abs - a little confusion

v1rt

Awards
I met someone at the gym early this year. He gave me tips on different exercises. For abs though, he told me not to work on it. He told me that I should work on my diet and fats around it will just melt. He told me that if I exercise my abs a lot, it will get bigger(protruding).

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
diet for abs, I think it's good to lift 4-8sets once a week to keep things tight and have a solid core, but unless you're aiming at competing no real need to train them. They will be there when you cut bodyfat low enough.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
he was basically right although with a couple of caveats. diet is what will have abs show or not show. how thick and heavy they are will depend on how much they are worked. With thicker/heavier ab muscles you will still show abs at 1-2% higher bodyfat, but your overall waistline can end up being an inch or maybe more bigger

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
he was basically right although with a couple of caveats. diet is what will have abs show or not show. how thick and heavy they are will depend on how much they are worked. With thicker/heavier ab muscles you will still show abs at 1-2% higher bodyfat, but your overall waistline can end up being an inch or maybe more bigger
It also depends upon your goal. Training your abs/core is essential for those in strength-specific sports. This is because you need great abdominal strength to maintaining a neutral spine while pulling, squatting, or pressing heavy loads over your head. If you're training for aesthetics, this may not be as essential.

Basically, training your abs can strengthen and bulk the abdominal muscles up. However, whether or not you can see the muscles is dependent on your degree of leanness, which is dependent on your diet.

v1rt

Awards
Cool folks! All the things you wrote is the same thing he told me. Abs are made in the kitchen. :)

boogyman

Awards
I do about 6 sets of abs a week. I also do vacuum holds a couple nights a week and have noticed a "trimming" effect from these.

v1rt

Awards
vacuum? how is it done? do you suck in your stomach for this exercise?

boogyman

Awards
Basically. I lie in bed, and suck my stomach toward my spine. Start with 5 second holds and work towards 20 or more. Google it, i am sure you can find a better explanation of how to do them.

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
^there was an article about this.try too look back at some articles posted at the news feed before this

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
IF yur going to work everything else, or do any exercise that requires a strong core/spine for proper from then you are potentially putting yourself at risk by not working the core. Of course, many people do not DIRECTY hit their cores with training, but do it through much heavier, indirect training which is also ok.

Do exercises that isolate body parts and not enough compound will mean you need to hit the core directly or risk injury.