Crossfit Style circuits

pegsytrotter

pegsytrotter

Awards
I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of any good Crossfit style circuit sessions. I've only started doing them recently but have found they make a massive difference in muscle mass and toning. Does anyone else use this style of training?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of any good Crossfit style circuit sessions. I've only started doing them recently but have found they make a massive difference in muscle mass and toning. Does anyone else use this style of training?
Good info on CrossFit and I guess a MUST Read:

http://www.tsmethod.com/blog/crossfit-workouts-what-is-wrong-with-crossfit/
http://fitfinity.net/2011/01/19/crossfit-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/
http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/01/crossfit-endurance-tabata-sprints-and.html

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
prowler 20meter push -> tire roll 10 flips-.Prowler push 20 meters rest, repeat.

take bets on who will puke first.

if you want to get freaky with it, add in a pair of 35lb kettle bells for swings (one in each hand)

dillianc

Awards
A good cardio one is to run a mile row 2000m and run a mile.

The filthy fifty is an excellent one to look into. It is killer.
and one I have modified is known as the "Murph" check them out

pegsytrotter

pegsytrotter

Awards
Yeah I've done he filthy fifty before, that was perfect for what I'm after. I think my favourite is the seven. I was just after more sessions like that really

pegsytrotter

pegsytrotter

Awards
Yeah i've done filthy fifty, very good session. I think my favourite is the seven. I was just after more sessions like that, that mix good weights but with a good cardiovascular workout as well.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Do you do the silly looking pullups and pushups?
:lmao: I have seen those hahaha the weird "shake it up" Pull ups xD and they don't even get full ROM yet they think they just did 10+ Pull ups!

boogyman

Awards
:lmao: I have seen those hahaha the weird "shake it up" Pull ups xD and they don't even get full ROM yet they think they just did 10+ Pull ups!
The pushups remind me of someone doing "The Worm" in place, and the pullups look like a frog jumping straight up in the air.

boogyman

Awards
[video=youtube;Io6zGgZILYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6zGgZILYc[/video]

dillianc

Awards
Even though I have just begun im proud to say I don't do worm pushups or half pull ups.

I do enjoy watching people do them though. However I find that it's necessary I tell them they look like they are practicing the worm.

A bunch of people at the studio I go to just did the murph. I would love to give it a go but 100 Pull ups would probably destroy me.

pegsytrotter

pegsytrotter

Awards
Boogyman yeah a lot of the stuff is ridiculous! I think there is prob 10 sessions I wouldn't do for every one I would. I'm just finding them to be some good hard sessions and giving good functional strength. I fancied a change from do a set, rest for a few mins, do another set etc

boogyman

Awards
Boogyman yeah a lot of the stuff is ridiculous! I think there is prob 10 sessions I wouldn't do for every one I would. I'm just finding them to be some good hard sessions and giving good functional strength. I fancied a change from do a set, rest for a few mins, do another set etc

Lol...sorry to troll your thread. The idea of crossfit is good, just some of the implementation is bad. The form a lot of people use on some of the movements just looks plain scary. The only reason I made comments is a video showing some of the worse examples os crossfit is still on my mind. Good luck in your training.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Lol...sorry to troll your thread. The idea of crossfit is good, just some of the implementation is bad. The form a lot of people use on some of the movements just looks plain scary. The only reason I made comments is a video showing some of the worse examples os crossfit is still on my mind. Good luck in your training.
Hence why I linked those links...it's thin ice threading. I would never do crossfit IMO, but I do understand it more now, and actually have come to respect a few people who live by it.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fact is the kipping pull up is legit and a viable move. The way one needs to look at it is, is like the difference between the push press and shoulder press. Both are similar, but to call the push press a cheating form of the shoulder press would flat out wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The pushups remind me of someone doing "The Worm" in place, and the pullups look like a frog jumping straight up in the air.
Burpees similar to 8 count body builders have been around a long time and are legit as well. They are in fact something that is not wildly disputed in their effectiveness.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Fact is the kipping pull up is legit and a viable move. The way one needs to look at it is, is like the difference between the push press and shoulder press. Both are similar, but to call the push press a cheating form of the shoulder press would flat out wrong.

