Running SL's 5x5 followed by 5/3/1?

  1. Running SL's 5x5 followed by 5/3/1?


    So I've decided to take this winter to really focus on strength for the first time in my life (I live in maine so we got long ass winters lol) No more bodybuilding routines for awhile.

    I have already started down this road by running the SL's 5x5. Im 6 weeks into it and am loving it. My numbers are shooting up (likely from being sad in the first place) and I planned on following it up by running 5/3/1.

    I know I should take some kind of break/deload in there and dont really want to run them right into eachother and run myself into the ground. The 5x5 has been great but it has been very taxing.

    Any advice on how I can approach this? Just take a week or so off?


  2. What are your numbers like?

    Definitely take a week off before you start the new program.

    Did you lower your numbers and start lighter than you can actually do?

  3. As of today at pretty much the half way point my bench is 205, squat is 245, OHP is 135, and dead is 255.

    I did start lower than I wanted to do I would be able to add weight quickly.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    As of today at pretty much the half way point my bench is 205, squat is 245, OHP is 135, and dead is 255.

    I did start lower than I wanted to do I would be able to add weight quickly.
    I would milk the 5X5 and its variations until the gains dry up and, after that, go to the 5/3/1.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun1 View Post
    I would milk the 5X5 and its variations until the gains dry up and, after that, go to the 5/3/1.
    Yea I plan on running it for another 6 weeks

  6. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Yea I plan on running it for another 6 weeks
    what he means is run it for another 6-24 months or more, not weeks.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

  7. ^^^ This

  8. Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    what he means is run it for another 6-24 months or more, not weeks.
    Ya depending on your weight it sounds like you could benefit from running it long.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Ya depending on your weight it sounds like you could benefit from running it long.
    Okay, I was under the impression I shouldn't run it more than 12 weeks but I guess if it's working why change it up. Makes sense.

    Btw I'm around 160 and the numbers I listed are my 5rm

  10. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Okay, I was under the impression I shouldn't run it more than 12 weeks but I guess if it's working why change it up. Makes sense.

    Btw I'm around 160 and the numbers I listed are my 5rm
    It is one of those programs you can run for a while. Of course a deload wont hurt here and there.

    Those are some good numbers for your size. The squat and deadlift could improve a bit though(compared to bench). Makes a big difference when those are you 5rm and not 1rm haha.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon

    Okay, I was under the impression I shouldn't run it more than 12 weeks but I guess if it's working why change it up. Makes sense.

    Btw I'm around 160 and the numbers I listed are my 5rm
    Yeh 2 months then cycle into high reps to get ur endurance up and give ur joints a break. 5x5 is the ****. But if u drag it out to long u risk injurt
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    It is one of those programs you can run for a while. Of course a deload wont hurt here and there.

    Those are some good numbers for your size. The squat and deadlift could improve a bit though(compared to bench). Makes a big difference when those are you 5rm and not 1rm haha.
    Yea I figured you were assuming 1rm after I read it lol

    I use the word "max" a little loosely as I have not been able to rly max out cause I've been training alone for nearly a year. Was up to 255 on squat but my form was suffering so I dropped it down a little and have been spending a couple weeks trying to perfect my form. Sucks working out alone so the best I can do is record myself with my iPhone and watch it and then see where in lacking.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by murk01 View Post
    Yeh 2 months then cycle into high reps to get ur endurance up and give ur joints a break. 5x5 is the ****. But if u drag it out to long u risk injurt
    Yea I really am falling in love with this style of training but holy **** am I sore sometimes! Lol

  14. I would surely take a week of or deload at 50% before getting into 5/3/1
    Want to handstand like bruce lee?

    ----------> lostartofhandbalancing.com <---------------

  15. I ran 5x5 for 3 months (didn't start with an empty bar...frankly never understood that nonsense. Maybe for OHP, but empty bar deadlifts??)

    Personally I found 5x5 a real drag once I plateaued on the lifts in the 3rd month. However, it set me up nicely to be ready for 5/3/1.

    Been running 5/3/1 for 5 months (with the Tate accessory plan) and just love it. The plan really works great for me, and the weight/rep variations keep it fresh. I also like doing regular weekly 6 sets of Deadlifts. I have really benefitted from those. After 5 months I am still increasing the weight with none of the lifts plateaued.

    I look forward to hearing what you think after you start 5/3/1.

    Cheers,
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
  2. M1T followed by M5aa
    By ricker1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
  3. T1 Pro followed by M1T for cutting
    By mark in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 06:44 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Log in
Log in