Review my weight training routine..

benjwg

Awards
Hi,

I currently 204/205 LB... Approx 15% BF... Eating 1k Cal above maint.

I wanna stop doing splits to save time and build over all mass better... Splits really dont do much for me.

I planned my new routine as below. 3x a week.

Bent over rows - 8x4
Bench Press - 8x4
Upright Rows - 8x4
Curl / Hammer Curl - 10x3
Skull Crusher - 10 x 3

I know to obviously vary it up a little but thats my general plan.

Some days will replace some exercises with Arnold press, Dips, Lat pulldown.... but main routine is above.

Let me know what you think please (havent included legs as I will still be having a leg day... Now and then :p)

boogyman

Awards
Hi,

I currently 204/205 LB... Approx 15% BF... Eating 1k Cal above maint.

I wanna stop doing splits to save time and build over all mass better... Splits really dont do much for me.

I planned my new routine as below. 3x a week.

Bent over rows - 8x4
Bench Press - 8x4
Upright Rows - 8x4
Curl / Hammer Curl - 10x3
Skull Crusher - 10 x 3

I know to obviously vary it up a little but thats my general plan.

Some days will replace some exercises with Arnold press, Dips, Lat pulldown.... but main routine is above.

Let me know what you think please (havent included legs as I will still be having a leg day... Now and then :p)

Do legs more than "now and then" if you really want to build mass.

jlpurkey

Awards
ive had better luck doing a four day routine
monday-upper body,bench, bent rows,incline db's,pullups and some bicep and triceps
tuesday-squat,stiff legged dl,curls and extensions,calves
thursday-upperbody repeat
friday- lowerbody repeat
thats just a rough sketch of mine, of course i do abs and other things etc...change it up after 4 or 5 weeks
if you want to save time i have had really good results with supersets. so super set bench with bent rows etc. im never in the gym longer than 45min-1hour

benjwg

Awards
Nah, my legs are huge due to rugby... I get a hardcore leg workout during training/matches ... probably twice a week. I get better pumps during that than after a session in the gym.

As for the upper body - does the routine look OK?

I want more upper body mass, i'm fine with legs as it stands... (No pun intended)

benjwg

Awards
ive had better luck doing a four day routine
monday-upper body,bench, bent rows,incline db's,pullups and some bicep and triceps
tuesday-squat,stiff legged dl,curls and extensions,calves
thursday-upperbody repeat
friday- lowerbody repeat
thats just a rough sketch of mine, of course i do abs and other things etc...change it up after 4 or 5 weeks
if you want to save time i have had really good results with supersets. so super set bench with bent rows etc. im never in the gym longer than 45min-1hour
Sounds good to me but will be doing upper 3x lower maybe 1x

Thanks for ideas.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
its terrible. please, for your own sake get on a proven program. do it for at least 6 months. then try another one if you want. but follow whichever one you want exactly as written. if what you are posting is any sign of your capacity to design a program then there is a lot to learn. and there is no shame in that. even the greats are still learning.

if you really want to be a bodybuilder try this:
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one
there are plenty of great routines.

if you to train as an athlete and get bigger try a 5x5 program (madcow, texas method, bill star) or 5/3/1 with the boring but big accessories.

boogyman

Awards
Nah, my legs are huge due to rugby... I get a hardcore leg workout during training/matches ... probably twice a week. I get better pumps during that than after a session in the gym.

I want more upper body mass, i'm fine with legs as it stands... (No pun intended)
Upper body will grow better if you do lower body movements. Good chance a bunch of people come in this thread and probably tell you the same thing, because its just the way it is.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Every athlete will still benefit from leg training as it helps to correct imbalances and increase both dynamic and maximal strength.

Upper body will grow better if you do lower body movements. Good chance a bunch of people come in this thread and probably tell you the same thing, because its just the way it is.
While I agree with the sentiment of training legs, this saying is annoying and based on nothing.

boogyman

Awards
Every athlete will still benefit from leg training as it helps to correct imbalances and increase both dynamic and maximal strength.