What made me laugh Roger is that I remember a guy doing a real pronounced weird swing of his whole boddy...with a 25lb plate hanging...and the plate dropped and almost hit another guy :/ I agree it might be needed to train different portions of the movement, I just feel it looks sorta...funny? and dangerous if they add weight to it.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Burpees similar to 8 count body builders have been around a long time and are legit as well. They are in fact something that is not wildly disputed in their effectiveness.

Oh and much respect to whoever can do HIIT with Burpees and not puke, I tried doing 12 sets of 30 all out 1 minute rest of all out burpees and I couldn't get past 6 :/!!!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What made me laugh Roger is that I remember a guy doing a real pronounced weird swing of his whole boddy...with a 25lb plate hanging...and the plate dropped and almost hit another guy :/ I agree it might be needed to train different portions of the movement, I just feel it looks sorta...funny? and dangerous if they add weight to it.
I wouldn't do them with weight. Though I would cheat kip to get over the bar during a dead hang if needed. I do both kipping and dead hangs. I also do not recommend kipping pull ups until one can do a decent number of dead hangs. The reason being is one should have built up strength in the shoulders/rotator cuffs and such. If you can't do any dead hangs and go straight into the kipping it could lead to injuries. But that goes without saying for a lot of exercises lol

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I wouldn't do them with weight. Though I would cheat kip to get over the bar during a dead hang if needed. I do both kipping and dead hangs. I also do not recommend kipping pull ups until one can do a decent number of dead hangs. The reason being is one should have built up strength in the shoulders/rotator cuffs and such. If you can't do any dead hangs and go straight into the kipping it could lead to injuries. But that goes without saying for a lot of exercises lol

That's true. So it is as I suspected, the Kipping does engage the rotator cuffs...do you think these can lead to injury or joint issues in the shoulder in the future?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established

