First time training a 16yr old... Any tips/advice?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I'm taking on a new client, 16yr old male, up & coming boxer... 178lb... 5'11"... I don't want to effect his boxing negatively in terms of flexibility/ROM... So I'm thinking of keeping most movements compound & as explosive as possible...

JD

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking on a new client, 16yr old male, up & coming boxer... 178lb... 5'11"... I don't want to effect his boxing negatively in terms of flexibility/ROM... So I'm thinking of keeping most movements compound & as explosive as possible...

JD
I am a big fan of TRX products (suspension and rip trainers) when it comes to working with my athletes and general population individuals, a like. I would focus on balance and agility with him along with core stability/strength and explosive power from a bio-mechanically disadvantaged position (ie. off balance). If you know how to teach and progress the olympic lifts, those would be a great addition too. Keep the compounds in 100% but don't lose sight of the dynamic nature of the sport, weights don't move opponents do. Strength is high on the list of priorities but as an extremely dynamic sport the individual should be trained in a way to complement.

Edit: If rodja would chime in too I know he has a background in MMA. I used to fight in high school but got away from it when I stopped wrestling.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I am a big fan of TRX products (suspension and rip trainers) when it comes to working with my athletes and general population individuals, a like. I would focus on balance and agility with him along with core stability/strength and explosive power from a bio-mechanically disadvantaged position (ie. off balance). If you know how to teach and progress the olympic lifts, those would be a great addition too. Keep the compounds in 100% but don't lose sight of the dynamic nature of the sport, weights don't move opponents do. Strength is high on the list of priorities but as an extremely dynamic sport the individual should be trained in a way to complement.

Edit: If rodja would chime in too I know he has a background in MMA. I used to fight in high school but got away from it when I stopped wrestling.
Good to hear as I do use the TRX suspension trainer already... The rip trainer I have seen but never used... Bosu ball is going to be included for sure... I'm thinking plyometrics for explosive power... I'm not familiar with Olympic lifts unfortunately... Not my field atm... In future maybe...

JD

wrathchild281

Awards
core would be main focus. Explosive compound movements. Higher reps 10-15 range. muscle wise id say delts and legs would be the two main builders