While I agree with the sentiment of training legs, this saying is annoying and based on nothing.
I was under the assumption that the working bigger muscle groups will cause more growth hormone release. Maybe this is outdated thinking and if its wrong I appologize. I still think there is something to this, as I get my best strength increases and mass gains if I am working my lower body. When I was younger I rarely worked legs and my upper body strength would stagnate. Now that I work my lower body equally my strength and mass gains are greater and consistant, even on upper body movements.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was under the assumption that the working bigger muscle groups will cause more growth hormone release. Maybe this is outdated thinking and if its wrong I appologize. I still think there is something to this, as I get my best strength increases and mass gains if I am working my lower body. When I was younger I rarely worked legs and my upper body strength would stagnate. Now that I work my lower body equally my strength and mass gains are greater and consistant, even on upper body movements.
The whole GH/test increase is overblown. While there is an acute increase, it is far too short to make any difference.

benjwg

Awards
its terrible. please, for your own sake get on a proven program. do it for at least 6 months. then try another one if you want. but follow whichever one you want exactly as written. if what you are posting is any sign of your capacity to design a program then there is a lot to learn. and there is no shame in that. even the greats are still learning.

if you really want to be a bodybuilder try this:
tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one
there are plenty of great routines.

if you to train as an athlete and get bigger try a 5x5 program (madcow, texas method, bill star) or 5/3/1 with the boring but big accessories.
If i want to be a bodybuilder ? I am.

I did say I dont want to do splits any more.... so not doing the routine on the post you linked me.

I want 3x sessions a week full upper body workouts.

Your telling me to learn but only tell me my planned routine is terrible without any reason... Why is it terrible? How could it be improved? What does it not do that I will want it to do?

I do like the 5x5 program but it leaves me feeling like I havent done enough which is why I aim for 8.

I cant do 5,3,1 unless I have a spotter which isn't too often.

My logic for my plan was bench, skulls, curls for my tri's
Bench, Upright rows, bent over rows for chest, shoulders, back and slightly biceps.
Curls - more for biceps.
Arnold Press - More for shoulders

Please explain why this isnt a full upper body workout and why it wont do what I want it to?

I figured hitting the same muscle groups twice in a session with mainly compound lifts would be fine, why wouldnt it be?

Browsing the internet the routine I planned looked similar to Peters on sixpackfactory.com/killer-full-upper-body-workout-chest-back-triceps-shoulders-biceps/

Only difference is he is doing side lateral raise where I am suggesting upright row and the bent over tricep extension he does I replaced with skull crushers.

Exercises that seem to work very similar muscle groups.

Thanks for any more input.

boogyman

Awards

I did say I dont want to do splits any more.... so not doing the routine on the post you linked me.

Your telling me to learn but only tell me my planned routine is terrible without any reason... Why is it terrible? How could it be improved? What does it not do that I will want it to do?

I do like the 5x5 program but it leaves me feeling like I havent done enough which is why I aim for 8.

Bench, Upright rows, bent over rows for chest, shoulders, back and slightly biceps.
Curls - more for biceps.

Please explain why this isnt a full upper body workout and why it wont do what I want it to?

I figured hitting the same muscle groups twice in a session with mainly compound lifts would be fine, why wouldnt it be?

Browsing the internet the routine I planned looked similar to Peters on sixpackfactory.com/killer-full-upper-body-workout-chest-back-triceps-shoulders-biceps/

Only difference is he is doing side lateral raise where I am suggesting upright row and the bent over tricep extension he does I replaced with skull crushers.

A lot of people have had good results following the madcow 5x5, but using 4x8 set/rep scheme.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Curls - more for biceps.

No, you're not a BB'er as your plan ignores legs and has no real rhyme or reason to it. You just threw a handful of lifts together and are hoping for the best.

benjwg

Awards
No, you're not a BB'er as your plan ignores legs and has no real rhyme or reason to it. You just threw a handful of lifts together and are hoping for the best.
I explained my reason to it... still no reason why it wouldnt work.... maybe give 1 reason why it wont please? you really arnt helping.

