Is using the leg press machine an alternative to doing squats?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. You can try box jumps as well to help strengthen that knee. Should help a lot.
    If you don't have knee wraps, I'd get some as well.

2. Squats are my favorite part exercise however since my injury I've been trying different exercises as well that might be able to give me as close to the same workout that I previously had with squats.

A couple that I have enjoyed so far have been ground plane squats, weighted forward runners lunges and a lighter weight power clean. Of the three the power clean is the closest for to achieving the same type of muscle exhaustion that I also have when doing tradional free squats.
    CTD Labs Product Ambassador/Board Rep
    5% off CTD Labs products at NutraPlanet use code -
    CTDNP5
    •   

3. Squats are a staple movement for legs and to be honest, can't be "duplicated" with any machine. I had knee problems (football injury) myself. How do u get through it?... Swallow you ego. Drop the weight, and focus on form and proper muscle contraction.

Hack squats are nice, but not a replacement. Same with leg press. I train legs twice a week, and the back squat is part of both workouts. I do use machine leg press (hate unloading hundreds of pounds of free weights, it's pointless) close stance 4-6" apart and go for high concentrated reps (20-25ish) supperset with 45 degree walking lunges. To burn them out afterI squat. (It works for me, my outer sweep has really been taking shape)

Smith machines train bad form. In order to get anything positive out of smith machine squats is to have a solid base foundation in a free squat first. You will know when your form is not right while in a smith rack that way. I only use a smith machine squat for close stance box squats (simply because of balance) maybe once every few weeks to switch it up.

4. Quote Originally Posted by busaboy79 View Post
    Squats are a staple movement for legs and to be honest, can't be "duplicated" with any machine. I had knee problems (football injury) myself. How do u get through it?... Swallow you ego. Drop the weight, and focus on form and proper muscle contraction.

Hack squats are nice, but not a replacement. Same with leg press. I train legs twice a week, and the back squat is part of both workouts. I do use machine leg press (hate unloading hundreds of pounds of free weights, it's pointless) close stance 4-6" apart and go for high concentrated reps (20-25ish) supperset with 45 degree walking lunges. To burn them out afterI squat. (It works for me, my outer sweep has really been taking shape)

Smith machines train bad form. In order to get anything positive out of smith machine squats is to have a solid base foundation in a free squat first. You will know when your form is not right while in a smith rack that way. I only use a smith machine squat for close stance box squats (simply because of balance) maybe once every few weeks to switch it up.
    Really I've had plenty of people I've tried helping get back in shape tell me about their knees and what the doctor says about squats and not doing them... if you can sit down on the couch or sit on the toilet you are squating... not saying you can hit 300 pounds but still the mechanics are they there at least just toss pvc on your back and do bodyweight

5. Been there too. After I had my MCL and meniscus torn Dr.s told me to forget about powerlifting all together. An I did... For a little while. And even when I got back into it down the road, I still had problems. But baby steps is what it took to overcome it. I did a lot of stability exercises on a bosu ball and balancing exercises with plyometrics at first to prepare my lower body to be able to handle squatting or deadlifting again. And honestly, since then, no real issues. The only time issues get in the way now is when I would lose proper form due to over exertion, or just lack of focus. Sometimes it's just knowing what is pushing your limits and what is beyond your limits and not letting your ego walk in front of that reality.

Everyone is free to do what they want. But if I listened to the doctor back then, I would never be where I am today. Most doctors are going to tell you the safest and sure fire way of preventing pain or injury, and most of the time it's gonna be... Well stop doing it. Which is true, If something causes you pain, stop. Plain and simple. But if it's your technique that is the problem, you can't blame the exercise. Maybe it's a flexibility issue, maybe it's a physical disability, whatever it is there are ways to work around that.

But it's all about baby steps and proper warm up /stretching as well. Don't jump into a squat rack, load it with 400lbs and expect to knock out 10-12 reps an not think your body is going to react negatively to the stress, because more than likely it will.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by busaboy79 View Post
    Squats are a staple movement for legs and to be honest, can't be "duplicated" with any machine. I had knee problems (football injury) myself. How do u get through it?... Swallow you ego. Drop the weight, and focus on form and proper muscle contraction.

The close stance squats with forward lunges in my circuit are exactly what I use as well now after my hernia surgery. Could not recommend that approach more
    CTD Labs Product Ambassador/Board Rep
    5% off CTD Labs products at NutraPlanet use code -
    CTDNP5

7. I like the leg press for days when my back is feeling out of whack but nothing can truly replace the squat
    The Swole Stoner

8. Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I like the leg press for days when my back is feeling out of whack but nothing can truly replace the squat
    the leg press applies more harmful forces to the spine than the squat. so you may want to rethink that exercise choice.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. ooking for an alternative to stanoplex
    By gabe9615 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 02:26 PM
  3. I need an alternative to white flood, what to try?
    By fst89lx in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
  5. An alternative to storing powders??
    By enzo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 02:04 AM