My upper lower: opinions

  1. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    My upper lower: opinions


    Monday Upper:Flat bench 3x5
    Seated DB press 4x6-12
    dips
    BB Curls 3x6-12
    Rows 3x6-12

    Tuesday Lower:Squats 3x5 - 3x8-12 (6 total sets)
    Romanian Deadlift 4x8-12
    calf raises 10x15-20

    Thursday Upper:OHP 3x5
    DB/BB Bench 4x8-12
    Pull ups
    Shrugs 3x8-12
    Rows 3x8-12
    Curls 3x8-12

    Friday Lowereadlift
    lunges 4x8-12
    calf raises 10x15-20

    I'd like to hear al your thoughts on how i could improve it!Thank you

  2. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Buy Wendler's 5/3/1 book...Your routine looks a bit like it, and you could benefit from the knowledge in the book as for assistance work and periodizing muscle's and movements.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    I'll look into it!thank's for your input
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonycfh View Post
    I'll look into it!thank's for your input
    It's a good split, the one you got. I just mean to help yah add a bit more ideas behind it and also get some notion of progression and rep ranges for the lifts. But generally I like your scheme!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  5. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    What are the goals your split was devised to achieve?
  6. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    For gaining srength and mass.My reasoning for using a 3x5 and a 8-12 rep range for the big compounds
  7. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonycfh View Post
    For gaining srength and mass.My reasoning for using a 3x5 and a 8-12 rep range for the big compounds
    Honestly get the 5/3/1 book, it will help with this. Your routine is not far off from it and it will help keep track of the progression needed for strength gains. Size will come by itself and from assistance exercises.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  8. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    When you say strength and mass, are you leaning toward more powerlifting, pure strength, or physique changing goals while being strong, in addition? Reason why I ask is because, in my opinion, I don't see that being enough work to elicit physique changing results, if that is your goal. As far as strength you've got the main lifts covered, but what about supplemental work?

    Edit: Unless you are very new to lifting. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been lifting?
  9. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron
    When you say strength and mass, are you leaning toward more powerlifting, pure strength, or physique changing goals while being strong, in addition? Reason why I ask is because, in my opinion, I don't see that being enough work to elicit physique changing results, if that is your goal. As far as strength you've got the main lifts covered, but what about supplemental work?
    More towards physique changing but being strong aswell.What do you recommend i change?As for supplements i use ON Whey protein, Creatine Monohydrate and a pre workout.
  10. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    Been lifting 9 months.started on a 5x5.i'm currently on a chest tricep, legs, shoulders traps and back biceps routine
  11. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonycfh View Post
    More towards physique changing but being strong aswell.What do you recommend i change?As for supplements i use ON Whey protein, Creatine Monohydrate and a pre workout.
    Not supplements as far as dietary. I should have been clearer, my apologies. Supplemental lifts geared more toward isolation for physique orientated goals and weak link strengthening for strength goals.

    Personally what I would change is your volume. Add a few more exercises for each body part and add in some isolation exercises on top of the compounds. I also wouldn't approach your split just in terms of upper/lower if your looking to create a physique and to just be strong on the side. If you want to keep the upper/lower in your split I have to say I am partial to Layne Norton's PHAT routine over most of the strength protocols often advised on this site (ie. 5/3/1, WS4SB, etc.). When it comes to combining the best of both worlds this is superior from a bodybuilding standpoint. Here is a link where details are laid out:

    http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html
  12. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yeah PHAT is good if you want to gear yourself more for an aesthetic physique like Bodybuilders, reason I like WS4SB and 5/3/1 is because it is more geared for strength. Even though Norton's plan does include Dynamic Movements and power days, I do not like the way its set up in the manner of sheer strength gains, yet for someone concerned for Beach Muscles and also having a descent amount of power it fits perfectly.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  13. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    Ok then, what kind of 4 day split would you guys recommend for bodybuilding hitting each muscle group once a week?How much volume should i be using?
  14. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    and i only have A bench, squat rack and barbells and dumbbells
  15. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonycfh View Post
    Ok then, what kind of 4 day split would you guys recommend for bodybuilding hitting each muscle group once a week?How much volume should i be using?
    I do not know much about Bodybuilding, and Splits are not my specialty...so I would recommend going with a known scheme that has worked for many:

