Crossfit Style circuits

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Callejul View Post
    Most $hit in crossfit is done to failure or close to. Snatch -> kipping pull-ups -> 400m run. (for 1 round..... now do 6 more....) . Yea good luck maintaining proper form on moves with little to no rest. Crossfit(Generally) is a poor form of training.
    It is, until you get good at it which shouldn't take extremely long. Most people I see who stick with it, benefit greatly from it and become elite level trainers in multiple aspects.

I will never do kipping pull-ups myself though. For anyone over 200 pounds - or any big dude, this is asking for an injury...too much risk for not a great return. I'll keep my pull-ups strict and controlled.

2. Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig

define functional please.
    Functional training is when you train your body for movements that they will actually use in real life.

Unless you want to make this a specific movement for whatever sport they are doing etc it is hard to do, but anything that will involve a lot of muscles to not only perform the movement, but also for stabilisation then this is functional. Let's use lat raises as an example, great for isolating the medial deltoids but when in life are you really going to lift something like that?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by pegsytrotter View Post
    Functional training is when you train your body for movements that they will actually use in real life.

Unless you want to make this a specific movement for whatever sport they are doing etc it is hard to do, but anything that will involve a lot of muscles to not only perform the movement, but also for stabilisation then this is functional. Let's use lat raises as an example, great for isolating the medial deltoids but when in life are you really going to lift something like that?
    i used to think that too. now i lift weights to get stronger overall. i train my sports movements to get better at my sport. i do not lift in a manner that simulates a movement in my sport. the speed of which i do my sport makes it impossible to mimic with weights. plus training slower with make my sport slow. so no thanks.

functional weight training is a misnomer. at least by that definition. this is my opinion, but what most people see as functional weight lifting is just efficient weight lifting in that it will take less exercises with less sets/reps to accomplish the desire to stimulate adaptation of the body. for example, barbell squats are better then leg press.

to further the idea, weight lifting is a skill. if you squat more you will get much better at squatting then any other leg based movement. you will still get better/stronger at running and other lower body based exercises so it has a functional purpose even though it does not mimic the movement.

and if training a [functional] movement is critical then would the above example show also like this, if you are a better/stronger runner you are also a better/stronger squatter. the better, functional part would work both ways. but it rarely does with functional training. at least how most people define functional.

i would define a good functional training session as one that allows for many muscles and joints to work together in a synergistic manner while also increasing mobility and force output across a broad spectrum to meet a specific and or general goal.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Updated Common Training Styles
    By jweave23 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 08:17 PM
  2. Best training style for quad size??
    By Hellhound in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 09:58 AM
  3. Replies: 24