll have to look into that, would be interesting to see
    IIRC he actually goes on to say that chinups may very well be the better movement pattern entirely because it allows one to use a more maximal weight due to the mechanics of the motion and will allow for a fuller ROM which could lead to more growth in the arms and back.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  11. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    There's no reason to, its all about stimulus brother. If you can do 35lb DB curls fresh but after a balls to the wall set of pullups you only do 25lbs for the same reps it will make no difference in muscle/strength gains. You're muscles don't necessarily respond to weight, they respond to tension and maximal tension can ne achieved with any weight. The reason heavier weights are advised is because it is impossible to move a maximal amount of weight without a maximal amount of tension but if all you are physically capable of doing are 25lb DBs due to fatigue it wont matter because it will still require that maximal tension to move it.
    I get what you're saying but my arm day looks like this
    pullups 1 set
    chinups 1 set
    hours later
    close grip bench 3 sets
    ez bar curl or reverse ez bar curl 3 sets
    lying tricep extensions 3 sets
    incline db curl 2 set
    incline hammer curl 2 sets
    bench dips
    So I don't think I can do all that right after pullups and chinups because of the volume, if I was just doing ez bars and thats it after chinups and pullups it would be different.
  12. New Member
    johnathan1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    59.79%

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    There's no reason to, its all about stimulus brother. If you can do 35lb DB curls fresh but after a balls to the wall set of pullups you only do 25lbs for the same reps it will make no difference in muscle/strength gains. You're muscles don't necessarily respond to weight, they respond to tension and maximal tension can ne achieved with any weight. The reason heavier weights are advised is because it is impossible to move a maximal amount of weight without a maximal amount of tension but if all you are physically capable of doing are 25lb DBs due to fatigue it wont matter because it will still require that maximal tension to move it.
    ^this.its all about the stimulus bro.i get what you're saying.after your pull ups and chin ups you wont be able to hit the weights or reps u need for your biceps.i understand cos I actually I even do more than what you do now.i do deadlifts,weighted chin ups,lat pulldowns and seated cable rows and then barbell curls,incline db curls and hammers and yes i can't use as heavy weights compared to my arms fully recovered from my back workouts but it's not how heavy your biceps can manage to move a weight but how much intensity and tension you provide to your biceps that makes it grow.its not because you feel you can lift a whole lot heavier weight with your biceps when they're not fatigued therefore it's more effective.your muscles do not know how much weight or how many reps it has to move.
  13. New Member
    musclehead24's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    71
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    88.83%

    in response...


    I think that wieghted pullups are okay although they do put more stress on the shoulder joints and put more tension in your biceps then your back muscles, when i have done them i have done one warmup set of however many i can do and then two working sets with the weight and then one set without the weight without rest right after the last weighted set.
  14. New Member
    abeckham's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    204
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    85.48%

    I also do back/bi's together and always stars with weighted pull-ups. Three good sets then to barbell rows, etc. by the time I get to arms I'll be nice and pumped so while I won't be able to put up the numbers I would if I did arms first, the biceps get the same amount of work. Like mentioned before, your arms can't tell the numbers on the weights.
  15. New Member
    wrathchild281's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    1997
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    55.14%

    anything is better than nothing.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Discussion of Blood Results and effectiveness of Triptorelin in PCT
    By fueledpassion in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
  2. Videos: squat of 565@130 and bench of 425@148!
    By werner800 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
  3. Dosage of X factor and Stacking of X Factor
    By lax in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 01:50 AM
  4. 6 weeks of 4-ad and 4 of m1t?
    By houseman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
  5. The Sets and Reps of it
    By Gray Fox in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 11:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in