Im not a BBer because Im trying to even my upper body out in comparison to my legs? yah that makes sense.

I already stated I do legs once a week along with my sport using more power in my legs than any other... Why would i want to do this more when my leg muscles are practically out of proportion with my upper body as my lower is bigger/ stronger...

benjwg

Awards
A lot of people have had good results following the madcow 5x5, but using 4x8 set/rep scheme.
I dont doubt you at all on this.

My understanding is the 5x5 is

Day 1 - squat, bench, row.

Day 2 - Squat, Military press, Deadlifts

Day 3 Squat, bench, row.

Is that right?

Thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I explained my reason to it... still no reason why it wouldnt work.... maybe give 1 reason why it wont please? you really arnt helping.

Im not a BBer because Im trying to even my upper body out in comparison to my legs? yah that makes sense.

I already stated I do legs once a week along with my sport using more power in my legs than any other... Why would i want to do this more when my leg muscles are practically out of proportion with my upper body as my lower is bigger/ stronger...
The reason it will have limited success is the lack of variety and that the "program" lacks any real sense of progression or overload. The body will adapt to relatively quickly to a very basic and lackluster routine like this.

Also, the workout from a game of rugby is nowhere near a structured leg workout not to mention the fact that there is limited hamstring and glute involvement. Unless your vastus medialis is drooping over your patella, you still need to train your legs.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

While I agree with the sentiment of training legs, this saying is annoying and based on nothing
There's a couple articles on JSCR that show increased upper body gains in full body training vs. upper body only. I've looked, can't find the ones I'm referencing, and am sick of looking.

Granted, they were in subjects (IIRC) with very low training levels. So that may have some impact.

As for the GH/Test response. Kraemer showed that the acute response declines after 6-8 weeks of training in trained subjects. I'm not sure how (or if) they periodized the program, but they concluded that the importance put on the response is overblown at least in trained subjects.

As to how the lower body training benefits the upper. In the case of untrained who see a huge response in test, there are more androgen receptors in the upper body, and as such, that may lead to it. It could also be case of improved CNS function with compound lower body training.

Or, more likely, the improvements in the core musculature with lower body training results in an improvement in force production by the upper.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's a couple articles on JSCR that show increased upper body gains in full body training vs. upper body only. I've looked, can't find the ones I'm referencing, and am sick of looking.

Granted, they were in subjects (IIRC) with very low training levels. So that may have some impact.

As for the GH/Test response. Kraemer showed that the acute response declines after 6-8 weeks of training in trained subjects. I'm not sure how (or if) they periodized the program, but they concluded that the importance put on the response is overblown at least in trained subjects.

As to how the lower body training benefits the upper. In the case of untrained who see a huge response in test, there are more androgen receptors in the upper body, and as such, that may lead to it. It could also be case of improved CNS function with compound lower body training.

Or, more likely, the improvements in the core musculature with lower body training results in an improvement in force production by the upper.

Br
My main thing is that the idea of whole-body growth doesn't hold up with simple observation. It's far too common to see highly trained upper bodies with the lower body of a marathon runner.

benjwg

Awards
The reason it will have limited success is the lack of variety and that the "program" lacks any real sense of progression or overload. The body will adapt to relatively quickly to a very basic and lackluster routine like this.

Also, the workout from a game of rugby is nowhere near a structured leg workout not to mention the fact that there is limited hamstring and glute involvement. Unless your vastus medialis is drooping over your patella, you still need to train your legs.
Did I say I dont train my legs? I do this once a week.
either way, my legs are too big for my liking in comparison to the rest of me mk

Thanks for a bit of constructive criticism about the workout though.

I agree the variety does suck but still seems to me it will hit the muscles I would want it to as much as I would like. Its the only problem with home gyms... More variety needs more space

I figured ramping the weight up every week would give me the benefits I was after.

