Chest advice

jgrigs

Awards
Hey guys ,

I have been training hard for just about 2 years , I can say that I have pretty
much made all the mistakes beginner pumpers could make and I have corrected
those mistakes. Everything from posture to understanding bulking and cutting and
the role of bf % to actual muscle mass.

As every specific problem ppl have , mine is my chest . For my size 5'7 .157lbs
I have wide shoulders. The top of my buddy. upper pecs , front delts and traps
have absolutely no mass. In my 2 yrs of lifting I havent been able to break plateaus
in those areas and really add any size that would show without contracting , and most of my
mass is soft

Is this a problem , am i doing something wrong with my upper body or are is this normal
progression?

In 2 years of training I have never been able to pass 50lbs dumbbells on the press
or bench over 130 lbs.

I also feel pain in my delts when i do chest excercises. Are my shoulders hindering my form
on chest workouts?

I need help !

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
How's diet? If you aren't eating enough you won't put on muscle, if you're a hard gainer you'll have to eat a lot to grow.

To build up traps chest, etc. focus on compound lifts. If you get a spotter and train heavy with plenty of rest and food you will grow for sure man.

I always try and add in one more rep or some more weight with every session and always push my body every time

Don't be afraid of failure or you will surely fail yourself. Just train like a monster, develop a mind- muscle connection, eat right and rest. Feel free to pm me and I can help ya with some growing tips. I'm about your frame wise naturally and managed to hit 175 with a low bodyfat. Started off much like you Benching low no development but after awhile i can push around some respectable weight.

jgrigs

Awards
Chest - 5 sets 10 reps Incline bench press / 4 sets 12 reps Incline dumbell flys / 5 sets 10 reps flat dumbell press /

4 sets 12 reps peck deck flys / 4 sets 12 reps cable cross overs

boogyman

Awards
I would scrap whatever your current routine is if you have been lifting for 2 years and are benching 130lbs.

I would consider training specifically for strength at this point, whatever your end goal may be. Don't try and come up with your own routine, rather use a tried and true one such as SS or a 5X5.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Hey guys
Is this a problem , am i doing something wrong with my upper body or are is this normal
progression?

In 2 years of training I have never been able to pass 50lbs dumbbells on the press
or bench over 130 lbs.

I also feel pain in my delts when i do chest excercises. Are my shoulders hindering my form
on chest workouts?

I need help !
your form may suck. watch these:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/209452-so-you-think.html

of your shoulder hurts then you need to work the hell out of your traps and learn to keep the upper back much tighter. this is covered in that link above.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
You're doing too many sets first of all. Focus on extremely slow controlled lifts, feel the muscle the whole way down and squeeze at the top for 2 seconds. Watch Dave Tate's So You Think You Can Bench videos on YouTube. Even after I had lifted for years, these videos helped me immensely. The key here is to work up to very heavy weights and use them in a very controlled manner. If you are able to do that many sets of that many reps you are doing them too fast and not with enough weight. EACH SET should be at failure by the time you are at 6 reps.

My chest routine is still probably a little too long, but here's what I do these days:

Incline Dumbbell Bench at about 20 degrees: 2 sets x 6 reps (95 lbs dumbbells extremely slow and controlled)
Incline Dumbbell Bench at about 45 degrees: 2 sets x 6 reps (85 lbs)
Incline Dumbbell Bench at about 60 degrees: 2 sets x 6 reps (70 lbs)
Flat Dumbbell Flys: 2 sets x 6 reps (60 lbs)
Chest Press Machine: 2 sets x 6 reps (Two 45s and a 10 on each side)

I also do flat bench a few days later just b/c I like doing it.

jgrigs

Awards
There is never a definite answer or direction when it comes to body building ,
I have to admit it gets frustrating , Im not giving up , but ive devoted a large part
of my life and I look fit but no size , Im going through a rough period

Ive read all the advice on low reps , fast slow movements. I guess I gotta stick to something , everything I
try I get the advice that its great or horrible.