Military press

TFlifting

Awards
Does anyone do military press anymore? I feel like it is a dying exercise even though it's my major lift in my shoulder routine... I noticed a big increase in my DB shoulder press after doing it to... Also what are some of your weights like compared to your body weight?

thehulk2203

thehulk2203

Awards
I love military press I do 225x10(3) I weight 220lbs. it its one of my main lifts I do

Sent from my HTC EVO

boogyman

Awards
I do the military press. I feel it should always be done standing though.

Last workout I did 145 x 5. I had more in the tank, I would guess I could have done about 7 reps, but I am saving my max outs for my "3" and "5-3-1" workouts and trying to just do my prescribed reps on the "5" and "deload" days. I am a rather weak presser and am much stronger in pulling and legs.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
I do the standing press, not military press. For it to be a military press your heels have to be touching. Most people say they do military press when in reality they are doing a standing press with their feet shoulder width apart.

boogyman

Awards
I guess i do to then. I keep feet shoulder width and slightly offset.

thehulk2203

thehulk2203

Awards
I do mine sitting down is it still a military press or just a shoulder press

Sent from my HTC EVO

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
I do mine sitting down is it still a military press or just a shoulder press

Sent from my HTC EVO
If your not standing with your heels touching it is not a military press. You are doing a seated shoulder press.

boogyman

Awards
My problem with doing them seated is they lose a lot of functionality. I have never in my life had to lift something heavy over my head while seated.

uvawahoowa

Awards
My problem with doing them seated is they lose a lot of functionality. I have never in my life had to lift something heavy over my head while seated.
Right, but seated shoulder press us far more taxing on the shoulders, which is better of that is what one is going for. All depends on goals

ITW

ITW

Awards
Right, but seated shoulder press us far more taxing on the shoulders, which is better of that is what one is going for. All depends on goals
Seated shoulder press is far more taxing on your kinetic chain. Terrible exercise imo

boogyman

Awards
Your right, to each his own. I look at the shoulder press as a lift something really heavy over you head movment, not a shoulder exercise.

thehulk2203

thehulk2203

Awards
If your not standing with your heels touching it is not a military press. You are doing a seated shoulder press.
Well crap guess I don't do military press after all just shoulder press

Sent from my HTC EVO

Mrpersinality

Mrpersinality

Awards
Same for flat bench press. How often do you have a flat back when pushing something? Usually you lean forward like the incline bench position. That doesn't mean it's dumb to do flat bench though.

boogyman

Awards
Same for flat bench press. How often do you have a flat back when pushing something? Usually you lean forward like the incline bench position. That doesn't mean it's dumb to do flat bench though.
But I do lift heavy things over my head while standing, pretty regularly. So if given the choice on how to train that movement, I think standing is the better option. This has nothing at all to do with benchpressing.

I also think standing presses have more importance than the benchpress.

Jenx

Jenx

Awards
Just for my own knowledge, is there a significant difference keeping the heels together?

Mrpersinality

Mrpersinality

Awards
But I do lift heavy things over my head while standing, pretty regularly. So if given the choice on how to train that movement, I think standing is the better option. This has nothing at all to do with benchpressing.

I also think standing presses have more importance than the benchpress.
I know what you mean but I'm saying I push things often at work and dont just do incline bench know what I mean

boogyman

Awards
I would imagine the core would become much more involved for balance.

boogyman

Awards
I know what you mean but I'm saying I push things often at work and dont just do incline bench know what I mean

I never said to only do overhead pressing.

I simply feel there are a handful of movements everyone should do, and the standing press is one of them. The full squat, deadlift, some form of pullup, and dips being the others.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I do them a lot. Mostly seated bb press.

I usually start at 135 and work up to 215x10. I do 4 working sets
I'm 190