Think I will go with boogymans suggestion but 3 exercises a day 3x a week just seems lazy lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
either way, my legs are too big for my liking in comparison to the rest of me mk

I agree the variety does suck but still seems to me it will hit the muscles I would want it to as much as I would like. Its the only problem with home gyms... More variety needs more space

I figured ramping the weight up every week would give me the benefits I was after.

Think I will go with boogymans suggestion but 3 exercises a day 3x a week just seems lazy lol
Linear periodization doesn't work.

boogyman

Awards
Linear periodization doesn't work.
Saying it does not work is not really accurate. I would rephrase that to say it will not work for a long period of time. Thats why there are dual factor 5x5s (among a myriad of other programs) when one has progressed past the point a linear workout will work.

boogyman

Awards

You don't have to do just three exercises. The correct placement of accessory movements will add a lot to a standard 5x5. These movements should be used to fix weak areas or address flaws.

jlpurkey

Awards
My main thing is that the idea of whole-body growth doesn't hold up with simple observation. It's far too common to see highly trained upper bodies with the lower body of a marathon runner.
Very true.... their is many of these guys at my gym. Just wanted to know if their had been any research done. I guess their is almost too many variables to prove it does make an overall difference working legs. But Im trying to build with proportion so ill keep squatting.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saying it does not work is not really accurate. I would rephrase that to say it will not work for a long period of time. Thats why there are dual factor 5x5s (among a myriad of other programs) when one has progressed past the point a linear workout will work.
I'll stick with that it doesn't work as progress is measured over years and not months.

boogyman

Awards
I think progress is progress. You add 50lbs of weight to a movement or 10lbs lean body mass to your body, in say 3-4 months, than whatever you did in that period of worked and you "progressed".

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think progress is progress. You add 50lbs of weight to a movement or 10lbs lean body mass to your body, in say 3-4 months, than whatever you did in that period of worked and you "progressed".
I think you two may be on slightly different pages. I think your point is well taken that the gains one might experience on a 5x5 could be rapid (say if you're a beginner/intermediate lifter [not even a powerlifter just a lifter]), say for instance 50lbs of mass in 3-4 months. However, his point is that if you stuck to that routine for 3-5 years, even if you took into account resets and small adjustments to 5x5, you would stall fast, and only net another 10-15lbs on top of the 50 for a total of 70lbs after 3 years. This would be in contrast to something that nets you 5lbs a month, but allows for a more continuous period of growth, and at the end of 3 years you now have 180lbs of growth. Obviously you don't see that many 370-430lb people of muscle walking around, but you get the picture now I hope.

The utility of 5x5 for a short term, rapid gains phase I don't think is highly disputed. However, it's greatest utility is just that- for short-term, fast gains. Once you plateau a number of times, switch to a routine with smart(er) periodization.

boogyman

Awards
I think you two may be on slightly different pages. I think your point is well taken that the gains one might experience on a 5x5 could be rapid (say if you're a beginner/intermediate lifter [not even a powerlifter just a lifter]), say for instance 50lbs of mass in 3-4 months. However, his point is that if you stuck to that routine for 3-5 years, even if you took into account resets and small adjustments to 5x5, you would stall fast, and only net another 10-15lbs on top of the 50 for a total of 70lbs after 3 years. This would be in contrast to something that nets you 5lbs a month, but allows for a more continuous period of growth, and at the end of 3 years you now have 180lbs of growth. Obviously you don't see that many 370-430lb people of muscle walking around, but you get the picture now I hope.

The utility of 5x5 for a short term, rapid gains phase I don't think is highly disputed. However, it's greatest utility is just that- for short-term, fast gains. Once you plateau a number of times, switch to a routine with smart(er) periodization.