    Power-Rep Range-Shock by Eric Broser.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  16. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Yeah PHAT is good if you want to gear yourself more for an aesthetic physique like Bodybuilders, reason I like WS4SB and 5/3/1 is because it is more geared for strength. Even though Norton's plan does include Dynamic Movements and power days, I do not like the way its set up in the manner of sheer strength gains, yet for someone concerned for Beach Muscles and also having a descent amount of power it fits perfectly.
    Beach muscles? (hahahaha) That program is by no means set up for beach muscles. That term is degrading, to a serious bodybuilder, and in fact denotes itself to individuals who's training split consists of chest/biceps/abs repeat. Just as a side note (see attached videos) thats double overhand unstrapped, by the man who wrote and practices the program. Strength is not the overall goal of the program, so to liken it to programs or mindsets concerned with just strength is misguided.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0a7v6_W-Mo 635 for 3

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXG_pOjYMjc 700 at competition
  17. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Beach muscles? (hahahaha) That program is by no means set up for beach muscles. That term is degrading, to a serious bodybuilder, and in fact denotes itself to individuals who's training split consists of chest/biceps/abs repeat. Just as a side note (see attached videos) thats double overhand unstrapped, by the man who wrote and practices the program. Strength is not the overall goal of the program, so to liken it to programs or mindsets concerned with just strength is misguided.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0a7v6_W-Mo 635 for 3

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXG_pOjYMjc 700 at competition
    I admit I went a bit far. I am not mainly concerned for aesthetics and bodybuilding is not a passion of mine, I care about sheer power and strength...I said this because its featurette on the site that has the whole breakdown grew popular in my gym and suddenly all the Curl Bro's there started "Squatting" and doing "Romanian Deadlifts" and I quote because their squats are 10% ROP and 90% scream and hype at 135lbs and their Romanians look like a dream come true for an Ortho haha.
    It does prove to be useful however in developing explosiveness and also mastering power compound movements, sadly it is bodybuilding geared...it carries the ideas of aesthetics...I don't go well with those. Yet I do admit it is not a standard "Beach Muscle" routine...I said that in the sense of it being geared for aesthetics, but as far as BBing , it is the most complete routine I have seen.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  18. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza

    I do not know much about Bodybuilding, and Splits are not my specialty...so I would recommend going with a known scheme that has worked for many:

    Power-Rep Range-Shock by Eric Broser.
    This looks interesting. PHAT looks kind of complicated and i don't have the use of any machines but i would like to do it!
  19. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I admit I went a bit far. I am not mainly concerned for aesthetics and bodybuilding is not a passion of mine, I care about sheer power and strength...I said this because its featurette on the site that has the whole breakdown grew popular in my gym and suddenly all the Curl Bro's there started "Squatting" and doing "Romanian Deadlifts" and I quote because their squats are 10% ROP and 90% scream and hype at 135lbs and their Romanians look like a dream come true for an Ortho haha.
    It does prove to be useful however in developing explosiveness and also mastering power compound movements, sadly it is bodybuilding geared...it carries the ideas of aesthetics...I don't go well with those. Yet I do admit it is not a standard "Beach Muscle" routine...I said that in the sense of it being geared for aesthetics, but as far as BBing , it is the most complete routine I have seen.
    All I have to say is that degrading something, at the drop of a hat, that you know very little about and to be so fast to write it off because the half brains in the gym took a liking to it is being extremely short sighted. For example I am a competitive bodybuilder but at the same time, for my weight, have an elite level total on my lifts and have been snatching and clean and jerking for close to 9 years. Why are you so quick to label and negatively associate something just because it differs from your own goals?
  20. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron

    All I have to say is that degrading something, at the drop of a hat, that you know very little about and to be so fast to write it off because the half brains in the gym took a liking to it is being extremely short sighted. For example I am a competitive bodybuilder but at the same time, for my weight, have an elite level total on my lifts and have been snatching and clean and jerking for close to 9 years. Why are you so quick to label and negatively associate something just because it differs from your own goals?
    9 years..woah!What kind of split do like to put on mass?
  21. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonycfh View Post
    9 years..woah!What kind of split do like to put on mass?
    As stated, I am partial to Layne's routine. Strength protocols while effective, in their own right, often fall short in eliciting full hypertrophic potential. This is due to the absence of isolation exercises, TUT, metabolic effect training, among other things. When I am not following the PHAT routine I often follow a standard bodybuilding 5 day split with movement days twice a month.

    Edit: is due***
  22. New Member
    Tonycfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8662
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron

    As stated, I am partial to Layne's routine. Strength protocols while effective, in their own right, often fall short in eliciting full hypertrophic potential. This due to the absence of isolation exercises, TUT, metabolic effect training, among other things. When I am not following the PHAT routine I often follow a standard bodybuilding 5 day split with movement days twice a month.
    Well thank's for your help i think i'll give PHAT a try
  23. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonycfh View Post
    Well thank's for your help i think i'll give PHAT a try
    No problem, good luck.
  24. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    All I have to say is that degrading something, at the drop of a hat, that you know very little about and to be so fast to write it off because the half brains in the gym took a liking to it is being extremely short sighted. For example I am a competitive bodybuilder but at the same time, for my weight, have an elite level total on my lifts and have been snatching and clean and jerking for close to 9 years. Why are you so quick to label and negatively associate something just because it differs from your own goals?
    Must be the sad reality that I have not met many people as strong and well built as you in real life. It is truly amazing you are a BBer and yet do all the Olympic lifts, not only the big 3. I know it is wrong of me being this way, sadly I bear the cross of being a discriminatory southerner, and while I believe in racial and gender equality, I lack the tact and touch to deal with stuff that goes against my personal beliefs. Mainly because the only 2 bbers are my gym are like 130 and 145 and both are under 5'5" and have used AAS since they started. None of them do Dead Lifts of any kind, and only squat on the smith machine...it is bold of me to say this but the fact I can squat more than them, bench more and row more makes me grow distant from bodybuilders of their kind. Yet I do know many are respectable and well trained lifters like yourself, its just I do not know any like you or many of the forum members (that are like this) in real life.

    Fascinating build of knowledge and power, Hats off to you brother.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  25. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    All I have to say is that degrading something, at the drop of a hat, that you know very little about and to be so fast to write it off because the half brains in the gym took a liking to it is being extremely short sighted. For example I am a competitive bodybuilder but at the same time, for my weight, have an elite level total on my lifts and have been snatching and clean and jerking for close to 9 years. Why are you so quick to label and negatively associate something just because it differs from your own goals?
    What fed did you qualify for elite?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    What fed did you qualify for elite?
    None I do not compete in powerlifting. I was proving a point by making that statement. My total is on par with elite level totals, per the chart provided by another member in a thread I posted. A thread you also posted in asking if the lifts were PRs.
  27. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,194
    Rep Power
    945900
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    None I do not compete in powerlifting. I was proving a point by making that statement. My total is on par with elite level totals, per the chart provided by another member in a thread I posted. A thread you also posted in asking if the lifts were PRs.
    Not quite the same, but still an impressive accomplishment.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36880
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    89.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Not quite the same, but still an impressive accomplishment.
    Thank you I appreciate that. I'd like to do a meet though sometime in the near future. See if I could translate my performance in the gym to the platform.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. my upper/lower split
    By jwpaine in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
  2. MY HST vs MY UPPER/LOWER FOR MASS?
    By qwerty666 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 01:25 AM
  3. please critique my upper lower split
    By jng in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 06:55 PM
  4. Okay bros, how does my new upper/lower split look?
    By Lone Wolf in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 07:42 PM
  5. Here is my upper Body 4 day split for FIna Cycle
    By pjorstad in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in