How often Should I train Biceps?

BMStricklin

BMStricklin

Awards
Hey guys, I am currently running a program that has me Isolating Bi' one day a week. I feel they are the body part I would like to make the most improvement in size. I am in my 3rd week of an AlphaMass/AlphaBulk cycle and would wanna make the most of this and wanted to know how many days a week would I be able to Bicep train before it becomes overworking them?
My Current program schedule:
Monday Chest tri's calves
Tues Back Bi's abs
Wed Rest
Thurs Shoulders Traps calves
Fri Legs abs
Sat Rest
Sun Rest

Could I go 3 days a week or would 2 be the most?

STLJones

STLJones

Awards
I have been working out for about 3 years and am still attempting to make the optimal routine to maximize growth in my arms. It is a tough procedure and honestly varies from person to person since nearly everyone's arm workout varies.

What I have found best for myself is working out bis and tris every 3 days. Bis, tris, off, bis, tris, off. And with my 5 day splits on back, chest, legs, shoulders, etc. you wont have a stagnant routine.

When working arms, I never go for a certain amount of reps. I do try to keep them between 12 and 20 but what youre looking for is a solid pump. And your bicep routine shouldnt exceed 35 minutes. If it does, youre taking too long between sets or exercises. Try out super sets and drop sets. They work wonders for the arms.

Another thing is make sure you arent going too heavy to the point where you are sacrificing form. I always try to keep my arms parallel to my body (and sometimes pulled a little bit behind my side) and my hands shoulder length apart. But the key I have found out is really limit the time between sets to 30-45 seconds and do alot of drop sets and super sets.

Try it out and let me know if you like it!

STLJones

STLJones

Awards
Oh yea, and incline dumbbell curls will give you an awesome pump! Try it out and really flex and pinch the muscle at the top of the curl!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Whats the extent of your routine on them and are you doing heavy compounds on your back day? How long have you been training, where are your arms at now?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm assuming you know well developed triceps can contribute significantly to arm size, so I'm not going to hammer that statement right now.

Food for thought, but if you're looking for bigger arm size specifically moreso than a "bigger bicep," the brachialis contributes to "bicep size" more than the actual bicep muscle. The bicep muscle is actually really, incredibly tiny. To work that part, use EZ bar preachers and hammer curls in your routine.

For a truly better assessment, however, you'd need to provide the info NYiron is asking.

BMStricklin

BMStricklin

Awards
Whats the extent of your routine on them and are you doing heavy compounds on your back day? How long have you been training, where are your arms at now?
Sorry it took so long to get back to this, these last few days have been hectic.

I just completed Stoppani's 12 week Shortcut to size. Rep Ranges varied from week to week starting from high rep low weight to low rep high weight.
Back days typically consisted of:
One Arm Dumbbell Rows 4x10
Wide Grip Lat Pull down 3x10
Reverse Grip Pull Down 3x10
Low Cable Rows 3x10

I also try to throw some Pull ups in there as well but I am still sorta heavy and these are VERY hard to do more than a few.
Dead lifts were grouped with Leg days, but I do not like the idea of Squatting and DL'ing the same day. For the bulk of this program I was working out at Planet Fitness (yes I know, I know lol) and was not fond of the motion of Deads on a smith machine. I have recently switched over to a "power lifting" gym, which has a ton more free weights and heavier DBs. As far as the Bicep workout I tend the do:

EZ Bar Curls 4x10
Incline Curls 3x10
Concentration Curls 3x10
Cross Body Hammer Curls 3x10
Preacher Machine* 1xfailure

I dont like the Preacher machine, but at this new gym I will be able to pick up more sets if it would help.

Background info.. At the beginning of the year I was very heavy and lost 55lbs to a semi decent size and decided it was time to bulk up before I lost too much BF and looked super skinny. I have only been lifting seriously for about 4 months. I have seen my Newbie gains everywhere but in my "bicep region" as my Tris have even started standing out more. My Bi's are definitely harder and look bigger when flexed, but look very unbuilt at rest position. It is just a little aggrevating due to the fact that my chest is getting thicker, shoulders rounder, back wider and filling out my shirts to be semi tight, but yet my arms feel like they dont come close to filling the sleeve.. lol If that makes sense.. When my workout pump is there my arm feels "wider" but never feels "taller." I think part of the problem I am having is the upper bicep has no height to it when not flexed. Would that come with doing exercises that work on the peak like a preachers?

boogyman

Awards
I do barbell curls, hammer curls or drag curls (I do each for a month or 2 then switch to the other), for 3 sets of 8. That along with whatever pullup variation and rows are the extent of my biceps workout.

Fierstos

Awards
Sorry it took so long to get back to this, these last few days have been hectic.

I just completed Stoppani's 12 week Shortcut to size. Rep Ranges varied from week to week starting from high rep low weight to low rep high weight.
Low Cable Rows 3x10

I also try to throw some Pull ups in there as well but I am still sorta heavy and these are VERY hard to do more than a few.
Dead lifts were grouped with Leg days, but I do not like the idea of Squatting and DL'ing the same day. For the bulk of this program I was working out at Planet Fitness (yes I know, I know lol) and was not fond of the motion of Deads on a smith machine. I have recently switched over to a "power lifting" gym, which has a ton more free weights and heavier DBs. As far as the Bicep workout I tend the do:

EZ Bar Curls 4x10
Incline Curls 3x10
Concentration Curls 3x10

I dont like the Preacher machine, but at this new gym I will be able to pick up more sets if it would help.