That comparison can not be made. The push press utilizes acceleration in order to overcome the inertia of the barbell at rest. This allows for larger amounts of weight to be hoisted into an overhead position. In addition, the acceleration and ensuing momentum involved originate as a result of fast eccentrics at hip and knee joint fueled by large muscles at relatively stable joints. During the phase where momentum is present, your comparison to the kipping pull-up, no increases in force, as a result of the momentum, will be exerted on the shoulder girdle. The force applied is going against gravity not with it. Also, a push press is a progression to the split jerk I am not sure what true application the kipping pull-up has, other than what crossfit has dubbed explosive, dynamic and speed. With the kipping pull-up acceleration and the ensuing momentum are present during both eccentric and concentric phases and are directly applied to the most fragile ball and socket joint in the body. The small stabilizing muscles and larger prime movers are subject to fast concentrics followed by a phase where muscle tension is lost, during the transition between concentric and eccentric phases. This is where gravity then takes over and the individual basically falls through the eccentric phase with little to no tension being placed on the prime movers or stabilizers involved. At the bottom the those muscles are then forced to contract once again, with no prior tension, against mass X 9.8m/s/s. This spells out a recipe for disaster when to top it off it is done repeatedly to exhaustion where the little form that does exist has inevitably broken down.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That comparison can not be made. The push press utilizes acceleration in order to overcome the inertia of the barbell at rest. This allows for larger amounts of weight to be hoisted into an overhead position. In addition, the acceleration and ensuing momentum involved originate as a result of fast eccentrics at hip and knee joint fueled by large muscles at relatively stable joints. During the phase where momentum is present, your comparison to the kipping pull-up, no increases in force, as a result of the momentum, will be exerted on the shoulder girdle. The force applied is going against gravity not with it. Also, a push press is a progression to the split jerk I am not sure what true application the kipping pull-up has, other than what crossfit has dubbed explosive, dynamic and speed. With the kipping pull-up acceleration and the ensuing momentum are present during both eccentric and concentric phases and are directly applied to the most fragile ball and socket joint in the body. The small stabilizing muscles and larger prime movers are subject to fast concentrics followed by a phase where muscle tension is lost, during the transition between concentric and eccentric phases. This is where gravity then takes over and the individual basically falls through the eccentric phase with little to no tension being placed on the prime movers or stabilizers involved. At the bottom the those muscles are then forced to contract once again, with no prior tension, against mass X 9.8m/s/s. This spells out a recipe for disaster when to top it off it is done repeatedly to exhaustion where the little form that does exist has inevitably broken down.
Then what would you say about gymnastic rings and bar moves? As you described the movements of the kipping pull up (which isn't quite fully correct, such as at the top of the movement you do not just simply fall. You begin the decent be pushing your body away from the bar while arcing the body in a C shape. The whole process creates momentum in the horizontal plane that is transferred to momentum in the vertical plane. This allows for a more fluid movement and not a sudden jarring stop on the joints as you would have it sound. In fact, the downward progress can be correlated to the pull under during a snatch.) and your reasoning for it being bad or harmful the same could be said for a lot of the bar and rings moves in gymnastics. However, gymnasts are not widely disputed in their training are they?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Then what would you say about gymnastic rings and bar moves? As you described the movements of the kipping pull up (which isn't quite fully correct, such as at the top of the movement you do not just simply fall. You begin the decent be pushing your body away from the bar while arcing the body in a C shape. The whole process creates momentum in the horizontal plane that is transferred to momentum in the vertical plane. This allows for a more fluid movement and not a sudden jarring stop on the joints as you would have it sound. In fact, the downward progress can be correlated to the pull under during a snatch.) and your reasoning for it being bad or harmful the same could be said for a lot of the bar and rings moves in gymnastics. However, gymnasts are not widely disputed in their training are they?

You make a good point. Although I do not agree with likening it to the snatch catch. The orientation and motion of the load are very different and therefore, forces involved can not truly be comparable even if the small segment of movement appears similar. While I do understand now that there is a portion of smooth transition do you feel as if the muscle tension is maintained through the eccentric phase even with the transfer of momentum in the planes? Inevitably while some momentum will be initially transferred horizontally gravity will none the less take its course.

What would you say is the percentage of practicing individuals, on a whole, that are able to do this precisely as to ensure proper mechanics and provide the effect that you describe? In addition, are you able to maintain the mechanics and ensure the physics you describe over the time period often employed in the crossfit gyms?

If even the slightest deviation occurs then the safety, as you described, breaks down at the degree of the deviation. When it is done repeatedly with speed, often with little regard for anything else as in most facilities I've seen, the deviations become less clear and harder to correct and the ensuing results are grim. Now this could be proven true in any sport, movement, etc. but really where the problem, for me, lies is in the way these issues are approached and exacerbated at least by cross fit individuals and instructors in my area.

As for my opinions on gymnastics rings and uneven bars, very few individuals continue to compete at a high level into their later ages. Also, the movements are not done as repetitively. The shoulder complex is well designed for its purposes and will maintain structural integrity rather well under various conditions. Over time I believe the kipping will prove to be much more of a detriment than a benefit.

Callejul

Awards
Most $hit in crossfit is done to failure or close to. Snatch -> kipping pull-ups -> 400m run. (for 1 round..... now do 6 more....) . Yea good luck maintaining proper form on moves with little to no rest. Crossfit(Generally) is a poor form of training.

Callejul

Awards
prowler 20meter push -> tire roll 10 flips-.Prowler push 20 meters rest, repeat.

take bets on who will puke first.

if you want to get freaky with it, add in a pair of 35lb kettle bells for swings (one in each hand)
I don't know if you label this "crossfit" but I like it...

dillianc

Awards
I just did one that consisted of rowing for 2500meters and at every minute you completed 5 reverse burpees.