I agree with what you say and have said things along the same lines in a few posts like this. I said as much in post#23 (worded a little different, but the sentiment was the same). I think we disagree on programming for a new/intermediate lifter.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Progress for a newbie is easy and can be done with practically any template provided intensity is present. 5x5 and/or SS, for all of their merits, have a very limited shelf life and efficacy to a trainee since linear and/or Western periodization are poor choices for long-term progress. Adding 50 lbs to a squat when your max is 225 isn't exactly something that is difficult to do.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards

554760_495222620505173_1934338163_n.jpg

lol. but seriously. even if your legs are bigger, still work them as the gains will slow down. you could at least spend time on mobility and strength so you can train for more years without injury.

on the learning part, reading about proven programs and understanding the reasons why it works as well as doing the programs for months can teach you what works and why it works. slapping together exercises without any reason other then you like them, without any built in progression, without regulation, and without regard to intensity, volume, load, and frequency is not a good program by any means.

why its terrible, here are some points.
1)upright rows are horrible for your shoulders. i will let you do some googling on what it does, mainly impingement. many people do it to hit the medial delts and upper traps. you could be doing overhead press for the delts and get more out of it with less chance of injury. throw in some cleans, snatches, seated goodmornings, and/or facepulls and your upper traps will thank you as well.

2)your exercise selection gives you twice as much work on the smallest muscles. that should be reversed if anything or at least balanced. the biceps, shoulders and triceps are movers in bench and rows. so i ask, why not do more for chest and back?

3)where is you progression in load? when do you up the weight, or up the sets, or up the reps, etc? do you have a deload week? do you need one?

4)trunk work? you know, abs, low back, hips. mobility work for the hips and shoulders, you know prehab stuff. you could lift more with overhead presses, squats, deadlifts, rows, etc with a stronger more mobile trunk and hips.

5)only doing legs as an afterthought can in the long run produce imbalances on your physique. as mentioned above you could work on mobility and strength with your legs which can and will improve the rugby you also play

then you went too light. you can do 3 sets of 5 and see strength and mass gains. 5/3/1 is a great example of 3 work sets that has been proven to work. so you should also look into your intensity, not just percentages of max but how hard you strain.

do you not have access to a power cage? or bumper plates? or knowing when you are done with a lift. 5/3/1 program states you should leave on in the tank. not go to eccentric failure so you dont need a spotter. i train at home alone several days a week and i can and will strain hard enough to burst blood vessels all over mu body and in my eyes at least once a month.

now i understand if you dont believe in a workout. many people will not put in their all into a plan they dont want to do so no matter how great it is it wont work cause the person did not work.

Curls - more for biceps.

it is full body. but so is squats and dips. and they are better choices for more results in less time with fewer exercises and fewer possible injuries (mainly by dropping upright rows which i cannot say enough bad things about).

an optimal full body should focus on movements not muscles. if you try and hit every muscle individually you may end up with 20-30 exercises. do 3-5 sets per exercises and you could be doing 60 - 150 sets. how long do you think that will take? how effective do you think that will be? there is a direct relationship between intensity and volume. the greater the volume the lower the possible intensity.

i would take a note from dan john for your workout ideas.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/mass_made_simple

i like to recommend using the biggest bang for your buck on full body. in other words only use isolation to work on a weakness or injury, not as a bread and butter move. using isolation on full body workouts is like majoring in the minors. try to train these 5 movements and in this order of importance:
1)loaded carries
2)squats
3)hip hinge
4)pulling
5)pressing

you could try:
workout A
squats
pulling/rowing
farmers
abs
mobility work

workout B
deadlift/swings
pressing
fill in the holes for weaknesses or injuries
mobility work

you cover all 5 movements plus more for injury prevention. do this 3 times a week. so one week you will do workout a twice, the next workout b twice. simple, covers all the bases.

i think it was pavel tsatsouline that wrote about a strength program that was as simple as something like deadlifts and dips. 3 or more times a week and thats it. do those with enough volume each workout, eat enough food, and you will grow.

the point is keep it simple. do major movements as 80% of your work. leave the 20% for fluff, mobility, prehab, etc. and do what works as proven by a hundred plus years of results from those before us.