Workout/ nutrition routine - Nigtshift

xxSPARTACUSxx

Awards
I'm just about to get back into exercising and weightlifting again but work through the night. My question to anyone out there that can help is what would you recommend regarding best time to consume meals and exercise, as my sleep patterns can be up and down...
I'm trying to tone up so any help be appreciated..

appafella

Awards
Look into intermittent fasting. Makes getting in your calories easier, especially on the graveyard shift. Get all your calories in the evenings before work and you will be able to maintain this even on your days off. Workout fasted in the mornings after shift. This is just my experience, do what you got to do to make it work.

manystyles

Awards
I work midnight shift and use IF. Typically, I fast from 11am-3am. I workout right after work and my smaller meals are before workouts and bigger meals are after.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did graveyard shift on the ambulance for a while. I always worked out before work. After 12 hours of work rocking a hard workout was tough and the energy from the workout woke me right up : )

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I agree with Valdez, working out before work was always better when I was on nights. Sleep is one thing you should be careful about, I always found it could be hard to get enough sleep working nights and your body needs it for recovery.

Exian

Exian

Awards
Hey man I hear you. I work 7p-7a in the trauma ICU at a level 1 center. My work is high intensity and at times extremely stressful. It's hard there is no doubt about it. I'm trying to build and i find the best time for me to work out is right before my shift. If I work out after I drink lots of water so I pee while I'm trying to sleep, and sleeping through the day is hard enough. So I wake up and eat a small meal and protein shake, them hit the gym for 2 hrs, eat a large meal- then goto work and usually bring a big meal with me or pick something up there. It sucks working nights man. It's like a permanent state of tiredness. Good luck though

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lifting @ night is tough sometimes.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
IF along with Pre-ex 3x routines, have been the greatest thing for me, since the invention of whey protein :)

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
I recommend intermittent fasting 100% im finishing up my shift now. Ill be going to sleep soon ill wake up mid day eat small meal workout drink shake post workout do what i gotta do eat a feast at around seven rinse and repeat. Im leaning down just fine. Its possible.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I recommend intermittent fasting 100% im finishing up my shift now. Ill be going to sleep soon ill wake up mid day eat small meal workout drink shake post workout do what i gotta do eat a feast at around seven rinse and repeat. Im leaning down just fine. Its possible.
Doing IF/low carb right now(16/8), on week 3 and down 6lbs so far barely doing any cardio. Pretty awesome, I'm very impressed with IF results so far.

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
Doing IF/low carb right now(16/8), on week 3 and down 6lbs so far barely doing any cardio. Pretty awesome, I'm very impressed with IF results so far.
Pretty awesome right? And the mental clarity/ energy is very REAL