How many

Shoota

Awards
What do you guys think is a sufficient amount of exercises/sets for size/strength for the following: (without overtraining)

Chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think is a sufficient amount of exercises/sets for size/strength for the following: (without overtraining)

Chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms
dont train body parts, train movements!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms
This question (which occurs about once to twice a month here) is similar to asking: which girl is hotter, Emily or Keri?

And then not providing a picture, or even measurements and hair/eye color.

Br

wrathchild281

Awards
simple answer. legs back chest and shoulders 4-5 excercises no more. Bis and tris 3 exc. each no more

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Kinda depends on what you're going for. For general purposes, wrath made a solid recommendation.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I read these posts as "how do I design a program" which lacks answers on the forums in general. How do you decide on weight progression, sets, reps, sequence, which movements helps which lifts, how to improve on existing program etc.

There is no fits all answer, but there are some good tips that can be shared on programming.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
dont train body parts, train movements!
This saying doesn't make any sense. Training body parts is training movements just described differently. Its all the same when you use a balanced program with groundings in kinesiology.

Chest - Horizontal shoulder flexion, Shoulder flexion, Elbow extension
Back - Horizontal shoulder extension, Shoulder extension, elbow flexion
Legs - Hip extension, Hip Flexion, Hip (ab)adduction, Internal/external rotation, knee ext/flx
so on and so forth

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This saying doesn't make any sense. Training body parts is training movements just described differently. Its all the same when you use a balanced program with groundings in kinesiology.

Legs - Hip extension, Hip Flexion, Hip (ab)adduction, Internal/external rotation, knee ext/flx
so on and so forth
I think he was referring to 'body parts' as isolation exercises and 'movements' as compounds.

Just to clear it up, you don't mean that solely performing elbow extension builds the chest right? ;)

wrathchild281

Awards
What I said is a simple but an effective general range. If u dispute that please inform m what's a better total excersise per muscle. I list 3 excersises tops for each biceps and triceps. If ur doing 5 biceps for example ur probably coasting through with low intensity and or ur not effectively hiting the muscle effectively. More isn't better u can reach muscle hypertrophy in the bi's with 3 effective excercises. 5 or more is an effective general range for a lifter asking for basic workout knowledge. Now if ur stating 3 is too much on the other hand fir biceps let us know of a good general total excersise range as that's all I did..

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

so on and so forth
You're debating semantics now.

A lot of strength coaches discuss training movements vs. muscles.

I think its a way to get the mind set off the typical chest/shoulders/etc. bodybuilding rhetoric and more into thinking about a balanced program. Think about the disproportionate amount of upperbody AKC work with your typical bodybuilding routine.......

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I think he was referring to 'body parts' as isolation exercises and 'movements' as compounds.

Just to clear it up, you don't mean that solely performing elbow extension builds the chest right? ;)
Isolation vs compound wouldn't be movements they would be exercises. A squat isn't a movement it's an exercise, a bicep curl isn't a movement it's an exercise. Hip and knee extension are movements, elbow flexion is a movement.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
You're debating semantics now.

A lot of strength coaches discuss training movements vs. muscles.

I think its a way to get the mind set off the typical chest/shoulders/etc. bodybuilding rhetoric and more into thinking about a balanced program. Think about the disproportionate amount of upperbody AKC work with your typical bodybuilding routine.......
Not debating anything just making a statement. It may be a result of semantics but when the understanding of why it is related semantics, as you and I posses, is not there it becomes a different issue. Muscles create movement, so why is thinking that I'm training chest today to complete horizontal shoulder extension wrong and being demonized by the statement "train movements not muscles"? Really your training movements no matter what unbalanced programs, balanced program, strength training, metabolic effect training it's all movement just applied differently. I understand your point on how bodybuilding programs are unbalanced most often, but thats not as a result of training "muscles over movements" its as a result of lack of knowledge. The same unbalanced nature can occur in a program of someone who thinks they're training movements because they are doing squats and deads and not training quads or hams. To associate programs with muscles in mind as inferior is what doesn't make sense especially when, as i stated, they are balanced and grounded in kinesiology. Also, from what I've seen when movements are referred to on here it's associated with compound exercises over isolation exercises which also makes no sense. Squats, deads, etc. are not movements they're exercises, the movement is the hip extension, knee extension not the squat or dead.