Running SL's 5x5 followed by 5/3/1?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
So I've decided to take this winter to really focus on strength for the first time in my life (I live in maine so we got long ass winters lol) No more bodybuilding routines for awhile.

I have already started down this road by running the SL's 5x5. Im 6 weeks into it and am loving it. My numbers are shooting up (likely from being sad in the first place) and I planned on following it up by running 5/3/1.

I know I should take some kind of break/deload in there and dont really want to run them right into eachother and run myself into the ground. The 5x5 has been great but it has been very taxing.

Any advice on how I can approach this? Just take a week or so off?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are your numbers like?

Definitely take a week off before you start the new program.

Did you lower your numbers and start lighter than you can actually do?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
As of today at pretty much the half way point my bench is 205, squat is 245, OHP is 135, and dead is 255.

I did start lower than I wanted to do I would be able to add weight quickly.

leprechaun1

leprechaun1

Awards
As of today at pretty much the half way point my bench is 205, squat is 245, OHP is 135, and dead is 255.

I did start lower than I wanted to do I would be able to add weight quickly.
I would milk the 5X5 and its variations until the gains dry up and, after that, go to the 5/3/1.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I would milk the 5X5 and its variations until the gains dry up and, after that, go to the 5/3/1.
Yea I plan on running it for another 6 weeks

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Ya depending on your weight it sounds like you could benefit from running it long.
Okay, I was under the impression I shouldn't run it more than 12 weeks but I guess if it's working why change it up. Makes sense.

Btw I'm around 160 and the numbers I listed are my 5rm

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, I was under the impression I shouldn't run it more than 12 weeks but I guess if it's working why change it up. Makes sense.

It is one of those programs you can run for a while. Of course a deload wont hurt here and there.

Those are some good numbers for your size. The squat and deadlift could improve a bit though(compared to bench). Makes a big difference when those are you 5rm and not 1rm haha.

murk01

murk01

Awards

Yeh 2 months then cycle into high reps to get ur endurance up and give ur joints a break. 5x5 is the ****. But if u drag it out to long u risk injurt

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
It is one of those programs you can run for a while. Of course a deload wont hurt here and there.

Those are some good numbers for your size. The squat and deadlift could improve a bit though(compared to bench). Makes a big difference when those are you 5rm and not 1rm haha.
Yea I figured you were assuming 1rm after I read it lol

I use the word "max" a little loosely as I have not been able to rly max out cause I've been training alone for nearly a year. Was up to 255 on squat but my form was suffering so I dropped it down a little and have been spending a couple weeks trying to perfect my form. Sucks working out alone so the best I can do is record myself with my iPhone and watch it and then see where in lacking.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Yeh 2 months then cycle into high reps to get ur endurance up and give ur joints a break. 5x5 is the ****. But if u drag it out to long u risk injurt
Yea I really am falling in love with this style of training but holy **** am I sore sometimes! Lol

loganchristop

Awards
I would surely take a week of or deload at 50% before getting into 5/3/1

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
I ran 5x5 for 3 months (didn't start with an empty bar...frankly never understood that nonsense. Maybe for OHP, but empty bar deadlifts??)

Personally I found 5x5 a real drag once I plateaued on the lifts in the 3rd month. However, it set me up nicely to be ready for 5/3/1.

Been running 5/3/1 for 5 months (with the Tate accessory plan) and just love it. The plan really works great for me, and the weight/rep variations keep it fresh. I also like doing regular weekly 6 sets of Deadlifts. I have really benefitted from those. After 5 months I am still increasing the weight with none of the lifts plateaued.

I look forward to hearing what you think after you start 5/3/1.

Cheers,