Bulking questions..

whit2cold

Awards
I'm a real beginner and I've been working out for about a year now.. I was taught to do around 12-15 reps for about 5 sets to get a kinda bulky/cut look but I want to really add size to my muscles...I'm 5'10 170 and should I go 5x8 or so to get bigger or just stay with what I'm doing?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'm a real beginner and I've been working out for about a year now.. I was taught to do around 12-15 reps for about 5 sets to get a kinda bulky/cut look but I want to really add size to my muscles...I'm 5'10 170 and should I go 5x8 or so to get bigger or just stay with what I'm doing?
Bulking comes from Nutrition and Rest first, proper workouts later. After revisiting your nutrition basics and planning a diet on a caloric surplus, look into Wendler's 5/3/1 book. Perfect for beginners to pile on some mass and strength.

Here's a link for a real easy explanation of it, to really get it more and understand the program GET THE BOOK.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/hardcore-look-at-jim-wendlers-5-3-1-powerlifting-system.html

If you really like working out in a more..."Bodybuilder style" many people like the PHAT alternative for bulking...
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Rucksdaddy

Awards
Is what you are doing working? If not, then change up. Lowering the reps will help you add strength, which the end result being able to handle more weight leading to an increase in muscle size. You didn't list your routine, diet or supplementation. Many things add up to factoring in muscle gains. Try rotating in different rep ranges (6 reps for some, 10 for others, etc.) on different exercises.

APPNUT

boogyman

Awards
I always feel beginners should do lower reps to add some strength first. Its also easier to have good form for 5 good reps than for 12, especially on the heavy compound movements.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I always feel beginners should do lower reps to add some strength first. Its also easier to have good form for 5 good reps than for 12, especially on the heavy compound movements.
I feel beginners should consult a personal trainer to at least coach them in proper form. That said I think 5/3/1 is a good starting plan for beginners.

boogyman

Awards
I feel beginners should consult a personal trainer to at least coach them in proper form. That said I think 5/3/1 is a good starting plan for beginners.
I prefer a 5x5 for beginners. After a few months of that 5-3-1.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I prefer a 5x5 for beginners. After a few months of that 5-3-1.
I know :D! I saw your post with Rodja , and I agree more with his ideas behind 5/3/1.

boogyman

Awards
I know :D! I saw your post with Rodja , and I agree more with his ideas behind 5/3/1.
See, the thing is I agree with him too, partly. I don't think a person should just blindly follow a routine. A person can add assistance movements to correct flaws or weakness to a 5x5 just as easy as he can to 5-3-1. I just don't see the point of holding someone back when the gains come easy for a beginner. Why add 5 lbs a month when you can add 5 lbs a week?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
See, the thing is I agree with him too, partly. I don't think a person should just blindly follow a routine. A person can add assistance movements to correct flaws or weakness to a 5x5 just as easy as he can to 5-3-1. I just don't see the point of holding someone back when the gains come easy for a beginner. Why add 5 lbs a month when you can add 5 lbs a week?
For the same reason most people are not educated in the noticing of imbalances and they can further worsen them with adding them without knowledge. Let's just face it, both are good programs and we are nitpicking the deep fundamentals haha...in the OP and everyone is gonna pick w.e they want :p And I like 5x5 too, hella good for mass and strength.

boogyman

Awards
For the same reason most people are not educated in the noticing of imbalances and they can further worsen them with adding them without knowledge. Let's just face it, both are good programs and we are nitpicking the deep fundamentals haha...in the OP and everyone is gonna pick w.e they want :p And I like 5x5 too, hella good for mass and strength.

Just for arguements sake...would not a person have to do the same thing as far as choosing assistance or corrective movements for both programs? I fail to see how this arguements makes a 5-3-1 better for beginners.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Just for arguements sake...would not a person have to do the same thing as far as choosing assistance or corrective movements for both programs? I fail to see how this arguements makes a 5-3-1 better for beginners.
5/3/1 in its most basic templates, like BBB makes it easier and sets the first assistance as the Main lift at 50-60% for a 10x5. Then it already suggests the other assistance exercise in relation to the movements trained and in the manner they can help, along with an example of reps for the 5 sets. I guess it makes it easier for beginners to follow this, instead of randomly adding them at will. For example, there's many people who would think a Deadlift day would be a perfect day to train Lats (I know it isn't...) but people seem to forget that dead lifts are more of a posterior chain exercise and seem to categorize it as back. (Even though with different grips one can recruit more Traps/Back involvement in the motion)

boogyman

Awards
5/3/1 in its most basic templates, like BBB makes it easier and sets the first assistance as the Main lift at 50-60% for a 10x5. Then it already suggests the other assistance exercise in relation to the movements trained and in the manner they can help, along with an example of reps for the 5 sets. I guess it makes it easier for beginners to follow this, instead of randomly adding them at will. For example, there's many people who would think a Deadlift day would be a perfect day to train Lats (I know it isn't...) but people seem to forget that dead lifts are more of a posterior chain exercise and seem to categorize it as back. (Even though with different grips one can recruit more Traps/Back involvement in the motion)

I still don't agree, but I guess its not a big deal. Corrective movements will be different for each person reguardless of the program. I am doing the triumverate right now (just started 5-3-1 after months of 3x5 and 5x5), but I changed a couple of the movements Wendler suggested in that variation to address my specific weaknesses.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I still don't agree, but I guess its not a big deal. Corrective movements will be different for each person reguardless of the program. I am doing the triumverate right now (just started 5-3-1 after months of 3x5 and 5x5), but I changed a couple of the movements Wendler suggested in that variation to address my specific weaknesses.
Yeah the Triumvirate is real nice for that, hence its called the "Smart man's training method" , it's up to the trainee to find what works best for them and use the 2 exercises they most benefit from for this workouts. Tacking one's weaknesses sounds like a perfect idea IMO.