H.I.T. with weights - fast or slow? High fat or Low fat?

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
Usually with H.I.T. you perform an exercise at the maximum of you ability for a full minute and rest then go again for another minute, for about 20 mins or so until you cant move anymore and you want to die lol

How is this done with weights?

Lower weight than normal, done for a zillion reps in 1 minute
or heavy and REALLY REALLY slow for 1 minute?

Im seeing conflicting information line when it comes to weights :/

I did the weight i normally do for triceps and did this as fast as i could with good form for a minute, it really took it out of me.

Also, what kind of diet for fat loss with Fasting 16 hours? Again Ive heard you need more fat so you learn to burn the fat when fasted otherwise you burn the good stuff.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
My understanding of HIT using weights in only doing one heavy working set a full intensity. The idea being that you only need one set at maximum intensity to stimulate growth; the proponents of this theory believe any additional sets may even have an adverse impact upon muscle growth.

Your body won't turn catabolic if going only 16 hours without food as long as your calories and not too low.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
My understanding of HIT, using weights, is that it entails performing only one heavy working set at full intensity. The idea being that you only need one set at maximum intensity to stimulate growth; the proponents of this theory believe any additional sets may even have an adverse impact upon muscle growth.

Your body won't turn catabolic if going only 16 hours without food as long as your calories and not too low.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are confusing High Intensity Intermittent Training (a form of conditioning) with High Intensity Training (1 or two sets to failure).

Circuit training or complexes can be used in the way you are looking at. Check out Marc McDougals (sp?) "Burn fat like you're on crack" articles for a good template.

Br

rw357

Awards
I do a HIIT using weights, I sometimes puke (I found a way to make Muscle Marinade actually taste worse). I do 15/30 (output/rest) for 48-52 sets (36-39 minutes).

Here are the exercises I do, the order changes by availability, as there is no rest.

Bench x 4
Lever Squat x 6
Deadlifts x 6 (this is the roughest part, if you do them first, the routine will be more painful)
Barbell Rows x 6 (3 pronated, 3 supinated)
Pulldowns x 6 (3 neutral/supinated, 3 wide/pronated)
Shoulder Press x 4
Hamstring Curls x 4
High Delt Rows x 4
Cable Curls x 3
Tricep Pulldowns x 3
Stiff arm pull downs (for upper back, don't know what they are called) x 3
Cable raise thing (I put the attachment on the floor, bend down by the knees, and pull up over my head, kinda like bending down to pick up a child and fully raising him/her over my head) x 3 - great finisher

I do a controlled but fast negative with an explosive contraction, kind of like incorporating speed work into it. I can really feel the difference on the squats when I explode on the positive.

This is completely exhausting.

Last edited:
RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
My understanding of HIT, using weights, is that it entails performing only one heavy working set at full intensity. The idea being that you only need one set at maximum intensity to stimulate growth; the proponents of this theory believe any additional sets may even have an adverse impact upon muscle growth.

so that's so heavy i cant do more than 12 reps for 1 set? 12 really struggling? then move straight on?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
so that's so heavy i cant do more than 12 reps for 1 set? 12 really struggling? then move straight on?
From the routines I've seen its usually less reps, 6 to 8, and a heavier weights.

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
Which is best for fat loss with muscle defs

aLinux

aLinux

Awards
Purchase MIO-like heart monitoring watch. Long as you set the watch up properly and you hit a good percent of your maximum, say, 80%-96% you will be burning all kinds of lard. If you're worried about losing muscle, use a 40-75+ lb weighted vest and you'll reach your maximum faster w/o much muscle loss. If you don't care about muscle loss and just want to burn the most fat you possibly can in little time, never use weights.. just run yor arse off in 2-5min intervals or something. Also, (most importantly) find a macro. website & get yourself a kitchen digi. scale and weigh up the foods you consume. It's allot easier than it sounds and as a bonus you'll surprise yourself on the many foods you eat that are nutrient dense vs. junk.

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
I did the extra slow movements HIT last night, really enjoyed it, i was shaking all over at the end, like going for failure each set of normal weights.
weird how you cant pick up a weight anymore and it gets heavier by the second :)