Background info.. At the beginning of the year I was very heavy and lost 55lbs to a semi decent size and decided it was time to bulk up before I lost too much BF and looked super skinny. I have only been lifting seriously for about 4 months. I have seen my Newbie gains everywhere but in my "bicep region" as my Tris have even started standing out more. My Bi's are definitely harder and look bigger when flexed, but look very unbuilt at rest position. It is just a little aggrevating due to the fact that my chest is getting thicker, shoulders rounder, back wider and filling out my shirts to be semi tight, but yet my arms feel like they dont come close to filling the sleeve.. lol If that makes sense.. When my workout pump is there my arm feels "wider" but never feels "taller." I think part of the problem I am having is the upper bicep has no height to it when not flexed. Would that come with doing exercises that work on the peak like a preachers?
Try barbell c

Fierstos

Awards

Low Cable Rows 3x10

EZ Bar Curls 4x10
Incline Curls 3x10
Concentration Curls 3x10

Try barbell curls....arms shoulder width and elbows tight to your side....use 202 tempo 8-10 reps drop set

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established

Low Cable Rows 3x10

EZ Bar Curls 4x10
Incline Curls 3x10
Concentration Curls 3x10

Your so new to lifting, patients, they'll come these things don't happen over night. I wouldn't worry to much about the details like peaks or width, yet. IMO, if you train your pulling motions heavy enough you'll only have to do very little supplementary bicep isolation work. It was also earlier stated about the importance of tricep mass to the aesthetic of arms, this is great advice. Keep your compounds heavy, use straps sparingly or not at all and toss in some isolations done higher reps with very little rest periods. Check out FST-7 for a metabolic effect protocol, you may find it interesting/useful.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
For me, I saw the greatest gains on my arms when I got serious about training back very heavy. The biceps are under so much tension during heavy rows and chins/pull-ups that, in my opinion, they don't need more than 4-8 sets of isolation work.

Build a bigger back and your guns will follow. And as Toro said, the brachialis and triceps are a big part of arm size.

bono1132

bono1132

Awards
I tend to do 3 motions 2x a week, 1 time use bars and cables the next just dumb bells plus with heavy back and shoulders you'll tear them up! Mix up grip on bars outer part of bar works inner part of bicep and vice versa, make sure your getting reverse grip stuff in for sure! Also every couple weeks do 21 s!! Also suppinate(sp?) Your wrists will help brachiallis and bicep peak

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
To be honest I feel you need to effectively train the 3 main parts; both heads and Tricep to get big muscles in your arms. Most ppl tend to focus on the short head. Which is in fact smaller then the other 2

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would train them lightly on Tuesday with back, heavily on Thursday or Friday, and then again Sunday.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
To be honest I feel you need to effectively train the 3 main parts; both heads and Tricep to get big muscles in your arms. Most ppl tend to focus on the short head. Which is in fact smaller then the other 2
I think for the OP, especially (training seriously for 4 months), to think in terms of what muscle head is being trained is going to be a bit much and may be unnecessary. As long as during biceps brachii isolation he includes movements done in GH extension and GH flexion (ie. Incline Curls and Preacher Curls, respectively) he will cover his necessary requirements as to long vs short head stimulation. Also, the difference in activation regarding GH orientation while statistically significant isn't necessarily going to make or break biceps brachii hypertrophic response. I do agree though, with you, on terms of varying the angle at which the OP attacks his stimulation. To think in terms of the heads he is stimulating as a result is over thinking it, it is not as if the two heads function differs vastly.

BMStricklin

BMStricklin

Awards
Thanks for all the responses guys. My knowledge is growing every day on things, and as I did know about the heads of the Bicep and the 3 of the Tri, I was unaware of how MUCH the Brachialis effects the peak.

As far as Tris I do alot of Skull's and Close grip Benching with some overhead rope extensions and press downs for the pump. I have noticed ALOT of size coming into my triceps, it was the lack of pertrusion from the bicep that was bothersome. Looks like I have a few things to change up in my routine. I plan on hitting Biceps with back on tuesdays and then adding in some extra isolation stuff again on fridays to avoid overworking. I started yesterday with the higher reps: 3 sets of 15 reps on Drag, Incline, and Preacher curls.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm assuming you know well developed triceps can contribute significantly to arm size, so I'm not going to hammer that statement right now.

Food for thought, but if you're looking for bigger arm size specifically moreso than a "bigger bicep," the brachialis contributes to "bicep size" more than the actual bicep muscle. The bicep muscle is actually really, incredibly tiny. To work that part, use EZ bar preachers and hammer curls in your routine.

For a truly better assessment, however, you'd need to provide the info NYiron is asking.
How's that saying bis for the eyes, tris for size...

NoLimitz

Awards
I train Chest/Bis once a week, Biceps get sore. and i also train Back/Triceps. And biceps get worked with this as well