5/3/1 For Mass. Looking for advice!

aTeam

Awards
Here is a slightly modified version of Wendler's 5/3/1 for mass template I made. I actually added **** which was probably a bad idea and also changed some movements.

I added calves based on Lyle McDonald's suggestions for growing calves. I also added shrugs and power cleans.
I modified DB OHP to be barbell OHP 5x10. My left shoulder used to hurt when I did DB OHP. I injured my left rotator cuff snowboarding years ago, luckily BB OHP is fine.
My gym doesn't have a decent leg press, so I substituted leg press for squat.
I think that is about it... here is the program. Seems like a lot, I think 3800 calories a day should be good. I've been eating 3200 for a few weeks, I'll see where my weight is after a month and probably bump to 3800.

Sunday
• Military press 5/3/1 sets/reps plus one drop set of 10–15 reps
+ Chin-ups 5x5
• Barbell shoulder press 5x10 reps
• Barbell curls 5x10 reps
• Dumbbell rear raise/dumbbell lateral raise (superset) 3x10
• Straight leg calf raise 5X5/3′ rest on a X/1/3/2 tempo
• Bent knee calf raise 3-4X8-10/60-90″ rest on a 2/1/2/2 tempo
• Conditioning

Monday
• Deadlift 5/3/1 sets/reps
• Good morning 4x10 reps
• Bent over rows 4x10 reps
• Abdominal wheel 4x12 reps
• Shrugs 5x12
• Leg curls 4x12 reps
• Conditioning

Wednesday
• Bench press 5/3/1 sets/reps with one drop of 10–15 reps
+ Lat pull-downs 5x12
• Dumbbell bench press 5x10 reps
+ Dumbbell rows 5x12 reps
• Triceps push-downs 100 reps
+ Face pulls 100 reps
• Conditioning

Friday
• Power clean 3/2/1
• Squat 5/3/1 sets/reps plus drop set of 20 reps
• Squat 4x10
• Glute ham raises 4x10
+ Hanging leg raises 4x10
• Straight leg calf raise 5X5/3′ rest on a X/1/3/2 tempo
• Bent knee calf raise 3-4X8-10/60-90″ rest on a 2/1/2/2 tempo
• Conditioning

I'm also hotly debating front squat vs low bar back squat (squat) for the assistance work. I'm pretty bad at front squatting but I would prefer doing that over squatting for 4x10. Because I am substituting out leg press, front squat feels more appropriate but, my squat form isn't as good as I want it to be so extra practice would help (and it's not like squatting isn't a quad exercise anyway.)

I am 6'5 210 for the record.

Thoughts?

boogyman

Awards
I think you have too many accessory sets. I do 3 for each day, and after 2 cycles (8 weeks) I switch one out usually. I would also lose the drop sets. You basically changed the 5-3-1 so much that its no longer a 5-3-1.

One other piece of advice that you may not be able to use depending on your schedule is to split up your conditioning. When I am doing it I lift in the morning and condition in the evening or non lifting days. At the very least cut it from the squat and deadlifting days.You lift the same days I do and I have had success doing HIIT or playing basketball on Sun, Tues and Thurs, taking Sat completely off.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just do the boring but big or Dave tates periodization bible accessory program for 5/3/1

aTeam

Awards
I think you have too many accessory sets. I do 3 for each day, and after 2 cycles (8 weeks) I switch one out usually. I would also lose the drop sets. You basically changed the 5-3-1 so much that its no longer a 5-3-1..
I take it you haven't seen his 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. This is exactly what he lays out except I added some calves, shrugs, and powercleans.

I appreciate the conditioning feedback

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
well as long as you can handle that much volume you may be alright.

i would think you would need more calories. i can eat as much as you, i weigh less, do less volume, and i am not gaining weight.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've forgotten most of what I read in the powerlifting book, so I'll have to get back to you on the details. The thing I picked up immediately is that if you're doing 5/3/1 for powerlifting, you actually switch the first and second week so you do 3/5/1. I'll get back to you with more feedback.

Also, there is no problem adding in calf work.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not how I would organize it (slightly imbalanced between internal/external rotators), but it's still pretty good.

loganchristop

Awards
Now that's what I call massive volume.

I would cut down on the volume...

aTeam

Awards
well as long as you can handle that much volume you may be alright.

i would think you would need more calories. i can eat as much as you, i weigh less, do less volume, and i am not gaining weight.
Yeah you're definitely right. I am noticing no weight gain at these calories. I'm probably gonna bump to 4k.
you actually switch the first and second week so you do 3/5/1.
Also, there is no problem adding in calf work.
I am aware it's 3/5/1 :)
It's not how I would organize it (slightly imbalanced between internal/external rotators), but it's still pretty good.
Can you elaborate more?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can you elaborate more?
It's more focused on internal rotation than external rotations and that can lead to postural issues (e.g. internal rotation of the humerus) and impingements.

aTeam

Awards
Do you have any recommendations? Keep in mind this is mostly how wendler laid it out, his principal being "train like a bodybuilder" (for every push, do a pull). I appreciate the input as posture is important to me, especially as a tall guy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have any recommendations? Keep in mind this is mostly how wendler laid it out, his principal being "train like a bodybuilder" (for every push, do a pull). I appreciate the input as posture is important to me, especially as a tall guy.
There's a bit of a misconception as far as the push/pull thing goes. It really should be internal/external rotation instead as pullups, although a pull, still hit the internal rotators as opposed to the external rotators. I'm by no means saying to not do them as they are a fundamental lift that everyone should do, but balance them out with some extra facepulls or band pullaparts.

aTeam

Awards
I actually do band pullaparts between sets and I'll add more face pulls. Thanks for the help

beautifuljoe

beautifuljoe

Awards
Hey bro. Just something that works for me... During the winter between and after meals I try to squeeze in a 30 g protein shake totaling on average about five a day but not mixed with so much liquid I can't eat my meals. Also I try to circuit train while bulking I dont buy the whole 30 to 90 seconds rest bull**** because a rested ( but not so rested I cool down ) muscle can continue to pick up heavier weight than an exhausted one. Just a thought for you. Google circuit training and good luck. Also I followed routines that were 3 sets of so many reps and so on and made poor gains. Now I never leave without feeling a pump that wants to split my skin. Listen to what your body tells you

aTeam

Awards
Thanks for the input. I usually get enough protein through food but drinking protein shakes with every meal is also something Wendler suggests in his book. I'll check it out, maybe it can keep my workout times down