The Ideal Rest Week

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
Hey guys, I've planned my rest week to begin on Monday next week. I feel it's definately necessary, I can't remember the last time I've skipped out on a workout. I've searched around and I hear so many mixed opinions on rest weeks so I've got a few questions on how I should go about things. Should I lower my caloric intake? I'm currently recomping. Also, should I do my normal cardio routine? I work a job that requires a decent amount activity so I won't be sitting around all day. Any tips/suggestions on how to execute the proper rest week will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

boogyman

Awards
I would keep calories about the same. As for cardio, if your taking the break because you need it I would skip the cardio too personally. Relax, maybe take some long walks after dinner. Then when you get back in the gym continue to hit it hard.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Everyone's body is different some people need a whole week or even more. Since this is your first you prob will recover quick just try and feel your body out.

Just eat the same amount of calories you burn a day clean and you'll be fine. I usually drop the intensity of my cardio I wouldn't go running any marathons on your week off.. Hearts a muscle too ;)

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. My body needs the rest, I'm showing a few signs of overtraining and I'm starting to hit some plateaus. Just trying to do it properly because since I've hit <8% bf even small changes in my diet or training show in the mirror.

rw357

Awards
in the middle of the rest week, I would spend a good 30 minutes doing stretches for my full body. I only do a few minutes normally.

I would also get a massage.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep up the cardio. The idea of rest weeks for the most part is to give your CNS a breather, although some people might need it too because they're so beat up physically (and/or emotionally if you do any HIT system including DC) and need to give their joints a break to cool down. But keep up the cardio to keep up your metabolism and conditioning, and otherwise eat a good amount during the week and do relaxing things when you're not at work. Lastly, if you can eat more without losing shape, I would recommend doing so. A lot of your best gains may be realized during your off week, so you wouldn't want to short-change yourself right now. And if needed, you could always just throw in more cardio as needed if you're gaining more fat than you'd like.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I try to make my weeks off as far away (mentally) from training as possible. This involves eating based on cravings and hunger, and activity based on desire. I try not to plan anything since my training weeks (and life for that matter) are laid out in a spread sheet as it is; just let things flow and try to enjoy life. The only thing I do more of thats planned is stretching and foam rolling.

Br

67nova

Awards
I try to make my weeks off as far away (mentally) from training as possible. This involves eating based on cravings and hunger, and activity based on desire. I try not to plan anything since my training weeks (and life for that matter) are laid out in a spread sheet as it is; just let things flow and try to enjoy life. The only thing I do more of thats planned is stretching and foam rolling.

Br
Best advice/experience there is,its hard for me at first and never really fully let go but just the releive of worries/stress about diet/training makes a huge difference.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I This involves eating based on cravings and hunger, and activity based on desire.
I don't even know what this means anymore, lol.

boogyman

Awards

Br
This is basically what I was trying to say. Your not going to lose any gains or get fat in a week anyhow. I usually use vacations for my rest week. I will usually go for a long walk every day with my family, and maybe play basketball once or twice. As for diet, I just eat whatever I feel like eating, usually my diet is very poor on these weeks.

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
I appreciate all the good advice guys. Rest week is going well I've just been sticking to some mild cardio when I'm in the mood for it and keeping my cals close to maintenance.