I almost died.... It took me 15 minutes consisted of 75 reverse burpees and by the end my legs were vibrating. One of the best workouts I have ever done.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's true. So it is as I suspected, the Kipping does engage the rotator cuffs...do you think these can lead to injury or joint issues in the shoulder in the future?
As with most movements without proper strength and mechanics it is certainly possible. I would assume slap tears would most likely be the immediate injuries one could see. Though IMO that isn't necessarily a reason not to ever do them. I've been doing them for 7 or so years and have had no issues. I even had a right shoulder injury in my teens, but have since rehabbed and built appropriate shoulder strength before getting into kipping pull ups.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do feel there is an amount of tension maintained for a period, but yes not to a full extent. Though it helps in the transition.

Percentage? Not sure, but I would agree tht there are a lot out there that do not or not always follow proper mechanics. Then people mix in the butterfly pull up, but I have not been able to get that one down or know as much about it mechanically.

As a note I do like crossfit and it has been immensely helpful for me in my career and it fits in perfect for what mine and my buddies lives depend on, but I am also not blind. Standards of practice and teaching can and does vary greatly. A lot of people out there are doing oly lifts without have truly learned properly as the are far more technical than people give credit for

For me, my grip usually goes before my form breaks down in the kipping pull up. I also have good strength in the dead hang and do not recommend the kipping till an individual does

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Most $hit in crossfit is done to failure or close to. Snatch -> kipping pull-ups -> 400m run. (for 1 round..... now do 6 more....) . Yea good luck maintaining proper form on moves with little to no rest. Crossfit(Generally) is a poor form of training.
It is, until you get good at it which shouldn't take extremely long. Most people I see who stick with it, benefit greatly from it and become elite level trainers in multiple aspects.

I will never do kipping pull-ups myself though. For anyone over 200 pounds - or any big dude, this is asking for an injury...too much risk for not a great return. I'll keep my pull-ups strict and controlled.

pegsytrotter

pegsytrotter

Awards
define functional please.
Functional training is when you train your body for movements that they will actually use in real life.

Unless you want to make this a specific movement for whatever sport they are doing etc it is hard to do, but anything that will involve a lot of muscles to not only perform the movement, but also for stabilisation then this is functional. Let's use lat raises as an example, great for isolating the medial deltoids but when in life are you really going to lift something like that?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Functional training is when you train your body for movements that they will actually use in real life.

Unless you want to make this a specific movement for whatever sport they are doing etc it is hard to do, but anything that will involve a lot of muscles to not only perform the movement, but also for stabilisation then this is functional. Let's use lat raises as an example, great for isolating the medial deltoids but when in life are you really going to lift something like that?
i used to think that too. now i lift weights to get stronger overall. i train my sports movements to get better at my sport. i do not lift in a manner that simulates a movement in my sport. the speed of which i do my sport makes it impossible to mimic with weights. plus training slower with make my sport slow. so no thanks.

functional weight training is a misnomer. at least by that definition. this is my opinion, but what most people see as functional weight lifting is just efficient weight lifting in that it will take less exercises with less sets/reps to accomplish the desire to stimulate adaptation of the body. for example, barbell squats are better then leg press.

to further the idea, weight lifting is a skill. if you squat more you will get much better at squatting then any other leg based movement. you will still get better/stronger at running and other lower body based exercises so it has a functional purpose even though it does not mimic the movement.

and if training a [functional] movement is critical then would the above example show also like this, if you are a better/stronger runner you are also a better/stronger squatter. the better, functional part would work both ways. but it rarely does with functional training. at least how most people define functional.

i would define a good functional training session as one that allows for many muscles and joints to work together in a synergistic manner while also increasing mobility and force output across a broad spectrum to meet a specific and or general goal.